Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

stalled and overly emotional. aka - it's been a rough week

It's only Tuesday, and I can already say that this week stinks.

I've been stalled. Stalled for about a week. It's frustrating. Today I stepped on the scale and actually put on 3 lbs since yesterday. I know fluctuations are normal, and I'm also on my period so I know that's not helping, but I just can't help feeling totally hopeless. I feel like I'm gonna be "that person" that this surgery doesn't work for. My first week, even in pain, I was flying high because every day the scale went down. Then week 2 it stopped completely. Now it's almost week 3 and I'm gaining.

I'm feeling very much like a failure today.

I sat at my desk today at work and just cried and cried. Not sobbing or anything, but I just couldn't stop the tears from coming.

And it doesn't help that my mom keeps calling to ask how much weight I've lost. I try to explain the stall to her and find myself getting choked up and sad because I'm so frustrated that I've gone through all this pain/work/discomfort/change (not to mention how much money I've spent!) and it's just not happening the way I wished and hoped it would.

My activity is minimal, I'll admit it. I'm not cleared for any weight lifting or exercise beyond walking right now. But I have been going for walks - albeit short walks - around my neighborhood. I still have soreness that flares up if I move around too much - pretty sure that's because I have such a jiggly belly, so it's constantly moving around. I also still can't sleep on my side and get comfy, so I feel like I haven't really gotten a GOOD night's sleep since surgery. The soreness and feeling unrested is wearing me down...

I'm struggling to stay optimistic that the stall will pass and that I'll be back to losing soon enough.

I hope I didn't go through all of this for nothing.

I stalled at 2 weeks for about 2 weeks then it came off at about a pound a day. Just try to remember almost all of us go through this. HUGS!

I'm in the same boat as you-- weight wise. I lost 13 preop, 12 since surg on 5/8, nothing hit past week or so! Don't get discouraged! It's still so early, we will lose the weight. How could we not with how little we are consuming?

Lets make a pact to put our scales away, weigh only once a week, and enjoy the NSVs. I'm thrilled to feel more in control of my food intake and have fewer cravings.

Don't worry, we got this!!!

PS: your profile pic suggests you are a beautiful, positive, happy girl! Be proud of yourself for starting this journey!

AT three weeks out I stalled for three weeks. I was so frustrated, felt alone. All these others were loosing weight, why not me. I was doing EVERYTHING right but still stuck. BUT this too will pass, I am now four months out and have "stalled" three or four times, and eveyrtime I just tell my self there is no way I can be eating as little as I am and not loose weight. I think they dont officially call it a stall untill you maintain the same weight for at least a month, but it felt like years to me. Know that you are not alone. That almost everyone of us have been where you are and will be again. I had to put the scale away and only weigh once a week for a while or I went nuts. You will get past this jsut don;t get hung up on the numbers because they will go up and they will go down but your size WILL continue to shrink. I hated my sleeve for months two- three. IT GETS BETTER!!!! keep strong!

When did you have the surgery? My BFF had the gastric surgery a few months ago and initially it was hard. She even had to be hospitalized. Now she is doing well. Keep your head up.

I'm at a stall at 6 months out. It's been 5 weeks now. Done about everything and can't seem to get it going again. I have 42 more lbs to lose so I hope I am not done. I so wanted to be under 200 by the end of June and it just is not happening. 2 months ago I was sure I would be there and now I do not see it. It is very depressing. I also can not do exercise because of pain. So I just don't know what to do.

I stall all the time, I just let it get to me bc if i do it will discourage me, I've only lost 60lbs since Sept. 2012, it's very slow but im not in a hurry to be the ideal weight. Keep faith that you will eventually loose it all !!!

Awww you sound miserable, I'm sorry :( I went through something similar, but it does pass. I "stalled" my second week and remained in the stall for abput 3 weeks! It was awful but since then I have lost about 8 more pounds :) It does get better.....also I was very teary eyed and sad off and on for weeks. I can't say I am completely over this but this too did get better. Keep up the good work and cut yourself some slack you are doing great!!!

This happens to almost all of us. It happened to me. I lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks then 2 pounds in the next 3... But it does come off. Our bodies are strange creatures. Btw I'm almost 2 years post op. Relax hun! YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT! and a lot of it

Keep your head up !! You will loss, all of us hit stalls in our journey. Just keep doing what your doing it will work.God Bless and prayers!!!

I'd blame your TOM for the tears and the mini gain. I agree with everyone. It's temporary and It will come off. Just be kind to yourself today, drink lots, and maybe turn off your phone..... ???? It's going to work for you!!!

scales don't always tell the whole truth! Too many influencing factors. Something I did to keep my spirits up during apparent stalls was to try on a tight article of clothing. Even tho the scale wouldn't show a loss, the clothes would. They were clearly getting looser. It was a great day when I stopped having to record my weight daily for my surgeon and could do it once a week instead! Really took away the pressure, anxiety and frustration!! Hang in there!!

First of all, once you realize you're not going to lose weight every day, week, or even month, this process will be a lot easier for you! The first month or so your hormones are crazy! I know I went from crying to screaming in a matter of minutes! This surgery works. Keep following the plan! I stalled several times. A month being the longest so far but I'm down 76 in 6 months. The stalls piss me off to the point I don't even step on that stupid scale anymore! I measure myself once every two weeks or so and my clothes are so loose now. Don't give up and good luck!

I'm glad you posted this. Seemed like everyone was losing a ton after the surgery but we. It's been 2 weeks and I've lost 10 lbs and only 2 this past week. I think we become frustrated because we have these expectations of what our bodies "should" be doing which doesn't coincide w what our bodies are prepared to do. I know it will come off so I'm trying to adjust my expectations now. This transformation is definitely happening on many different levels for me.

I've been in a stall for about 3 months now....so frustrating and I'm actually worried that at 42 lbs lost, I've hit the end. This stall started in my fifth month following surgery. I do love the sleeve though and actually love the way I feel today but have 27 lbs to go to reach my goal and I really don't want to give up and stop here. I know it's common to have a stall but I'm worried that the scale won't move again. :(