Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Explaining your weight loss

I have a great support network of my son, sister and group of close friends. They have been rock solid behind me since my survey three and a half weeks ago.

Next week I go back to work and will see colleagues who haven't seen me for over a month. And I look pretty different! I am down 2-3 clothes sizes since they saw me last (my ticker gets updated after next weigh in on June 5). I am torn between not wanting to discuss my sleeve and not wanting to lie. I will be on soft foods so that will also be noticed...

How have you handled questions about your weight loss, whether from work colleagues or from acquaintances?

Surgery not survey, lol!!!!!

I'm not hiding anything so i have told everyone i had surgery. Everyone has been very supportive and that helps with my recovery. It also helps that everyone since they know is more conscious of talking about food around me and offering me food.

I tell everyone who asks because I know that I get really angry and offended when someone lies to me and besides if you have gone down in 2 to 3 cloths sizes, those people will put 2 and 2 together and know anyways. What if what you did to better your health can help someone who is struggling with their health and weight make a decision on wls. Wouldn't that be awesome. And the nay sayers, well they can just go to he**! We got this and will be so much more healthier to boot! :)

I have found it really fascinating. When people hear I had surgery, they are VERY interested, especially people I know that have struggled with weight. They ask tons of questions and are very interested in my progress. I try to talk honestly about it with those I know. However, I occasionally get people who have clearly NEVER had a weight problem, and who know NOTHING about the surgery offer advice - I had one friend suggest all sorts of fruit juice blends for post-surgery! But I just smile and try to walk away from that sort of advice. I try to focus on those that are interested and/or supportive. Never know - it may help someone else make a life-changing decision!

Personally, I did not tell anyone - however, I did not take much time off work. I had the surgery on Monday and was back to work for a half day on Friday. My weight loss has been fantastic but nothing to raise an eyebrow for the people who see me everyday.

If I had taken an extended leave I don't think I could have kept the surgery to myself - unless I wanted to lie about it. Even from people who don't know I had surgery I get unsolicted advice about how I can do this or that better - you will get comments no matter what.

Having said all of that - I believe what you want to tell people is very personal. I am now deciding on a plastic surgeon and I am telling EVERYONE about that surgery!

I also only told a very select few, however I was lucky and did not return to work as we moved shortly after my surgey. How well do you know your coworkers? If your not very close to them then I see no problem with being very vague about it. You can be discrete and not lie. I personally didn't have to lie and still was able to not share my personal business. I have learned on here that people variety quiet a bit on this topic, only you can decide what's right for you. I took some slack from some people in my hospitals support group for telling someone that I was working hard and following an extremely stricken diet because a few felt like it was lying, I personal felt like it was completely true, I do follow a very strict diet and I work out 6 days a week, for me the last few months my weightless has been almost like a full time job and I do not feel like it was a lie but I learned quickly that many people do not agree with that so anyways I said all that just to say you need to do what's best for you. Good luck and good job on your weightless so far.

Ive lost 45 lbs and no one has said anything to me. I think it's because they're used to me yoyoin' all the time

I tell people I had the surgery and explain the actual surgery. Everyone thinks lapband is the only surgery out there or bypass. I like to tell people because I want other people that are overweight to be open to it and get a chance to change their lives. Even if the person is thin they might have a brother or sister that is overweight. :) Each person is different you may not want to share that with them if they are not close to you and theres nothing wrong with that. People that were crapy to me prior to losing I tell them that I exercise 5 times a week and eat healthy :)

I am open about my surgery as well. I don't see the point of hiding it. I feel like if you hide something you're ashamed of it. If people don't like it screw the you did it for you not them. If they are your friends they won't care. they might have questions but everyone does.

I only tell people that I feel should know. I mean, I don't really care what others think of me or my decisions, but I don't want to be around people who have in the past belittled others- so THOSE are the people I avoid. They don't have a need to know.

Your diet has changed

You are eating much less and are more conscious about what you are eating

You are/will be exercising more

You are more focused on your health now

All of these are or will be true for all of us and are very justifiable to anyone who hasn't had the surgery.

I have a great support network of my son' date=' sister and group of close friends. They have been rock solid behind me since my survey three and a half weeks ago.

Next week I go back to work and will see colleagues who haven't seen me for over a month. And I look pretty different! I am down 2-3 clothes sizes since they saw me last (my ticker gets updated after next weigh in on June 5). I am torn between not wanting to discuss my sleeve and not wanting to lie. I will be on soft foods so that will also be noticed...

How have you handled questions about your weight loss, whether from work colleagues or from acquaintances?[/quote']

I would simply say "I'm not ready to talk about it yet."

I appreciate that you value honesty, and you absolutely can maintain your privacy & integrity at the sme time.

My immediate department knew about the surgery. The rest of the building I only tell if they specifically ask what I have been doing to loose the weight and if we are somewhere private that I can talk about it. If not I just thank them for noticing. It is a private decision.

My immediate department knew about the surgery. The rest of the building I only tell if they specifically ask what I have been doing to loose the weight and if we are somewhere private that I can talk about it. If not I just thank them for noticing. It is a private decision.

I think it's up to you. Personally I don't care who knows or whether they agree or not. I'm doing it for my health. However with that said, I also think you have every right to not share. It's a personal decision and shouldn't feel obligated to share unless you want too.

Thanks for all the posts, I appreciate every one of them because there's something for me to think about in each one.

OTR, you are right, I value honesty and that's why I can't lie. But I am a pretty private person and therein lies my dilemma.

Taradawn15, I am the boss, so my co-workers will all have opinions about what has been happening and there will be talk depending on what I say because I usually keep professional life separate from personal stuff. Am cool about that but I am not sure how much they need to know versus them being concerned that something awful has happened to me (as some will think as we have worked together for years).

Kulita, like your thinking! Everyone knows I had diabetes and know that I have severe arthritis - the first has now gone and I have stopped the chemotherapy drug for my arthritis, just down to a weekly jab. So beyond weight, my health has altered beyond recognition. And maybe that's something I also need to factor in.....

My mind is now turning over, so will re-read the posts and start to form what I am going to say. You are all stars for speaking up, thanks again x