Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do people make this commitment, risk their lives on a surgery table and then...

Refuse to realize the importance of following their surgeon's orders? If my doctor tells me to stand on my head and consume only Pork rinds for a month, I'm going to do it. If he tells me to drink only purple and pink sparkly liquids for a month, I'm going to do it.

Doctors don't just make this crap up to be sadists, they do it for a reason. Yes, we know our bodies better, but they know the health of our new pouches better.

Can they be wrong? Sure! Can they be overly cautious? Without a doubt! Can leaks happen anyways? Unfortunately. That said, I am going to follow the instructions given and not come here seeking permission to do differently. I am certainly not going to get pissy when people tell me to follow doctor's orders. What's the point?

Phew. I feel so much better.

exactly thats why alot of people been faling with these surgery because they dont fallow ther drs orders

There are several currently. I am sitting here exhausted at four days post op just dying to feel normal, but so grateful I am healthy, I came through surgery winningly, and that I am on my way to a healthy weight. I researched this for over a year. I can't imagine risking my health for a bite of nothing right now.

I guess I am too happy with my life to be so foolish.

humans are FAMOUS for doing things they know they shouldn't...the "that only happens to other people" phenomenon is well documented...and, if it was just as simple as following doctor's orders, most of us wouldn't have needed surgery in the first place.

I have to say that I understand where you are coming from. However, it is easier said than done! I was not perfect on my pre-op diet, but that doesn't mean that I don't want/hope to be successful. food is an addiction for many (most) of the people on this forum. If it was just that easy to make the change, most of us wouldn't have to have surgery.

I am only 12 days out and have not "cheated" post op. But, I have a long way to go and don't expect not to falter ever. I think trying to be "perfect" has set me up for failure in the past b/c I put too much pressure on myself.

I do understand what you mean about some of the more egregious choices people have made though. I am glad I haven't caved to temptations like some.

I'm so far from perfect, I can't even pronounce it. That said, I may want something or even nibble something (I hope not!) in sheer desperation, but I will not come here seeking approval for it and then get mad when people disagree with my choice. Big difference right there.

I am totally a food addict with no underlying issues to solve. I have no doubt I will screw the goose multiple times, but I will NOT do it while I am healing. I like myself and my kids far too much to do that.

I agree with this thread 100%. If you are already cheating days or weeks after surgery, how in the world do you expect to succeed. Also, I know that each doctor has different protocols. But if you don't follow your OWN doctor's orders and you have a problem, it is all on YOU. If you do follow them and have a problem, at least you know you did everything in your power to prevent it. I think people forget that they couldn't do it on their own. That's why they had surgery. Why try to do it on their own afterward? Why do they think they know best?

I agree with this thread a billion times over. It gets under my skin!! Research is imperative for such a life changing surgery! And the risks! People started solids too early...yeesh...some of us did everything by the book and still had leaks! I fear the sleeve is becoming more of a cosmetic procedure in our society.

Have a friend who had the sleeve 2 weeks after me. He went to a different doctor and has a different plan. He is doing horrible...drinking...eating McDonalds, etc. he also stopped going for his checkups then he sees me - down 120 pounds in 7 months and keeps telling me I am losing to quickly...not eating enough...not healthy, etc. really getting annoying and I want to tell him off but he's my customer and I can't. Lol!! Some people think this is an instant cure and it's far from that. It's hard work.

I think I told you about this on the other page earlier, but as I struggle to get in my Clear Liquids, days after I've been put on full, I see others eating solids at this point!!! I wouldn't be willing to risk it, but it's easier for me to say that feeling too stuffed to get in water! Lol But you know I love you and this post is no exception!!!!! <3 None of us are perfect, but we make the choice to do everything we can to stick to the plan... And any failure would be shameful and corrected lol ... Not blasted looking for forgiveness and approval!!

I was really cautious about the dietary progression from liquid to puree to soft.