Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All Sixties!

Welcome aboard! I just had surgery this last Friday & am doing very well.

Congratulations on your surgery and 4 days out doing well, you are amazing.

I was sleeved on August 21, 2013, I have lost 55 lbs. I am at a stand still now and getting discouraged but I know this is part of the journey. How is everyone doing with hair loss. I have lost more hair this week then I have since sleeved. Has anyone seen a regrown and when did it start? I am taking all of my vits. Biotin for the hair. Happy New Year everyone.

I'm 66 and Nov 12th I will be 1 year post sleeve. I was 225.5 at my highest weight at my first consultation. Weighed 136.2 this morning.... of course, I was in my birthday suit. Goal weight is 130 for normal BMI as I'm 5 feet 2 inches. Off meds for high blood pressure, cholesterol, all NAISDs, and many supplements. Still high Protein since I'm still losing. Couldn't be happier!! Last night I was at my daughter's who is a doctor and also had the surgery 2 years ago, and I was wearing size 12. I fit into her 8P slacks and she told me to go shopping again.!! My sister and brother don't acknowledge my weight loss and I think there is jealousy or they think it was stupid to spend the money. Don't know....but my friends are amazed at what I have accomplished and so am I. I have walked 2 5 k's and I have had total knee replacement as well as arthritis in my feet/toes. Water aerobics is my exercise of choice though! Good luck to the newbies. You can do this if you want it...not anyone else.

Do you have photos? You are (or were as of this date) where I want to be. Would love to see before and after. Am 62. 5'5". Started at 248

6 months before approved. Lost only 20 in those months, but 8 lbs in one week prior to sleeve. Sleeved Jan 15 (two weeks ago). Feel great now; am 211 for total of -37 lbs. had a great surgical experience & recovery and feel so good.

My Goal is 135-140. Trying to figure out how best to get there both fast and safely. Tips?

Hello, Folks. I will be 62 this month, live in Albany, NY, and am waiting for my date. Lost 35 lbs on my own, only 100 to go. Thank goodness doctors will sleeve folks over 50. I am also a walker gal, but have graduated to occasional cane use. Woohoo. More to come. Just got the guts to post my before picture.

Congrat's to you. Embrace the can and see it as your friend who keeps you company. In fact , cool outdoorsy ladies use walking sticks. Get a cool whittled one and be an LL Bean Style fashion forward outdoorsy gal.

I am bald to find this group. I am 60 and have started this process. Due to insurance requirements , I have to spend 90 days with dietitian. Hope to have surgery late March. Hope to get to know some of you!!

I give you credit. Hang in there and be good to your self while you wait. You'll be there in no time. Good luck.

Hello, Folks. I will be 62 this month, live in Albany, NY, and am waiting for my date. Lost 35 lbs on my own, only 100 to go. Thank goodness doctors will sleeve folks over 50. I am also a walker gal, but have graduated to occasional cane use. Woohoo. More to come. Just got the guts to post my before picture.

Congrat's to you. Embrace the cane and see it as your friend who keeps you company. In fact , cool outdoorsy ladies use walking sticks. Get a cool whittled one and be an LL Bean Style fashion forward outdoorsy gal.

Congrat's to you. Embrace the cane and see it as your friend who keeps you company. In fact , cool outdoorsy ladies use walking sticks. Get a cool whittled one and be an LL Bean Style fashion forward outdoorsy gal.

I'm 66 and Nov 12th I will be 1 year post sleeve. I was 225.5 at my highest weight at my first consultation. Weighed 136.2 this morning.... of course, I was in my birthday suit. Goal weight is 130 for normal BMI as I'm 5 feet 2 inches. Off meds for high blood pressure, cholesterol, all NAISDs, and many supplements. Still high Protein since I'm still losing. Couldn't be happier!! Last night I was at my daughter's who is a doctor and also had the surgery 2 years ago, and I was wearing size 12. I fit into her 8P slacks and she told me to go shopping again.!! My sister and brother don't acknowledge my weight loss and I think there is jealousy or they think it was stupid to spend the money. Don't know....but my friends are amazed at what I have accomplished and so am I. I have walked 2 5 k's and I have had total knee replacement as well as arthritis in my feet/toes. Water aerobics is my exercise of choice though! Good luck to the newbies. You can do this if you want it...not anyone else.

