Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sleeved may 6th..this is tough!

I'm sorry for those of you that are having a tough time. One thing I remember that the psychologist told me is that a person going through this process will have a lot of emotions as I'm sure many of you were told the same thing. It's almost as if you are going through a divorce, you have divorced food. You have broken up with all the comfort food you are used to and now just left with liquids. Just like your mate taking everything and leaving only the clothes on your back. It's going to hurt at first but eventually it gets better. I think what makes it hard is that after being sleeved you can't do anything but sit at home and keep track of your Fluid intake. That's boring and with boredom comes our wanting to eat. The thing that helps me with this process is journaling. I know it sounds super cheesy but I write down exactly how I feel. I was sleeved exactly one week ago. On my 4th day out from surgery I was upset because here I was trying to get in as much liquid as possible when all I really wanted was a bite of real food even if it was a vegetable or fruit. So on that day I have an angry journal entry. After writing my feelings down I did feel better. Did it take away my want for food, no but I recognized why I was angry and sad. It's like talking to someone. It may not solve the actual problem but afterwards you feel better.

I'm sorry for those of you that are having a tough time. One thing I remember that the psychologist told me is that a person going through this process will have a lot of emotions as I'm sure many of you were told the same thing. It's almost as if you are going through a divorce' date=' you have divorced food. You have broken up with all the comfort food you are used to and now just left with liquids. Just like your mate taking everything and leaving only the clothes on your back. It's going to hurt at first but eventually it gets better. I think what makes it hard is that after being sleeved you can't do anything but sit at home and keep track of your Fluid intake. That's boring and with boredom comes our wanting to eat. The thing that helps me with this process is journaling. I know it sounds super cheesy but I write down exactly how I feel. I was sleeved exactly one week ago. On my 4th day out from surgery I was upset because here I was trying to get in as much liquid as possible when all I really wanted was a bite of real food even if it was a vegetable or fruit. So on that day I have an angry journal entry. After writing my feelings down I did feel better. Did it take away my want for food, no but I recognized why I was angry and sad. It's like talking to someone. It may not solve the actual problem but afterwards you feel better.[/quote']

This is very inspirational.... Thank you for posting it. I am in the middle of my preop diet, scheduled to be sleeved on June 10. Today is a really bad day for me, having eaten no carbs, dairy or fruit all week. You are right. It is like a divorce. All I wanna do is eat a piece of bread! I am fighting my cravings and "head hunger" like crazy!! But instead of binge eating this weekend I plan on "binge watching" a tv series on Netflix! Anything for a distraction! It's good to know that there are others out there going thru the same feelings. We can all do this. Be strong!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

This is just what I needed to read right now. I am feeling pretty down right now. I am only 10 days out and I just want something other than a liquid. I want pizza so bad! I read on this board before that you just have to take each day and remember in a year from now this will be a memory!

I am about 10 days post op (May 22nd) and physically feel great. I am starving though and crave real food. I mistakenly thought the cravings would go away, but they don't. I am having pureed Soups but getting sick of those quickly. I blended half a banana in my whey Protein and milk today to fill up, but was hungry within an hour. I have about 1 cup of Soup or something pureed per meal, but it really doesn't do much. Not sure if should have more or just deal with it. I don't want to stretch my stomach. Not sure if others dealt with major hunger immediately following surgery, but by day 3 I was hungry all the time.

I am about 10 days post op (May 22nd) and physically feel great. I am starving though and crave real food. I mistakenly thought the cravings would go away' date=' but they don't. I am having pureed Soups but getting sick of those quickly. I blended half a banana in my whey Protein and milk today to fill up, but was hungry within an hour. I have about 1 cup of Soup or something pureed per meal, but it really doesn't do much. Not sure if should have more or just deal with it. I don't want to stretch my stomach. Not sure if others dealt with major hunger immediately following surgery, but by day 3 I was hungry all the time.[/quote']

Are you on a PPi? Talk to your surgeon about this.

sorry for the ignorance. PPi?

sorry for the ignorance. PPi?

Proton pump inhibitor, like Nexium. Excess acid can mimic hunger and most post-ops are on a PPI for at least a little while.

