Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not all H2O is created equal

I went for a relaxing massage the day before my surgery last week and the therapist explained to me how Water (tap and most bottled) can be modified and the molecules are too big for the cells in our body to absorb (you get the bloated feeling instead), and she suggested that I drink FUJI Water because it might be so much better for me (until I get my home water tested...)

Now I don't know if this is a bunch of hokum, but I've been splurging on the FUJI and it slides down nice and smooth. Got in 88 oz. today and only 5 days post op.

Of course I will not keep spending that kind of $ on water, but I will look into a system or source that has the same effect.

Any peeps knowledgeable on this topic?

Actually she's right in a sense.. The surface tension on plain Water is pretty high. That's why most people end up drinking water with a couple of drops of mio or something. As far as Fuji water? I don't know what they would do to make it different. But I'm glad you found something you like :)

I found any and all Water was really hard to drink post op. Fortunately, water became easy to drink again at month 7. In the meanwhile, water enhancers are your friend. Repeat after me: mio, desani, Crystal light, etc. Stock up. Find flavors you like. For me, Desani was the only Water Enhancer I could drink day after day without side effects like acid in the throat.

I found propel Water the easiest to drink after surgery. In the pharmacy at most stores you can gey a thickener for water and other fluids to go down a lot easier. I found some at the HEB grocery store where I live.

What in the world is a thickener for Water?

I meant Fiji Water, from Fiji... artesian, massively naturally, filtered, natural minerals. No chemicals. It's very soft and earthy. Mios would help if flavor is the problem, I was just wondering about the molecular structure stuff being hokum.

Water for Life. Quality of Water Water quality depends on the several factors, such as the presence and quantity of contaminants, physical (surface tension, structuring) and chemical (pH, hardness) factors, the number and quantity of salts and minerals. Humans largely influence all these factors.

Contaminants: Contaminant is any substance that when added to water (or another substance) makes it impure and unfit for consumption or an intended use. Contaminants have different nature. All of them are harmful and cause health problems and even mortality effect when trespass the Maximum Concentration Level (MCL).

Water surface tension: Normal pure water has high surface tension 76 din/cm2. Water in and around human cells has just 43 din/cm2. Water surface tension in the liquids of the human digestive system (stomach and intestines) range 45 - 60 dyn/cm2. liquids with a low surface tension have molecular order and high absorption ability. Each time humans drink water with a high surface tension they are diluting the necessary digestive juices with a low surface tension. When humans drink liquids with surface tensions below 60 dynes they are nurturing their bodies with liquids that assist digestion and absorption. Water surface tension should be below 60 din/cm2.

Water structuring: All liquids in the human body have a specific organized or coherent structure. If the newly entered liquids or solids are not structured, any human cells will not absorb the fluids or solids. The unstructured liquids or solids are sloughed off and eliminated through the kidneys or intestine or negatively stored in the body with no benefit to the individual. After the age of 30, the human body’s ability to structure foreign liquids and solids so minimum absorption or digestion can take place, diminishes dramatically. It is very important that drinking water has organized structure. pH, alkalinity: Water in a pure state has a neutral pH = 7. The human blood has pH around 7.3, saliva – 6.8, skin – 5.6. But no one has blood pH above 7.5 and pH level above this threshold. The normal range for pH in surface water systems is 6.5 to 8.5 and for groundwater systems 6 to 8.5. Alkalinity is a measure of the capacity of the water to resist a change in pH that would tend to make the water more acidic. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) does not regulate the pH level in drinking water. It is classified as a secondary drinking water contaminant whose impact is considered aesthetic. However, the EPA recommends that public water systems maintain pH levels of between 6.5 and 8.5, a good guide for individual well owners.

Hardness and Mineralizing: When water is referred to as 'hard' this means that it contains more minerals than ordinary water. These are minerals especially Calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg). Hardness is expressed in terms of Calcium carbonate (CaC03). Water with less than 75 milligrams per liter (mg/l) is considered soft, 76-150 mg/l moderately hard, and above 150 mg/l hard water. Some 21 mineral elements are known or suspected to be essential for humans. Health consequences of micronutrient deficiencies include increased morbidity; mortality due to reduced immune defense systems and impaired physical and mental development. Low intakes of Ca, and perhaps Mg; contribute to rickets in children and osteoporosis in women worldwide. These nutritional deficiencies decrease worker productivity and increase the rates of disease and death in adults. Most new epidemiological studies of the 1990’s were able to specify the effect of either calcium or magnesium and also focused on morbidity other than cardio vascular diseases. During the 90’s research confirmed a protective effect of both drinking water magnesium and calcium against cardio vascular diseases, and more data on beneficial effect of these elements in drinking water on human health were presented.

Conclusion: Fresh healthy water supposed to be completely free from contaminants, good structured, pH 7.1-7.5 and at list, with medium concentration of calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), Potassium (K), Sodium (N).

What in the world is a thickener for Water?

Its something you can put in any liquid to thicken it up. I believe its for pee who have stomach problems. The next time I go to the store I will read more about it.

Water for Life. Quality of Water Water quality depends on the several factors' date=' such as the presence and quantity of contaminants, physical (surface tension, structuring) and chemical (pH, hardness) factors, the number and quantity of salts and minerals. Humans largely influence all these factors.

