Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there anyone here who is over 60 who has to lose more than 100 lbs.?

Hello,

I'm WeeWers and I'm 60 and need to lose 165 pounds. My age and the *amount* of weight I have to lose -- well, I'm hoping to find a buddy in similar shoes.

Anyone out there??

Blessings,

WeeWers

I'm 54 (55 in sept) and have 130 to lose for my goal of 185. 150 to lose for their goal of 150.

I will be 51 tomorrow. I dont have my 1st meeting with surgeon until Tuesday my goal for myself is to loose 140, well soon see what he would like, Good Luck to you both

60 and need to lose 165 pounds.

WeeWers

don't be shy cuz of your age

age has been a discussion on the board, but mainly initiated by us "old farts"!!! :lol:

i turned 58 1 month PO in 2012

i lost 105 pounds - and i am very proud with my success

doesn't matter how old or young are after beint sleeved

having the WLS at any age benefits your healthier, happier, longer longer life!!!!

i can see B) the determination in your face concerning the WLS

you'll do great!!!!

there is a board for different "ages"

ie 60's

take care

good luck with WLS

speedy recovery

kathy

Thank you all for the kind responses!!

(BTW that's what my grand-daughters call me, Grammy)

I'm worried about how lonnnnnng until my goal weight. What kept you going during the stall times? Did you have weight loss discouragements along the way. Did you have a particular buddy that helped you. Did you go through counseling to deal with the "head-hunger?" Did you ever 'fall off the wagon?'

Please do tell,

WeeWers

I turned 60 in January...sleeved in February. I decided I didn't want to grow any older being obese. I needed to lose about 110-120 pounds. I'm down 60 lbs pre and post op but have a long way too go and hit my first real stall. Can't seem to get the scale to move.

Also, have had some increased stressors in the last month and I've made a few poor choices...eating some bad carbs. I start my days great..but by late afternoon, I want to start grazing...an old bad habit. I need to focus...FOCUS!!! Lol

I am 62 and have 105 pounds to lose; I've lost 17 in the month leading up to my surgery which is in 2 days. I am hoping that weight loss will add a few years to my life so that I can be there for the graduations and weddings of those whom I love the most. It's too late for me to look like Sophia Loren (!) but not too late to try to be a healthier person. With any luck at all, I have two more decades, and I want those to be as active and healthy as possible.

Weewers, I'll be 60 in two months, and have 120 pounds to lose. I am just starting my journey, with a visit to the social worker and NUT on Tuesday. I'll be happy to keep tabs with you and the others who have posted here. We are all in the same boat. Some are just at the head of it, lol.

Although I've almost always been overweight, I never dreamed that I would be making this decision. Finally came to realize I need this surgery if I'm going to live a healthy life.

Hi I am 62 and have lost 103 pounds since Aug 21,2013. I keep a diary of food and I do not eat many carbs. My stalls have been few but I walk almost every day for about a half an hour. The sleeve has not made my life better but it has made me better.

The more I read all these posts the less nerves I have . I cannot wait to see my surgeon and really get the ball rolling with all the other appointments. Thanks everyone. You all really help.

• Hi I am almost to one year post op. I am turning 63 in 19 days. To date I have lost 125 pounds half of what I weighed the day after surgery. It can be done after 60. Folow the rules and succeed. Go for it.

Hi I am almost to one year post op. I am turning 63 in 19 days. To date I have lost 125 pounds half of what I weighed the day after surgery. It can be done after 60. Folow the rules and succeed. Go for it.

My sleeve surgery is on Aug. 28. I'm getting more excited than nervous. I'm ready for the surgery help. I need to change completely.

Pammers, I'm in roughly the same situation. Turning 54 in October, and if I have goal of 150 that would mean 130 I'd need to lose.

However, at my age is it realistic to expect that much weight loss I wonder? Sounds like your goal of 185 sounds very realistic. I'm thinking that if I set my goal weight a little higher that it will be more realistic, more doable, and less heartache if I don't reach the lower 150 number.

On the other hand I see that many of you posting on this thread are older than me and have had great success. So that is encouraging.

Edited by librarianlk

I am now 63. Last November 2013 I weighed 295 lbs. and finally decided to do something about my weight. I started by going to my surgeon who had me start on a diet, that is, just cutting back. I only lost a few pounds and the doctor suggested that I go on a medically supervised diet before my rny surgery. By June I was down to 225. I had my surgery. Now, 3 1\2 months later I am 178 lbs. So far it hasn't been too difficult though I still eat too fast and need to chew better.

My original goal weight was 175. Now I am hoping for 170. A new challenge has come up - - grazing. I have to get back on track and have started a new food and exercise diary.

Given what I read in the forums, I am optimistic! You should be too. You can do it! With everyone's support, we all can have success stories.

Sacto

In June, 2013 I was 66 years old and I weighed 283 pounds. My back and my knees were killing me.

In October, 2014, I am 67 years old and I weigh 153. My back still hurts (not killing) but my knees are fine.

On Saturday, I went to party wearing a black jumpsuit - size SMALL - if I say so myself, I looked fashionable and well, fabulous.

I had the surgery for health reasons and hope it will work out that way. In the meantime, I am enjoying wearing clothes I have never been able to imagine before.

Would I have the surgery again. Absolutely!