Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All Sixties!

Just turned sixty the 2nd of January. After thinking about this surgery for quite some time, I decided to do it before I get too old! I got angry with my brother for not taking care of himself and for being noncompliant with doctor's orders and realized I was no better and needed to get on the stick!

Live in a very rural area of South Dakota in the southern part of the Black Hills. Waiting for appointments with dietician and psychologist. If the psych doesn't send me off somewhere, surgery could be a soon as next month!

Hi, I am not new to the forum, but have not posted previously. I am 67 and had the sleeve done Oct 15, 2013. I have lost 38 pounds. I was lurking on another forum and the weight loss of a pound to 2 pounds a day astounded me! For the last two months have been at a stand still with only about a half a pound a week. After reading that some of the members in my age group have hit plateaus, I feel much better.

As to hair loss, I have just noticed this in the last 3 weeks. Since this is supposed to be related to Protein intake, I figured that mine has dropped and I need to add more supplements back in. This may have had an effect on weight loss as well, so we will see.

My doctor and dietician gave me a diet which is about 1200 calories a day. I think that is too much for me to lose a substantial amount of weight, after reviewing posts and discovering that many on this ofrum only take in 500 to 800 a day. What do you all think?

Oh, I forgot. I also live in a sparcely populated mountainous area and have not been able to get out much with the winter cold, snow and ice.

Hi. Had my gastric sleeve done March 5th at Magee hospital in Pittsburgh. Dr Anita Courcourlas was my physician. Doing good on liquids. No pain just tired. By the way I'm 60.

I also lost 15 lbs in week 1.

I also lost 15 lbs in week 1.

Congrats on your losses.

Hi am am 60 years old and I had my sleeve last July 24th 2013. I have lost a total of 168 pounds starting at 387 and I am now down to 218. I feel great and I am very happy with my success. I don't ever want to go back to being obese again and I am so grateful for all of the support I have received from both my family and this forum.

Mark, Edmond Oklahoma

Hi am am 60 years old and I had my sleeve last July 24th 2013. I have lost a total of 168 pounds starting at 387 and I am now down to 218. I feel great and I am very happy with my success. I don't ever want to go back to being obese again and I am so grateful for all of the support I have received from both my family and this forum.

Mark, Edmond Oklahoma

My husband and I applaud you, after I read this to him. He is 4 months post op and down 60 or so lbs. Life is better every day. Good job Mark!!!!!

Mark you are amzaing .Congratulations.

Hi, I'm 63. Started going through the hoops to get approval for surgery (BMI is 38). I have diabetes, sleep apnea, back problems, knee issues... hope this will help. Never too late to get healthy and be here for my family an extra 10 years!

I can tell you truthfully that if you have the procedure, follow your doctors and nutritionists instructions and keep a food diary (like my fitness pal) and go to regular support group meetings, you will be successful. Believe me.

Mark

Hi, I'm 63 but will be 64 May 9th, my surgery is scheduled for May 15th. I am excited and not at all nervous yet. The pre-op diet is rather easy I can eat anything as long as it is less than 40 carbs a day and thats not net carbs. I was curious how this age group was doing since as we age the metabolism slows down but it appears that you are all proceeding nicely, congratulation.

I'm 63 years young & was sleeved 12/13/13. My only regret is that I didn't have this done 30 years ago, other than that no regrets. I've lost 55 # & feel better than I've felt in a very long time. I'm diabetic and my blood sugars have all been running normal, even after a meal. My arthritis is better & I have much more energy. I work out at least 1 hour per day & follow my diet well. My surgeon said that she couldn't promise (at my age) that I couldn't get below 175 or reduce my diabetes med to 1 pill/day unless I exercise an hour a day so I'm out to prove her wrong - I"ll do better than that. My weight loss is starting to slow down but as long as I keep with my present plan I'll still lose weight (maybe slower) but I'll also stay healthier.

67 me and proud of it! Almost 18 months out, down102 pounds and maintaining. Below goal !!!

Friends, I will be 68 in August. I was sleeved Nov. 18, 2013. I am down to 160, after my weight jumped to 230 2 years ago (the last 30 lbs caused by meds). I am off 1 BP med, off Metformin, off my asthma inhalers (I am no longer gasping for breath walking in my house). I shopped from 10 am today to 3pm. Had a salad with friends at lunch. Out of everything I would say the Constipation was my biggest aggravation, now is that dang funny or what? Never had any real pain, nausea or vomiting. My only problem is gout, but I will take this hurting toe to all the fat I left behind somewhere. I was buying a 2X and I am in a ladies medium for the first time in 25 years. I have gone nuts over clothes and I am so well dressed. I refused to buy clothes before surgery because I was so depressed and would not look at myself in the mirror. I say it is never too late to add whatever years to our lives that we can. I am happy as can be!