Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotions Running Wild

Hello! I had my surgery on March 26, 2013 and I've lost 50 pounds since but I'm really struggling with still feeling like the "fat girl" I've always been. In the past month I've had two people yell "Earthquak!" out their cars when I walk by and I guess what I'm wondering is does anyone else struggle with this? I want to be so proud of how far I've come, I fit into pants that I haven't worn since freshman year, but I feel held back because I'm still bigger and I wish I could wear a sign around my neck that told people how far I've come.

Forget those stupid people doll congrat on alllll u have done u dont have 2 prove nothing 2 noone but u sweety im proud of how far u have come on ur journy keep ur head up and the great work

I haven't been sleeved (yet), so I can't really answer if I've also struggled with it. But I just wanted to show you some support and let you know that 50 lbs lost is a HUGE accomplishment!! It might not be where you want to be at your goal, but it is a huge step in that direction and you should be proud of it!! It's so sad and frustrating when people are malicious for no reason, but don't let that get you down on 50 lbs of weight lost! That's a huge bag of dog food worth of fat - GONE. Be proud - hold your head up high, girl!!

--Kelly

Way to go on being down 50lbs! That is awesome!!!! to he!! with what anybody else thinks or says, you are taking major steps to better health and that is something to be very very proud of. I understand that when people are rude when you are feeling really good about your progress it's quite a blow, but just think how far you have come in 2 short months! They know nothing, forget them and keep rocking that sleeve!!!

I know exactly how you feel. I've lost 50+ lbs but I still have soooo far to go that it's hard to get REALLY excited about it. I know 50 lbs is a lot to lose, but it's also just the tip of the iceberg so it's so hard to really feel great about yourself when you see that you're still big despite the loss. I'm not sure how much farther you have til goal, but I have 200+ MORE to lose, so girl... I can relate to this!!

That said, it IS a wonderful thing that you've lost 50 already! That's 50 lbs off your heart, off your joints, off your whole body forever! Maybe you don't see/feel it now, but all the work you are doing is paying off, you're headed in the right direction and it's just going to keep getting better and better!

As for the jerks yelling things at you - I'm so sorry you've had those experiences. I've had my share and it's never easy. There are times that I have given people a real piece of my mind and made them feel like a-holes for saying something in the first place - then there's the time I bawled hysterically because a 3 year old in a store kept yelling "You're fat! You're fat! Mommy, that lady is fat!" at me in the middle of the check out line at the store. There's not really a good way to deal with it - just try not to let them get you down. Feel bad about it if you're not doing something about it - and since you ARE doing something about it, just try (TRY) to let it roll off your back. You'll lose the weight - they will be jerks forever!!

Hello! I had my surgery on March 26, 2013 and I've lost 50 pounds since but I'm really struggling with still feeling like the "fat girl" I've always been. In the past month I've had two people yell "Earthquak!" out their cars when I walk by and I guess what I'm wondering is does anyone else struggle with this? I want to be so proud of how far I've come, I fit into pants that I haven't worn since freshman year, but I feel held back because I'm still bigger and I wish I could wear a sign around my neck that told people how far I've come.

Wow, good point about wanting to let people know how far you've come. I was instantly bothered when you said people yelled that out of their windows...How rude & evil!! God help them. You use that to motivate you for every single lb that you drop & even though you may never "see" them again, when you hit goal, just shout "IN YOUR FACE!!!" Keep up the great work & keep celebrating every success, great & small. Do things that make you happy & continue to work on the inner you one day at a time. You will transform, body & mind, just let it come naturally. Keep your head up & I wish you the best.

Man. People are such a$$holes. You are losing weight and soon you will be at your goal, but they will still be stupid. They must feel really bad about themselves if they have to make fun of a stranger to feel better. You are so much better than them.

Aww hun I agree people can be horrible. Even when they're not screaming at you from a moving car. Last month I was at work, walking a visitor to one of his meetings, when we found ourselves locked out of the building. A construction worker let us in and apologized for ignoring us. Then my guest, who is a doctor from India, looked at me and the construction guy, pointed at me, and said "But how could you ignore her? She's impossible to miss." A real comedian, right? That construction worker's eyes were as big as softballs after that comment. And inside my head I was cursing him out.

You should be very proud of your accomplishments and be working towards your goal for yourself, not just so you don't get picked on anymore. Living well is the best revenge, because the lives of people like the jerks you encountered are sad and pathetic indeed. Character flaws are a lot harder to shake than excess weight. :D

Thanks guys (: Your responses really do help me feel better!

You can lose weight to address obesity. What can THEY do to address stupidity?

bklyngal87: do you have a manager? Even though this man from India was a visitor, you do not have to accept being abused by him. And that is exactly what he did - he abused you. I hope you relayed this incident to your management.

If a doctor, an educated person, can be that stupid and rude what hope is there for the rest of humanity? Gosh... don't you just wish you had a pocketful of zingers - "That's right. I really AM gorgeous, aren't I ?" or atleast "Didn't your mama raise you better ?" grrrrr

What a d**k from India.

Indeed. I work at a university and we get visiting professors all the time, usually just for a day or two. I did tell my manager and my other boss and they were horrified. He won't be invited back any time soon. And my accountant colleague temporarily "lost" his travel receipts he sent for reimbursement :D.

The funny part which I didn't add above because wasn't sure if it was appropriate for the forum but the construction guy paused for a moment in shock, then uttered "who could have missed that giant turban on your head". Needless to say he's my BFF now :tongue2:.