Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horrible taste in mouth

Had my surgery on Friday 5/17. I've been doing fairly well, thankfully. Over the past two days, I've noticed a horrible taste in my mouth. I think I have read somewhere something about ketosis setting in. I used to love Crystal Light fruit Punch and stocked up for after surgery. I can't stomach it anymore. ( no pun intended). And... It's not my stomach that has issues with it, it's my mouth... The after taste. Anything that has a "sweet" taste, actually gives me the same yucky taste in my mouth. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice????

I have heard thru these forums about Sonic ice. I had my husband drive there last night. He bought 2 - 10# bags of ice for me. This will hopefully be my answer to getting liquids in, as Water doesn't taste any better to me.

Looking forward to hearing any advice.

Thank you!! :-)

Had my surgery on Friday 5/17. I've been doing fairly well' date=' thankfully. Over the past two days, I've noticed a horrible taste in my mouth. I think I have read somewhere something about ketosis setting in. I used to love Crystal Light fruit Punch and stocked up for after surgery. I can't stomach it anymore. ( no pun intended). And... It's not my stomach that has issues with it, it's my mouth... The after taste. Anything that has a "sweet" taste, actually gives me the same yucky taste in my mouth. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice????

I have heard thru these forums about Sonic ice. I had my husband drive there last night. He bought 2 - 10# bags of ice for me. This will hopefully be my answer to getting liquids in, as Water doesn't taste any better to me.

Looking forward to hearing any advice.

Thank you!! :-)[/quote']

I had my sleeve on 5/14/13. On the 4 th day I had a bad taste as well. I believe it came from the sweet crystal light, Gummy Vitamins, liquid lortab All with a sweet taste. Try chicken broth, that's what helped me.

It's the ketosis, and you will have that taste for quite a while, along with really bad breath. Suck on sugar-free mints, that helps with both. It will go away eventually. Good luck on your journey!

Yes my friends, it called ketosis. Not only do you have a bad tastes, I promise you have bad breath as well. You may have nicer people surrounding you than I did (not really, my husband gently told me to brush my teeth LOL!) but I promise the bad breath is there too. It is from not eating carbs. I stayed in ketosis with bad breath and really stinky pee until I went on full liquids and could eat Soups with some carbs. I have tried to stay less than 20 gms of carbs most day but usually it is closer to 30 gms a day since surgery and I haven't had any more trouble with it. I don't know if my body finally just caught up or what but the bad taste, bad breath and stinky pee are no longer with me. It will get better, just give it time!

You can know if you are in ketosis for sure by purchasing some ketone strips at CVS or Walgreens. I think they are about $2-3 for 50ct. My youngest daughter (13 yrs) has type 1 diabetes so she checks her urine every time her glucose is above 250... which means her body is needs insulin and it is using body fat as fuel instead of glucose. This fat burning stage gives us the breath that smells a lot like chewed juicy fruit gum, and some people can even report an acetone smell on themselves.

The problem with being in ketosis is that it makes your blood acidic. When you blood becomes acidic your kidneys signal you to drink more Water.. and thus you have the frequent urination. If your blood becomes too acidic and you are not able to keep up with your body's thirst demands, you go into ketoacidosis which could result in a coma. However, that reaction is really far down the road and it is simple to remedy it. If you are a diabetic take insulin, if not ingest some sugars.

Just watch out for your body and if it signals that you need to drink more, are constantly thirsty, and you test positive on a ketone strip... you may want to have a small glass of juice (with normal sugars) to break up the ketosis stages. Don't forget to bring it up with your DR. too, so he/she is well aware of what your body is doing.

Focus on the positive and Enjoy that bad taste. It is the exhaust of BURNING FAT!! YEA!! HOORAY!!!!!!!

I don't believe it is ketosis. I had the Same problem and was sleeved on 3/26. I was tested when I ended up in the ER for dehydration and wasn't in ketosis yet. I have been in ketosis and it is a different taste. I described this as a metallic taste. My doctor thought it was a Vitamin deficiency ( i think zinc) but I never tested because it got better. I still can't stand the taste of Water. I Water down crystal light lemonade or get the diet chick fil la lemonade.

It will get better around 5-6 weeks.

I'm pre sleeve but I know my husband drank crystal light and Mio all the time during the beginning stage after surgery. After a while, it go to where he couldn't drink it anymore- it tasted strange and left an awful aftertaste. We looked for alternatives, Dansani had come out with their Water flavorings and man, it's soo much better! No aftertaste or weird taste build up no matter how much you drink, and it's fresh and light tasting, not sugary. Give that a try- my faves are pink lemonade, grape, and pineapple coconut. They also have cherry pomegranate, fruit punch, etc. I've sung the praises of Dansani so much on VST folks probably think I'm a Dansani plant- but I promise I'm not! :)

I did call my doctor and the nurse their stated it was more likely the anesthesia coming out of my body. They said this was normal and will go away in time. I don't have a metallic taste, just an odd aftertaste while I would drink the crystal light. Dasani flavored water sounds refreshing and I'm willing to give it a try. Thank you all for your replies!! :-)

When I tried Atkins..or South Beach...(who can remember them all at this point) I remember reading about Ketosis and I remember the B.O. It wasn't to the point that I was embarrassed to leave the house...it was just something that I noticed on myself. I didn't have the taste issues though.

Is body odor an issue after surgery too? Just curious....