Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just putting it out there I'm not some alcoholic that some of you are acting. I'm in college, practically every person drinks and goes to parties, it is just the lifestyle. I know I have a lifestyle of my own and I know what to do and what not to do. All I was asking is if anyone has consumed alcohol early on like that. I actually just spoke to my doctor and he said by that point I should be fine for a shot or two, but just to be careful. Seeeeesh

My doc has an "at least 1 year rule". Just so you know, you aren't "practically" everyone anymore. Your lifestyle HAS to be different than everyone else's or else you wasted your time, money and perfectly good stomach for nothing. You chose this time in your life, while you are still in college, to get the VSG done, are you sure you were ready for it? I have commented on a post of yours previously, I think eariler this week, and I wonder if you really know what you had done to you. Losing weight and getting healthy even with the VSG is hard and takes work. It is not a magic tool that will make the weight just go away with no effort on your part. The people on this site are here to support, help and encourage each other, not to tear people down. I'm sure you knew the kind of answers you would get when you asked about this, but you can't go getting pissy just because you don't like the answers you got. People answered you honestly. No one wants to see someone do something careless and end up with a leak or other problems. If you only want answers giving you the go ahead to do what you want to do as opposed to doing what you need to or should do, then maybe you should start your post with "If you don't agree with what I'm saying then I don't want to hear it". Just a thought.

I would ask my doc it was 3 months before I drunk wine and don't drink it often but I could only drink 1/2 or a 1/3 of a glass of wine I get buzzed so fast when the doc say its a good time to drink I would start with something lighter and at home to see how I feel but my advice to you is be more receptive to the opinions you get from this thread U started ppl are trying to help you making better choices and really it's up to you not everyone is going to agree w what your wanting to do and kno big deal rt :) because once u get off of here in my opinion from your responds to others your going to do what u want .. Good luck on your journey

I'm not against drinking at all. I had a very very very easy recovery from my vsg 5 months ago, and can eat and drink anything. With that said, in my opinion 1 month (4 weeks) post op is too early for vodka. Even I wouldn't have tried that at that point, and I tried a lot.

I'm not judging but as a former somewhat heavy drinker I will just say that it can effect your b1 levels which can stall your weight loss. Also remember one of our greatest risks is not just leaks but doing some other damage to the lil bit of stomach we have left. If we develop ulcers or stomach cancer we have nothing left to work with. You are young and still need your tummy for a long time. Do what u need to to protect it.

I went through college married with 2 kids, so of course I missed that part of the "college life", but if you come on here to ask questions, expect all kinds of answers. This is a public forum with thousands of people. I dont care one way or another what you do with your life, but if you don't want certain answers, then don't ask.

I know I personally will be doing everything by the book because I want to make sure I achieve optimal results.

I actually just spoke to my doctor and he said by that point I should be fine for a shot or two, but just to be careful. Seeeeesh

Nothing else to talk about - enjoy.

I took a shot of vodka recently and whooooooo i felt it right away. Granted i was not a heavy drinker before but i mean right away it went to my head and impacted me. So honestly im not going to be partaking in the spirits like that. Im sure you can expect to be impaired. Also the calories and empty nutritional value of liquor is a turn off for most.

I was cleared to drink again at 4 weeks post op. I drink wine quite often.

Girl u done opened a huge can of worms lol lol I see fireballs coming at lightening speed for ur head lol lol lol just kidding

You already got the answer you wanted from your dr., so I can only assume you wanted a few opinions on the contrary?

I had my first alcoholic beverage 6weeks post op. WARNING, alcohol takes affect much quicker now. Pre op I could easily have 6-8shots before getting buzzed. At 6weeks 2shots & I was walking crooked. And it was a roller coaster ride. I'd be drunk 1 minute then a few minutes later feel nothing then buzzed again with nothing more to drink. It was crazy.

Enjoy yourself, but even if you feel completely sober, do not drive,

I had my first alcoholic beverage 6weeks post op. WARNING' date=' alcohol takes affect much quicker now. Pre op I could easily have 6-8shots before getting buzzed. At 6weeks 2shots & I was walking crooked. And it was a roller coaster ride. I'd be drunk 1 minute then a few minutes later feel nothing then buzzed again with nothing more to drink. It was crazy.

Enjoy yourself, but even if you feel completely sober, do not drive,[/quote']

And if you're going to drink vodka, make sure it's Tito's.

i just went to my first support group meeting last night (my surgery is June 11) and we went around the room and everyone got to ask a question. mine was "how soon can i have my whiskey and what kind of effects will i be looking at?"

out of the 8 post-op people, 5 of them had tried alcohol. most said one or two drinks were fine, but the felt the effects WAY SOONER then they used to. the nurse there said once your stomach heals (3 months), you can have alcohol in moderation, but watch what you mix with it. my go to is a 7/7-i love them. but since we can't drink pop (which i cut out 3 months ago) i might have to mix it with some sour mix and have a whiskey sour. i don't want to get drunk, i just want to have a drink once in a while when i'm out with friends. so just remember, moderation is key!

This saddens me, you ask for help or answers and youre getting pretty much the same answers across the board.... Im not knocking your "college lifestyle" perhaps you should have thought the fact of sleeving is a huuuuge "life style" change that we all know about! Youre adamant on the 2 shooters.. But all drs. Are different... I have not heard of one that says alcohol is ok after only 1 month... You put yourself at a plethera of risks by doing so and setting a bad example... I have been dehydrated through the entire post op from April 30th and have been hospitalized a few times....just got out again yesterday... Over the week I said i thought I was finally just thought I was hungry. I informed him I had 2 teaspoons of lentil Soup as well as 2 spoons of tuna... He told me as chief of surgery of the hospital... Which is actually 3 hospitals in one now... Not saying my dr knows it all or is above anything however. His point was although 3 weeks out can be frustrating with food I have to meet with the NUT and him for my 3 week post op to make sure youre ready for full liquids then a week for reg. food...you have no idea what your stomach can handle of youre only starting full food around now.. That food I ate to soon could have damages the work that was done or caused leaking... My issues is I get alot of dry heaving and my insides(major surgery and blow to all organs) swell because theyre not fully healed.. Most do better then me im down 39 lbs and not the healthy way... My point is the knowledge behind it is long term studies drinking eating eating certain foods can all cause ALOT of damage....poor choice all I can say is of you wind up back in the OR and that os VERY high risk of happening then you knew what you were getting yourself into... Also drinking can lead to sloppiness if you should fall or even pass out It would truley be a shame to wind up in the or!!!! Noone or nothing to blame but you

1 more thing.... I do not believe at all that your first bit of alcohol consumption should be at a college grad party.... Uncontrolled environment with college kids just wanting a kick ass party for their accomplishments.... People no surgery have died at these types of things from alcohol poisoning... If you should vomit or be sick you might just party through it and is their any one really going to safely help you monitor yourself and reactions???