Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain & Difficulty after Revision

Hoping someone may have some insight or a similar experience.

I was revised Band to Sleeve on May 11th. Overall everything has gone really well. But, I am still having quite a bit of tenderness/pain at one incision site. No redness or infection, just some pain. It's the area where my (very high placed) port was and it is also my longest incision so I'm guessing that's where my stomach and band were pulled out. Plus it's an incision that was used in two previous surgeries, so I'm assuming that's just normal recovery for an incision with that much "trauma."

But my real problem is fluids! I don't have any difficulty swallowing so I don't think it could be a stricture... But I am struggling to get in any fluids at all, let alone any Protein I am supposed to be getting by now. I was on clears for 3 days, and now on full liquids. Can tolerate water/crystal light/diluted Gatorade, but not any Protein shakes or Soups other than plain chicken broth without feeling very nauseous afterwards, even on 1-3 oz servings. I've tried Premiere shakes (my favorite pre-op), some Syntrax nectar and a strawberry powder from Walmart that I mixed with Water and with milk to no success.

I am going to try to stay on clears a few more days and see if I just need to wait for some more swelling to go down, but just wondering if any revisions (or anyone for that matter) also had similar experiences in recovery! Any experience or advice is appreciated!!

Oh and I have already contacted my surgeon and post op care doc, of course!! Just waiting for a reply! :)

I experienced the exact same thing. I was not able to get many liquids down especially the Protein but I just got in what I could. I watered down everything, especially Gatorade which I loved the most. I couldn't stand the taste of crystal light because it was to sweet. I even tried using the crystal light singles and only putting a little bit in my Water but it was still too sweet. So opted for water and drinking Pure Protein mixed with water. It would take me at least 2 days to finish a 16 oz glass. But I just continued to sip through out the day. I went back to work today and I sipped on caffeine free tea with non flavored Protein Powder. It was ok and I am still sipping on it now. I think it just gets better with time. Things will slowly get better so just hang in there. You are not going through this alone.

Had my revision on May 6th and still having trouble getting my liquids/protein in. I can't do Protein Shakes either but I ordered these very expensive Protein Shots that are only 2.9 oz and have 25 grams of Protein. I use them on days I really need the protein to give me strength. Now that I am on soft foods protein has become easier. I eat 2 80 Cal Greek Yogurts and 2 egg whites each day but I am finding it hard to get my liquids in between trying to remind myself to eat every 3 or 4 hours. Hang in there it will get easier.