Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the Forum

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 34, and for the past 6-7 years, I've really struggled with weight. In high school, I played football and baseball and was very in shape. I went to college and struggled with weight a little, but got through it. In law school, I started focussing on working out and really got into running. I was never a speedster, but I loved the comradery of the running community in my area. Around late 2006 and 2007, I started getting busier with work, met my wife and got out of exercising. Sure, I went for a walk now and then, but I really fell off the wagon with exercise.

In 2008, I quit smoking (yes, I know it's crazy that I smoked and ran, but it is what it is) and after that the weight started to pile on. Between 2007 and now, I went from the 200-215 range to the 360-370 range. There were some brief drops in weight when I went on the fad diet of the month, but lately, the weight has been damn near impossible to get off. The better I eat and the more I exercise, the more my body fights to keep the weight. It is very frustrating. Earlier this year, my doctor suggested RNY. I did some research re: WLS, and I really became intersted in the sleeve.

Unfortunately, my insurance policy doesn't cover WLS. However, I'm blessed to be in a position to self-pay for the procedure. This is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards the selave. My wife is very supportive of me getting the procedure, but is concerned about the risks. That's another reason I'm leaning towards the sleeve. My father and my inlaws are also very supportive, but my mom and my sister aren't too high on the decision. In their words, they can't understand why I just can't lose the weight on my own. To be honest with you, I wish I knew the answer to that question.

I went to the free seminar this past weekend, and stayed for a support group meeting for pos-op patients. I was blown away by all the success stories from everyone. Tomorrow, I have my first meeting with the surgeon where we will discuss my options. I have a sneaking suspicion he will push RNY, but after all the research I've done, I believe the sleeve is best for me.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. It's amazing to see so many success stories and such good advice from everyone. Here's to a good decision and a new life!

welcome...this is a very helpful and supportive site...I try to check in at least once a day here...I am 2 weeks post-op today

Glad to see you are taking the steps to return to better health. It is a journey like no other. I too was drawn to the sleeve surgery after research and I am not disappointed in my choice.

There are struggles, and time where you may say to yourself "what did I do?" but those times pass, and as you adjust to your new lifestyle, the rewards are amazing.

This site has such good support for us, and it is a great replacement for the in person groups which I do not take part in. Use the search feature for any questions and you almost certainly will get the answer you seek, and keep us all up to date with your progress..

Congrats, and welcome to the sleever club. :)

WELCOME!!! I'm at work, so I haven't read your entire post, but I will as soon as I can.

Welcome to the group, you will find a lot of information and support on this site. Good luck with your upcoming consult. Keep us posted.

Welcome, explore and ask any questions you have!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 34, and for the past 6-7 years, I've really struggled with weight. In high school, I played football and baseball and was very in shape. I went to college and struggled with weight a little, but got through it. In law school, I started focussing on working out and really got into running. I was never a speedster, but I loved the comradery of the running community in my area. Around late 2006 and 2007, I started getting busier with work, met my wife and got out of exercising. Sure, I went for a walk now and then, but I really fell off the wagon with exercise.

In 2008, I quit smoking (yes, I know it's crazy that I smoked and ran, but it is what it is) and after that the weight started to pile on. Between 2007 and now, I went from the 200-215 range to the 360-370 range. There were some brief drops in weight when I went on the fad diet of the month, but lately, the weight has been damn near impossible to get off. The better I eat and the more I exercise, the more my body fights to keep the weight. It is very frustrating. Earlier this year, my doctor suggested RNY. I did some research re: WLS, and I really became intersted in the sleeve.

Unfortunately, my insurance policy doesn't cover WLS. However, I'm blessed to be in a position to self-pay for the procedure. This is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards the selave. My wife is very supportive of me getting the procedure, but is concerned about the risks. That's another reason I'm leaning towards the sleeve. My father and my inlaws are also very supportive, but my mom and my sister aren't too high on the decision. In their words, they can't understand why I just can't lose the weight on my own. To be honest with you, I wish I knew the answer to that question.

I went to the free seminar this past weekend, and stayed for a support group meeting for pos-op patients. I was blown away by all the success stories from everyone. Tomorrow, I have my first meeting with the surgeon where we will discuss my options. I have a sneaking suspicion he will push RNY, but after all the research I've done, I believe the sleeve is best for me.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. It's amazing to see so many success stories and such good advice from everyone. Here's to a good decision and a new life!

Wish you the best!! I just read the entire post. You will have success this time around (affirmation)!!!

Welcome to the site! The people on here are very informative, offer great insight and a true asset to our WLS journey!

Welcome, brother!

Best of luck to you in your journey. I was about your weight of 360-370 in my late 20s / early 30s as well. I'm about 4.5 months post-op and below goal. You're making the right choice. Ask questions any time!

Welcome my friend! I haven't had surgery yet (06/05), but I wanted to welcome you and reiterate what everyone else says as far as this being a great area to get all kinds of information...albeit sometimes too much information!! You will learn a lot and I wish you the best.

Welcome :) I myself am new too. My surgery is scheduled for 6/5 and very excited. This site has been awesome, very insightful and at times scary but I as well as everyone want to know all sides on the sleeve. Hope it all goes well and here Is to a better future :)

I am scheduled to be sleeved June 20th..excitement mixed with nerves..at 6'4 and 400 lbs I'm more then ready to change my life.the only thing I am most worried about is getting through the 5 days of the liquid diet.i love sugar free Jello but not sure i can exist on that and sugar free pops and broth...I am certainly going to try my best..I am self paying in Mexico.my friend went to the same clinic I am going to and he says it's the best thing that he has ever done..he's down almost 80 lbs since jan.this app has been very helpful..I'm really glad there is a space just for men too...we really do lose weight and deal with pain far differently then women do I believe.if anyone has any suggestions on getting through the liquid only few days it would be helpful.i can't wait to start the second part of my life.

In terms of the 'liquid fast', I assume that you'll be doing some Protein suppliments or is it a 'clear liquid' fast? I am in Optifast for 2 weeks followed by 2 days of Clear Liquids. After the first few days, I can honestly say I am not hungry, though my head tells me otherwise when I see food commercials on TV. But, shoot, If I Can YOIU can!