Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All Sixties!

I think it's due to not getting enough Protein.

Problem is at 3 months my NUT said I was eating too much Protein. All I did was add salads to my menu.

WHAT ACTUALLY causes the hair to fall out, The only thing I have ever read id the Surgery itself, but Ihave had 3 Major surgeries and I didn't experience this.

I wish I could understand all the scientific reasons behind it because I think it's all really interesting, but my pea brain just doesn't get it. My med team has said it is due to all the metabolic changes that occur in the body as a result of the weight loss procedure.

Thanks for the responses to my questions, LIVING FREE your med team gives a more sensible answer than any I have heard, I just cannot believe it is simply the surgery unless they use a DIFFERENT kind of anathesia(Spelled this wrong) :) Everybody have a great day and good luck on your journeys

Hello,

I will be 60 in dec. My weight loss is slow...I had put on weight last month, but now slowly trying to loose it.I have just started using myfitnesspal and its great.

We think we are eating so less ,but when we log it we realize its excess calories!!

all the best to all of you. Its a journey and we will be sucessful.

Good for you for catching the problem before it got too bad!

Greetings, sixtysomethings. I'm 68, and am waiting to be sleeved. The intake process at my (very busy) local bariatric center is glacially slow! In any event, I'm well educated. I have only one more appointment (fingers crossed) before my surgery is scheduled and my pre-surgical liver-shrink diet starts.

I'm very excited, and although no specific weight loss is required by my surgeon or insurance (other than the liver-shrink one), in the last four weeks I've lost 7 pounds by watching what I eat. And in the past few months I've moved my fat a** off the recliner to walking outdoors and on a treadmill and to the NuStep. When I started counting my daily steps I rarely got more than 2,000, and now they're often over 7,000. That's a good, big change, even with my sore old knees. I am confident that after surgery I'll soon be doing my 10,000 steps/day.

I love the success stories, the real stories and the community here. Here's to my soon being on the sleeved side of life. :)

P.S. If you're not already using My Fitness Pal and Fitbit, you'd probably love them. IMHO.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Way to go! Sounds like you're ready to get this party started! Let us know when you get your surgery date.

8 months post op and I realize I have slacked off my best advice, and that is to eat before I leave home. Gained about 6 lbs. Doing a lot of traveling these days (yahoooooo!!!! what a change!), and I have been more inclined to eat something I would not have touched 2 months ago, like a jalapeno popper. My husband seems to be less hungry than me. I am going to go back to MyFitnessPal. Thanks everyone! Good luck!

Hi! I'm 61 years young and was sleeved in Feb 2014, My hair started falling out about the 4 mo. post op mark. I recently cut it short because every time I ran my fingers through it more cam out. I am just hearing about Biotin does any one know how much is recommended?

Hi! I'm 61 years young and was sleeved in Feb 2014, My hair started falling out about the 4 mo. post op mark. I recently cut it short because every time I ran my fingers through it more cam out. I am just hearing about Biotin does any one know how much is recommended?

Hi Gibble! I am 68, Hair loss for at least two months now, or more. I started Biotin before surgery, over 8 months ago. I hear it helps with regrowth but i see nothing it has done for me. Maybe if I did not take it I would be bald? LOL. I buy it at vitacost and just take one pill a day. Good luck!

Hello new to 60's ! Had my sleeve. Nov 2012! Down 139 lbs. still have more to loose have slowness down a lot! Talked to surgeon about now doing gastric bypass waiting to see what insurance says.

I think the hair falls off because the body is in shock and so uses its strength to repair the stomach..and hair is deprived of nutrition..besides we are also on liquid diet for quite some time.

I think the hair falls off because the body is in shock and so uses its strength to repair the stomach..and hair is deprived of nutrition..besides we are also on liquid diet for quite some time.

I am over a year out and was 197 lbs day of surgery. Today I am only 174 lbs. Very frustrating to compare my little weight loss to many who have lost close to and over 100 lbs. I am much healthier, off all meds and down 3 clothes sizes so I am happy but why can't I lose more? I have been eating 900 to 1000 calories, been on myfitnesspal and for the first time I have begun exercising everyday. Still no change. Just needed to vent, sorry.