Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best self-pay price in Southern California?

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if maybe some of you have done research on self-pay cash prices for the procedure in southern california? My insurance covers Lap-Band but not the sleeve. I origanlly went to a seminar for Lap-Band with Dr. Naim in Costa Mesa and he started talking about the sleeve. I have done an extensive research on the subject over the weekend and I think I want the sleeve over the band. But my insurance says no... So does any of you know of a reliable good surgeon with a reasonable price?

Hello Everyone' date='

I was wondering if maybe some of you have done research on self-pay cash prices for the procedure in southern california? My insurance covers Lap-Band but not the sleeve. I origanlly went to a seminar for Lap-Band with Dr. Naim in Costa Mesa and he started talking about the sleeve. I have done an extensive research on the subject over the weekend and I think I want the sleeve over the band. But my insurance says no... So does any of you know of a reliable good surgeon with a reasonable price?[/quote']

If you are already I'm southern Cali, have you considered Mexico?

I have considered it and it's a no for me. It's just too much for me to travel and stay there. I don't have any family here, my husband works a lot and I have a baby at home. It would have to be somewhere here.

If you are already I'm southern Cali, have you considered Mexico?

That's what I came on this post to say. :D .. (Well, except the Lil typo/spell check error) ;)

That's what I came on this post to say. :D .. (Well' date=' except the Lil typo/spell check error) ;)[/quote']

Damn fat fingers and tiny keyboards.

any other suggestions other than Mexico? It would be impossible for me to make the trip.

any other suggestions other than Mexico? It would be impossible for me to make the trip.

Why impossible? How far are you from the border?

Regardless of where you have surgery you will need to be in hospital for a couple days. I would not go to a outpatient only surgeon

I had the same trouble with my insurance not picking up the GS. I just waited. Yours will get on board too, it's the most popular of all and the safest, they have to get on board.

Since you are in Cali I can only imagine the price ....you might need to take a second mortgage

I just had mine done in Orange County as a self-pay and the "all-in" cost was $19,500. I also happened to see an online ad for a center in Northridge that offers self-pay for $12,500 and they say they are the lowest cost in So. Cal. Personally, since there are multiple pre-op and post-op appointments, I wasn't willing to drive to Northridge...but, a $7,000 savings is certainly noteworthy.

Dr. Oliak was my surgeon....he is board certified in bariatrics and he does his surgeries at a bariatric center if excellence in Placentia.

Oh, and their "all-in" cost included surgeon, anesthesiologist, 2 days in hospital, all pre-op and post-op appointments for a year. Didn't include blood work, upper GI or EKG, but I was able to run those through my PCP and have insurance cover them.

I am also in OC. I called Dr. Oliak but he is pricey... I also spoke with Dr. Naim and they said 21,000. How many of you had it done in Mexico? How was it? Not to offend anyone but its not just about the trip, I am also terrified. You hear terrible stories about Tijuana. I have never been and I probably shouldnt listen but cannot help myslef. How was it? And with who? How much of a $ difference are we talking aboout?

Umm.. OC can be a lot scarier than TJ. Every city has its bad place. You do enough research and you will be going to TJ for surgery. They have vast more experience than any surgeon in the states and for a fraction of the price. They don't have to charge a lot because it doesn't cost a lot. It costs a lot in the states because it's out of control. It disgusts me what most US surgeons are doing to our medical system here.

Thank you. Your nickname says Ms Antiband... yiu had a band? Lap band is also on my list to consider since my insurance does cover it. Now I have 3 options: 1. Lapband 2. Sleeve here and pay $19, 000 (partly credit card, partly savings in general can't afford it at all 3. Go to TJ. Never been more confused... what to do??!! Help!