Contaminants: Contaminant is any substance that when added to water (or another substance) makes it impure and unfit for consumption or an intended use. Contaminants have different nature. All of them are harmful and cause health problems and even mortality effect when trespass the Maximum Concentration Level (MCL).

Water surface tension: Normal pure water has high surface tension 76 din/cm2. Water in and around human cells has just 43 din/cm2. Water surface tension in the liquids of the human digestive system (stomach and intestines) range 45 - 60 dyn/cm2. Liquids with a low surface tension have molecular order and high absorption ability. Each time humans drink water with a high surface tension they are diluting the necessary digestive juices with a low surface tension. When humans drink liquids with surface tensions below 60 dynes they are nurturing their bodies with liquids that assist digestion and absorption. Water surface tension should be below 60 din/cm2.

Water structuring: All liquids in the human body have a specific organized or coherent structure. If the newly entered liquids or solids are not structured, any human cells will not absorb the fluids or solids. The unstructured liquids or solids are sloughed off and eliminated through the kidneys or intestine or negatively stored in the body with no benefit to the individual. After the age of 30, the human body’s ability to structure foreign liquids and solids so minimum absorption or digestion can take place, diminishes dramatically. It is very important that drinking water has organized structure. pH, alkalinity: Water in a pure state has a neutral pH = 7. The human blood has pH around 7.3, saliva – 6.8, skin – 5.6. But no one has blood pH above 7.5 and pH level above this threshold. The normal range for pH in surface water systems is 6.5 to 8.5 and for groundwater systems 6 to 8.5. Alkalinity is a measure of the capacity of the water to resist a change in pH that would tend to make the water more acidic. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) does not regulate the pH level in drinking water. It is classified as a secondary drinking water contaminant whose impact is considered aesthetic. However, the EPA recommends that public water systems maintain pH levels of between 6.5 and 8.5, a good guide for individual well owners.

Hardness and Mineralizing: When water is referred to as 'hard' this means that it contains more minerals than ordinary water. These are minerals especially Calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg). Hardness is expressed in terms of calcium carbonate (CaC03). Water with less than 75 milligrams per liter (mg/l) is considered soft, 76-150 mg/l moderately hard, and above 150 mg/l hard water. Some 21 mineral elements are known or suspected to be essential for humans. Health consequences of micronutrient deficiencies include increased morbidity; mortality due to reduced immune defense systems and impaired physical and mental development. Low intakes of Ca, and perhaps Mg; contribute to rickets in children and osteoporosis in women worldwide. These nutritional deficiencies decrease worker productivity and increase the rates of disease and death in adults. Most new epidemiological studies of the 1990’s were able to specify the effect of either calcium or magnesium and also focused on morbidity other than cardio vascular diseases. During the 90’s research confirmed a protective effect of both drinking water magnesium and calcium against cardio vascular diseases, and more data on beneficial effect of these elements in drinking water on human health were presented.

Conclusion: Fresh healthy water supposed to be completely free from contaminants, good structured, pH 7.1-7.5 and at list, with medium concentration of calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), Potassium (K), Sodium (N).[/quote']

Laura-ven, you rock! I could't have worded that question right in any search engine to get an intelligent answer. Now I don't feel like a fool for taking the therapist's advice. Thank you!

Laura-ven' date=' you rock! I could't have worded that question right in any search engine to get an intelligent answer. Now I don't feel like a fool for taking the therapist's advice. Thank you![/quote']

Laura you are definitely the professor in this response; we have been schooled!! Thanks.

Laura you are definitely the professor in this response; we have been schooled!! Thanks.

Fiddle that was just an article I read! :)

If you live out west, or extreme southeast you are lucky. Arrowhead & Zepherhills are both high ph waters with ph levels of 7+. Us unlucky Midwesterners have to pay a premium for high ph Water. Ozarka, the nestle brand spring Water where I live is acidic showing a ph of 5.8.

http://www.comfytummy.com/2010/06/21/ph-levels-of-bottled-water/

Y'all are missing out. Here in New Mexico we get plenty of arsenic in our Water lol. We've been over the recommended limits for years.

Y'all are missing out. Here in New Mexico we get plenty of arsenic in our Water lol. We've been over the recommended limits for years.

Omg - arsenic in be water...

On the west coast we are dealing with radioactive Water from Fukushima Japan:

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/07/radiation-in-west-coast-of-north-america-could-be-10-times-higher-than-japan.html

See the nice stream of red radioactivity hitting us?

It is coming in the form of rain also.

http://www.king5.com/news/environment/High-levels-of-radiation-detected-in-Northwest-rainwater--125391598.html

Hopefully we have controls in place to remove this from our drinking water. I have already heard cases of thyroid cancer are way up on the west coast.

If you live out west' date=' or extreme southeast you are lucky. Arrowhead & Zepherhills are both high ph waters with ph levels of 7+. Us unlucky Midwesterners have to pay a premium for high ph Water. Ozarka, the nestle brand spring Water where I live is acidic showing a ph of 5.8.

http://www.comfytummy.com/2010/06/21/ph-levels-of-bottled-water/[/quote']

O.T.R. - great article and info! I'm in Florida and at least can switch from super expensive Fiji to Zephyr Hills, for now. I would not have known otherwise.

It was the Ph 10 producing machine that the therapist was suggesting. She could get it for me at cost for around $225, and requires about $80/yr in filter changes. Reasonable, I think. Especially if I'd be buying bottled water for the whole family.

Tks!