If you are feeling low and/or hungry, make getting enough Water and Protein a priority. Soups alone are not filling but add a tablespoon of natural flavoured Protein powder (plus another of Benefiber), ensure the Soups are tasty (add some chilli, garlic or herbs or buy Vietnamese or Thai soups) and you'll find them much more satisfying. I add Protein Powder to soups, casseroles and bolognaise sauce (am on soft foods now), yoghurts, puréed fruit. Add a little Water or skim milk to ensure you have a thin enough Soup in the early weeks post-op. .

Dehydration and low Protein intake can lead to fatigue and depression.

And avoid carbs too - banana has a lot of sugar and will hit off the insulin cycle of highs and lows that make us feel hungry. I believe berries, apricots and kiwi fruit are all better than banana.

I know regrets are hard, but no doubt you thought long and hard about the 'no way out' aspect of VSG beforehand - perhaps (like me) you felt you needed that to really get your health back on track. Try to have faith in that calmly thought through decision. You'll get there. There are too many success stories on this site to suggest otherwise.

Good luck.

I promise you it gets better!! Promise promise. You mourn food, hate what you eat. But after about 6 months you will be a different person. I 1/2 yrs out- I have lost approximately 100 pounds lighter. Nothing and I do mean nothing! Taste as good as I feel- hang in there, it will be one of your best decisions ever. You just thought you were happy-- you are about to see what happy is! You go girl!! ???? Hang tough!!

I was sleeved may 7th and I hate it' date=' I'm in the same boat, I am so depressed all I do is sleep. I just want real food.[/quote']

Same here. sleeved on the 28th and so hungry. I get to start Protein drinks tomorrow and I am so friking excited. I am sleeping a lot and just staying away from everyone because I just don't want the temptation.

Hey...I was sleeved on April 8th, and I tell ya...I would never want to relive that first month. However, in the past 2 weeks (and unfortunately having another surgery due to a kidney stone), I am feeling the best I have felt in so long! I'm starting to feel what energy is like, and I don't feel so tired all the time. When I was talking to a girl at work who had been sleeved as well, and a year ago...she just told me the miserable part is very short lived. I was like...seriously??? It was the longest month of my life! Pain/depression/anxiety is such a strange thing, but once it's gone...it's so amazing how quickly you forget about it and just enjoy the good times. I still struggle with cravings here and there, and sometimes I will give in and just have a little bit so I'm not obsessing over it, and that has seemed to work for me. When I was on liquids only, and my boyfriend was having taco pizza...I broke down and chewed it up and spit it out, just so I could taste it. I know that probably isn't the best advice, but it really did help. I know everyone will keep saying it, but hang in there! It does get better, and not just better, but you will switch from sadness to hapiness! =)

I was sleeved on May 24th and I feel exactly the same way as you. I can only hope it gets easier. Now I know that I was not fully prepared or informed fully what this meant all at once . Getting my Proteins is very difficult bc I do not like the sweetness of the shakes and I've tried around 10 this past week.

" I think what makes it hard is that after being sleeved you can't do anything but sit at home and keep track of your Fluid intake. That's boring and with boredom comes our wanting to eat. "

I have to disagree with this. Why sit home? Get out and do things and walk anywhere and where ever. Live normal, but with out letting food consume you. Don't sit at home letting yourself dwell on your surgery or the fact you can't eat. Get yourself occupied.

This is your new life.. Take control of it. It's yours to do what you want with it. It's whatever you make it. GO GET 'EM :D

The sweetness of most Protein shakes gets me down too... I bought a

'natural' (unflavoured) Protein powder and put it in yoghurts and Soups and it's made a huge difference to me. They can be hard to find, but try online.

After searching for a couple of weeks in the end I found mine 40% off in the health food aisle of an Aussie supermarket... I bought heaps!

I am 10 weeks out. I hated the first 5 weeks. I regretted having the surgery and hated not being able to eat anything. Around 6 weeks you start feeling more normal and hope comes back. You will notice you've lost weight and that will feel good. As the weeks go by you can have more variety and you don't feel so deprived. Everyone goes at their own pace so don't be put off if others seem to be doing better, are happier or more energetic. You'll get there!! It's a good thing to have done. Hold onto that thought!! Good luck.