Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lightweights in the house! Any more people with less to lose/less BMI's?

I am 5'0 and 190lbs, I'll be 37 yrs old in 3 weeks (Aug 19)...having my surgery on my bday too!!! I hear the weight loss is slower for people with a lower BMI. My goal is 125lbs and no more BP & diabetes meds.

I'm 5'3.5" weighed 230 on surgery day 6/6/13. I've been working out almost everyday for over a month because I'm scared of saggy skin. Problem areas are rippled' date=' sagging skin top inner thigh, stomach pooch & under arm wings. I'm hoping I can firm everything up but only time will tell. I'm down to 198 now. I do at least 30 mins on treadmill or elliptical & strength training. Ab crunches, shoulder press, arm curls, etc. I have a friend who was sleeved last July at 280 & is down to 150 but she barely ever worked out & has horrible bat wings saggy stomach & inner thighs. You can't tell at all I she wears mid thigh length shorts & regular sleeved t's but very noticeable when she wears sleeveless tanks, dresses or shorty shorts. I believe sagging skin is inevitable if you don't work out so I'm trying my best to offset it. I also drink tons of Water & add collagen to my Protein shakes. I'm not sure I have all the answers but I'm doing everything I can think of.[/quote']

I have your exact body type. 5'3.5 " and 230 lbs. I don't have a surgery date yet...just playing the pre-op game right now. The saggy skin has been one of my concerns too. I have read that the skin will remold to the body but it will take time. Obviously the exercise, Water, and the protein/collagen will be very important. But the info I've read has just said that it can take up to two years for the skin to fully adjust to the weight loss.

I'm 5'3.5" weighed 230 on surgery day 6/6/13. I've been working out almost everyday for over a month because I'm scared of saggy skin. Problem areas are rippled' date=' sagging skin top inner thigh, stomach pooch & under arm wings. I'm hoping I can firm everything up but only time will tell. I'm down to 198 now. I do at least 30 mins on treadmill or elliptical & strength training. Ab crunches, shoulder press, arm curls, etc. I have a friend who was sleeved last July at 280 & is down to 150 but she barely ever worked out & has horrible bat wings saggy stomach & inner thighs. You can't tell at all I she wears mid thigh length shorts & regular sleeved t's but very noticeable when she wears sleeveless tanks, dresses or shorty shorts. I believe sagging skin is inevitable if you don't work out so I'm trying my best to offset it. I also drink tons of Water & add collagen to my Protein shakes. I'm not sure I have all the answers but I'm doing everything I can think of.[/quote']

I have your exact body type. 5'3.5 " and 230 lbs. I don't have a surgery date yet...just playing the pre-op game right now. The saggy skin has been one of my concerns too. I have read that the skin will remold to the body but it will take time. Obviously the exercise, Water, and the protein/collagen will be very important. But the info I've read has just said that it can take up to two years for the skin to fully adjust to the weight loss.

I really like this thread. I'm Amy, 33 5"0" and currently between 200-220. I have recently been diagnosed with pcos after years of irregular periods. I'm a mom of 2 (2,4) and foster (soon to be adoptive) mom to two more 10,11). I've been overweight since age 9 and just realized that I've been gaining and losing the same 40 pounds for 20 years.

My family thinks I should just "buckle down" and do it on my own. After all, I've done it before... Um, u got down to 160 ten years and two kids ago, was completely unhealthy and chain smoked. I can't do that again!

They think the surgery is only for people with much more to lose. I need to lose roughly 100 pounds! So, I'm off to Mexico in October and taking this leap. Could this really be the last summer that's swimming wardrobe includes layers and shame? Will I be hiking with my husband and children next summer instead of watching tv and posting here?

Omg I hope so! I love reading your posts (especially the other shorties). Keep up your hard work.

. Weighdownsouth I'm going to Mexico in December may I ask who your surgeon is going to be

Okay here it goes......

Current weight: 214

Height: 5' 4"

BMI: 36.7

Began the process in May 2013. No co-morbids. Dr. ordered a sleep study. Completed all of my requirements within a month. My case was submitted to insurance. I live in California but I have Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas PPO. Got my approval letter a few weeks later. WoooooHoooooo!!!!

Spoke to my coordinator last week and he said that once I speak the the surgery scheduler (I'm expecting that call today), get a surgery date and schedule my pre-op labs and upper GI......I should be getting sleeved in the next few weeks!!!

Definitely know the feeling........."you're not fat, just thick" or "just healthy" or "just exercise more, eat less". Everyone is made differently. A skinny person and a fat person can eat the same thing. But I can guaranty I know who's the one that's going to gain the weight.

I think it's great that we're doing this now, at a low BMI. We're taking control of our health before it spirals.

Congratulations everyone!

