Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So today was my day! I had VSG surgery at 7:30am. Most of the morning is a blur thanks to versed and anesthesia. The nurses have really been pushing me to get 5 oz an hour of dilluted gatorade down using 1 oz medicine cups. I just cant do ir. I'm lucky to get 2 down in an hour and that;s painful! I"m scheduled to be discharged tomorrow but i'm worried about dehydration without an IV. I've looked around on the forums, but can someone please share their experience with me and tell me this is normal?

So today was my day! I had VSG surgery at 7:30am. Most of the morning is a blur thanks to versed and anesthesia. The nurses have really been pushing me to get 5 oz an hour of dilluted gatorade down using 1 oz medicine cups. I just cant do ir. I'm lucky to get 2 down in an hour and that;s painful! I"m scheduled to be discharged tomorrow but i'm worried about dehydration without an IV. I've looked around on the forums' date=' but can someone please share their experience with me and tell me this is normal?[/quote']

Congratulations, I'm 2 weeks in and right up until I left the hospital I was getting IV fluids. I couldn't tolerate Water and the whole day I consumed a total of 2 ounces. My doctor wanted me to stay and i fought tooth and nail to go. My first full day home i was able to pace myself on my own and needless to say i adamant about getting my fluids and Protein in because with my background I've seen the repercussions the latter. It will come, as long as you are persistent in trying. Good luck!

Hi ... Congratulations! Yes, I struggled as well. They most likely will not let you go home until they see you drink as certain amount per hour. My surgeon came in and counted the empty cups. So, with that being said .... Do the best you can and sip, sip sip!..... Best wishes for a quick recovery!

CONGRATS....U must be feeling pretty good to be online and posting already....You will do just fine....and good luck!

This is the WORK part. Every sip is a success. Take a TEENY sip every 3-5 minutes. In 24 hours, you will find it easier. In 48 hours, you'll increase the volume significantly. In a week, you'll look back on today and tomorrow and think, 'Wow, I've come a long way already!'

Just stay focused on what your job is. Sip every three minutes. Try a variety. Clear chicken broth. Jello. Water. In a couple of days you can have full liquids, and it might take an entire day to get in an 11 oz Protein Shake, but a few days later, you'll be able to drink two. Expect to feel a 'heartburney' feeling in your sternum for the first 5 days or so.

And, DON'T BE A HERO! Take your pain meds. sleep A LOT! As soon as you wake up, take a sip. This, too, shall pass! It gets easier. I promise.

Thanks for the advice everybody! I got discharged today and am home feeling pretty good. I still have some pain and some gas pains in the shoulders but I got sent home with some meds to help with nausea and pain. You were right about the Fluid intake getting better today. It's still not perfect but it's improved, and now thanks to your advice, I expect it to be even better tomorrow.

@LipstickLady - I particularly enjoyed your advice and actually used it! I was drinking from medicine cups while I was walking The nurses said that was the first time they'd seen anybody do that but hey - i was able to get 5 oz in before bed.

I still don't think it's quite set in that I lost 85% of my stomach! Not sure when that's going to click in, but I'm ready for the pain and gas to go away so I can go back to 'normal'. I just can't imagine what's ahead, yet when I started this journey I thought I had it all figured out. It's very exciting, and I just want to hit Fast Forward! :)

Congratz!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

CONGRATZ i can't wait to get here!!!!

Thanks for the advice everybody! I got discharged today and am home feeling pretty good. I still have some pain and some gas pains in the shoulders but I got sent home with some meds to help with nausea and pain. You were right about the Fluid intake getting better today. It's still not perfect but it's improved, and now thanks to your advice, I expect it to be even better tomorrow.

@LipstickLady - I particularly enjoyed your advice and actually used it! I was drinking from medicine cups while I was walking The nurses said that was the first time they'd seen anybody do that but hey - i was able to get 5 oz in before bed.

I still don't think it's quite set in that I lost 85% of my stomach! Not sure when that's going to click in, but I'm ready for the pain and gas to go away so I can go back to 'normal'. I just can't imagine what's ahead, yet when I started this journey I thought I had it all figured out. It's very exciting, and I just want to hit Fast Forward! :)

Yay! Happy it worked for you. Walking was the only way I could burp and burping was the only way I could get the liquid down my throat. I am 6 days post op and I am am still standing at my computer (work from home, my laptop is usually at the bar top that divides the kitchen and the family room) walking in place while I sip. It's the only way I can get my fluids in. :).

Sleeved 2 days ago, and sipping while walking is easiest for me.