Do you have photos? You are (or were as of this date) where I want to be. Would love to see before and after. Am 62. 5'5". Started at 248

6 months before approved. Lost only 20 in those months, but 8 lbs in one week prior to sleeve. Sleeved Jan 15 (two weeks ago). Feel great now; am 211 for total of -37 lbs. had a great surgical experience & recovery and feel so good.

My Goal is 135-140. Trying to figure out how best to get there both fast and safely. Tips?

I am 60, on 2/19/13 I was sleeved. I am 5'3" surgery weight 199. I am now at 125 and very happy! You need to do this for yourself...not for anyone else or because someone else wants you to. It was the best thing I did for myself. I wear size 4 & 6 - did not wear clothes that small when I was a teenager!Keep it up, stay encouraged. There will be ups and downs. I keep my Protein levels up, carbs down, drink plenty of fluids. I am at a point that I have to make sure I eat to keep my weight stable and not lose more. I have started yoga and enjoy it, although my knees are bad.I am proud of you. The health benefits are worth it.

I am glad everyone is doing fine but I would like to know about the hair loss. How long did the loss happen and when or did your hair started to grow back or not.

Hi I am 62 and had my surgery Aug.21,2013. I have lost 80 pounds and am seeing the weight loss slowing down as I approach the 6 month anniversay of being sleeved. AS to hair loss, big yikes. I had glorious long thick hair that people envied. Now it is thin and yucky. It falls out in handfulls with each wash. Started losing it mid December and it has not slowed down. I am sad about the hair but happy about the weight loss. My friend who is into naturopathic medicine, said I should be looking at zinc intake,but zinc can be toxic. I am hoping that I do not go totally bald. I would be very sad.

My husband and I are 66 and 65 and sleeved 2 months ago. I am definitely not huffing and puffing with every step I make anymore (asthma), and I feel a renewed sense of joy at going grocery shopping and not gasping for breath as I come in with the groceries, feeling the need to call rescue because I cannot breathe. Have not used my inhalers at all, off BP med, off Metformin, neuropathy is gone, and my husband off 1 BP med, and no longer eating massive carbs/fruit to stay conscious at night with his diabetes. Waiting for our summer to come back to Florida so we can go boating again many years before we croak. 2013 was a wasted depressing first year of retirement for me, until I was sleeved in November. I no longer hover over my husband at night to make sure he is breathing. Wish we had been sleeved way before this. I have happiness in my heart for life again. I vow not to sit in this chair the rest of my life. Buying me a kayak too. Lots of plans! God luck everyone!

Just turned sixty the 2nd of January. After thinking about this surgery for quite some time, I decided to do it before I get too old! I got angry with my brother for not taking care of himself and for being noncompliant with doctor's orders and realized I was no better and needed to get on the stick!

Live in a very rural area of South Dakota in the southern part of the Black Hills. Waiting for appointments with dietician and psychologist. If the psych doesn't send me off somewhere, surgery could be a soon as next month!

I'm a 61 yr old grandma of 24! Really tired of being overweight and not having the energy to actively play with them. I'm scheduled for sleeve surgery on 3/13/14 along with my friend. I'm 5'8" and weigh 238 today. My first goal is 180, then 160, then wherever I can get to. Have lost 8 pounds in the last week while practicing the liquid diet for two meals and practicing chewing the heck out of small itty bitty bites. My biggest concern, is that I'm going to be one of those slow older losers, and i'll get discouraged and not follow through like I should with the correct eating plan....the story of my life. I'm an emotional eater as well as a social one with my hubby. We like to go out to eat too much.