Hey all! I was a lightweight as well and got sleeved on 7/24. Wanted to update you all on my surgery, which was done in Dallas, TX. I had spleen complications and lost 25% of my spleen due to the surgery complications. It was the most pain I have ever felt in my life (and I have triplets so I know pain, lol). HOWEVER, I am totally fine now, after the 5 day hospital stay and I would still do the surgery. I'm told this is not common at all, but that it can and does happen.

Word to future sleevers: If you feel abnormal pain post surgery, DON'T IGNORE IT!!!! Don't let them tell you it's 'bad gas pain' I lost part of my spleen because of this, and had to be an emergency hospital admit. You know your body, they don't.

You all will do fine, just listen to your own body. If you feel something is wrong, don't stop asking until they take you seriously.

Hey all! I was a lightweight as well and got sleeved on 7/24. Wanted to update you all on my surgery' date=' which was done in Dallas, TX. I had spleen complications and lost 25% of my spleen due to the surgery complications. It was the most pain I have ever felt in my life (and I have triplets so I know pain, lol). HOWEVER, I am totally fine now, after the 5 day hospital stay and I would still do the surgery. I'm told this is not common at all, but that it can and does happen.

Word to future sleevers: If you feel abnormal pain post surgery, DON'T IGNORE IT!!!! Don't let them tell you it's 'bad gas pain' I lost part of my spleen because of this, and had to be an emergency hospital admit. You know your body, they don't.

You all will do fine, just listen to your own body. If you feel something is wrong, don't stop asking until they take you seriously.[/quote']

Sorry for your complications! I'm curious who your surgeon was? I am in Dallas too and used Dr. Hodges from Barker Bariatrics.

I need about 60 # to lose! My surgery date is Aug 19

Whoohoo that's my date too! 3 weeks to go! Good luck!

tommorow

tommorow

Good luck! I'm sure everything will go well for you and the others being sleeved tomorrow. We'll be thinking of you

I'm using dr Garcia via alma at Ready 4 a Change. I've read great things and have had good communication thus far.

I also went with dr Garcia. Had a wonderful experience.

I have a question for anyone sleeved already that had a starting weight under 230ish..I have been overweight..well for a while but pushed over 200lbs and onto 230lbs only 3 years ago when my first daughter was born. I am 33 yrs old. I hope to lose 80 or so lbs. Any idea generally speaking about loose skin? I carry my weight pretty evenly throughout my body except for my new mommy tummy that may never completely go away. Guess I just want an idea how much if any loose skin others around my starting weight have experienced. Thanks!!

I am 32, weighed in at 204 on surgery day, 5ft 10in, size 14/16, bmi 30.6. I have two kids 1 & 5 so I know about the mommy pooch. My surgery was July 24th and at this point I think it was the best thing I could have done for myself. I am losing inches and pounds but not do fast that people can figure out that I've been altered. (Lol). Loose skin is not what I would call it, I just don't feel as tight as I used to especially in the breast area. Seems like that's leaving first. I'm very proportioned also and the weight is leaving all over. I ess scared my mommy tummy would hang and look disgusting. It's not pretty but it's actually getting flat (though wrinkled). I've been wearing Spanx higher power panty every day to help with evening my mid section out and they are working very well. I have felt great some day one and I'm so happy for you. Any questions anyone, inbox me anytime. Love and blessings to you all.

I have a question for anyone sleeved already that had a starting weight under 230ish..I have been overweight..well for a while but pushed over 200lbs and onto 230lbs only 3 years ago when my first daughter was born. I am 33 yrs old. I hope to lose 80 or so lbs. Any idea generally speaking about loose skin? I carry my weight pretty evenly throughout my body except for my new mommy tummy that may never completely go away. Guess I just want an idea how much if any loose skin others around my starting weight have experienced. Thanks!!

I started my pre ip diet at 226 my highest weight was 234...I had my surgery on 11/07/12 today I am 148 and I have a bit of loose skin but it isn't terrible I will post pics...I am also 33yrs old I am short though only 5'2.5 :) The swimsuit photos are from about 1.5 month ago and I was about 5lbs heavier than my 8 month photo which is where I am now .Swimsuit not cutest pics but included pics so you could see skin etc...

post-35985-13813668682283_thumb.jpg

post-35985-13813668683017_thumb.jpg

post-35985-13813668683684_thumb.jpg

I started my pre ip diet at 226 my highest weight was 234...I had my surgery on 11/07/12 today I am 148 and I have a bit of loose skin but it isn't terrible I will post pics...I am also 33yrs old I am short though only 5'2.5 :) The swimsuit photos are from about 1.5 month ago and I was about 5lbs heavier than my 8 month photo which is where I am now .Swimsuit not cutest pics but included pics so you could see skin etc...

Did you work out a lot? You look great btw!