Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

'Surgery' cards... Notices to resturants that you've had bariatric surgery

After my post surgical appointment, my doctors office gave me some business sizes cards that state that I've had bariatric surgery. I'm to put a couple in my purse and car. They are to alert emergency medical workers not to insert an NG tube without first contacting my surgeons office. On the back is a request to restaurants to allow me to order from children's menu. Did anyone else get these types of cards? Do restaurants honor them?

Thanks...

I also have a card. I have not had a problem anywhere except TGI- FRIDAYS. They flat out refused to let me order from the kids menu, so my family and I left and will not be returning.

I have the Restaurant Card not the other. I have never used it. I tried one time at a buffet in Fl and she just said I could not eat the meat. I never tried again. I guess they think you are trying to pull a fast one. I usually eat off of someone's plate, get an appetizer or order a meal and take most home. That works for me.

After my post surgical appointment' date=' my doctors office gave me some business sizes cards that state that I've had bariatric surgery. I'm to put a couple in my purse and car. They are to alert emergency medical workers not to insert an NG tube without first contacting my surgeons office. On the back is a request to restaurants to allow me to order from children's menu. Did anyone else get these types of cards? Do restaurants honor them?

Thanks...[/quote']

i was just in Las Vegas this weekend and took my son to Texas de Brazil for his graduation dinner. It's a steakhouse...but it's a buffet! I asked if I could have a reduced price because I had surgery and they said unless I had a card, I could not get the discount! I said that I would show them my scars but they said no! Anyway, I didn't order the buffet and just had some salad. This was the first time that I have ever run in to this. I have never had a problem--even at Disney World. They let me eat off the kids meal no questions asked!

I'd never heard of this until right now....sounds like a nice perk and how nice of some restraunts to honor it!

But I personally wouldn't ever get my feelings hurt if they didn't. It's one of those things to me, that although I'm having surgery and will def eat less, I'm not going to demand a discount if someone doesn't want to give it to me. This statement isn't directed at anyone here, but I feel like as a society we're becoming more and more demanding and less and less appreciative.

But still, how nice of those restraurants that honor the card - - what a nice perk!

Kids' menus are so icky and unhealthy for the most part. I plan on ordering from the appetizer menu and the sides or add-ons. If that isn't feasible, I will order my meal boxed, with a plate, and serve myself just the right sized portion, taking home the rest for later. With two kids, we usually take a cooler and ice packs in the car for doggie bags anyways, so...

i was just in Las Vegas this weekend and took my son to Texas de Brazil for his graduation dinner. It's a steakhouse...but it's a buffet! I asked if I could have a reduced price because I had surgery and they said unless I had a card, I could not get the discount! I said that I would show them my scars but they said no! Anyway, I didn't order the buffet and just had some salad. This was the first time that I have ever run in to this. I have never had a problem--even at Disney World. They let me eat off the kids meal no questions asked!

I just got back from Disney. I went with my family to a "character" buffet. I did not order anything because they only had the $37 buffet...nothing ala carte. When the bill came, we found that they HAD charged me the full $37 because, as they said, I had been entertained by the characters. After complaining, the manager took the charge off our bill.

I've used my card once or twice in 21 months, but I usually either order a meal and box up half or order an appetizer only, to be delivered with everyone else's meal. Most places are fine with substituting a vegetable (usually broccoli for me) for the fries/rice/potato portion of the meal. If they aren't, those items just go back to the kitchen untouched. Well, if I'm being totally honest, I'll usually eat a couple of fries or one bite of mashed potato, but not until after I've finished my Protein portion of my meal.

I also have a card. I have not had a problem anywhere except TGI- FRIDAYS. They flat out refused to let me order from the kids menu' date=' so my family and I left and will not be returning.[/quote']

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. My family and I eat at Fridays all the time and I always order from the appetizer menu. The kids menu is loaded with high calorie food which we who are sleeved should not be eating. I find that to be the case for most restaurants that has a kids menu.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. My family and I eat at Fridays all the time and I always order from the appetizer menu. The kids menu is loaded with high calorie food which we who are sleeved should not be eating. I find that to be the case for most restaurants that has a kids menu.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I probably won't be trying again. I will take a bite from my kids and husband's plate from now on. We don't go out often so its not a big deal. Its just a shame because there was 7 of us ordering. We just took our business elsewhere.

I have a card but I haven't used it yet. I just order what I want and take most of it home or share something with someone. I wrote about the NGT tube on the back of my drivers license with a marker not to insert.

I got these cards too. I'm one month post-op, but haven't used the Restaurant Card yet.

My doc in Mexico gave me a card. I'm not one to ask for deals. appetizers, sharing and doggy bags work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I just order a regular meal and take the rest home. A meal at a restaurant usually lasts me 4 nights. I have eaten out three times.

What is a NGT tube and why can't it be used on us?