Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What you wish you knew before the sleeve

I wish I had known that food withdrawal would turn me into a raving, maniacal, get-in-my-way-and-I-WILL-kill-you witch for a week in my 2nd week post-op. It was kind of scary (atleast that's what my husband says ;-) . I was ok when I got to the mushy foods stage.

Constipation. you don't think its going to be an issue. it is. I was NEVER constipated in my life until the sleeve and it by far the most uncomfortable feeling ever.

I wish I would of known that complications can be very serious, and what to look for to know. I had major complications twelve weeks in hospital almost lost my job due to excess time off from work was out 4months.

Wish I would of known about all the throwing up.

I love my sleeve just wanting to comment on what I wish I would of known.

Yikes!

Did your dr not inform you of the possibility of complications and the seriousness of the surgery?

Also, throwing up is not a normal issue with the sleeve. Unless it was because of your complications it's usually self inflicted from your eating style.

Hopefully, you're all better and over this difficult time of your journey. God bless and good luck.

Constipation. you don't think its going to be an issue. it is. I was NEVER constipated in my life until the sleeve and it by far the most uncomfortable feeling ever.

constipation. you don't think its going to be an issue. it is. I was NEVER constipated in my life until the sleeve and it by far the most uncomfortable feeling ever.

Amen and pass the Miralax!

I wish I had known that food withdrawal would turn me into a raving' date=' maniacal, get-in-my-way-and-I-WILL-kill-you witch for a week in my 2nd week post-op. It was kind of scary (atleast that's what my husband says ;-) . I was ok when I got to the mushy foods stage.[/quote']

Lol good to know! Watch out!

constipation. you don't think its going to be an issue. it is. I was NEVER constipated in my life until the sleeve and it by far the most uncomfortable feeling ever.

Yikes!

Dr did mention complications he down played them. I never thought I might habe complications.

Doing much better

I wish I'd known that even though Water is 'the best' liquid, I can drink iced tea, hot tea and coffee and live, thrive and survive!!! For the first three months I was constantly watching the color of the toilet water and was scared I'd end up in the ER needing an IV. I survived but when I went for my 3 month checkup, I was telling the nurse it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to drink that much water.....she said 'Just drink liquids, but make sure they are not sugary and not carbonated' My life changed at that point and I've been fine! I also wish I'd know FOUR OR FIVE years ago what I learned three years ago. What a wild ride, I've loved every single minute from the time I woke up in recovery. I've had an easy time, and I have fun. Just wait, one year after surgery, you will NOT believe how different your life is!! My advice as a 'veteran' sleever - I weigh every morning first thing....I have done this for over three years now. I started two months prior to surgery - log your food starting as soon as you get home and feel up to it. Better yet, get on myfitnesspal NOW and get in the habit. See how different your calories and Protein are now compared to post op!!! Use a salad plate, to this day I use one 90% of the time. Tonight, I pulled out the 'good china' - AKA paper plates. We had a left over Mexican casserole and refried beans....and I make HOMEMADE chips in the oven with corn tortillas. I put 1/3 cup of casserole and 1/8 cup of fat free refried Beans on this big ol' plate.....I said something to my husband about how empty my plate is, the amount looks like soooo little, on a salad plate, some nights it looks 'full'. LOL It's all a head game, psychological!!!! I added my four chips and it didn't look quite so empty. BTW, it was the perfect amount, I felt just right. I don't like to feel "FULL". Last but very important, weigh and/or measure your food from day one!!! I was measuring my broth when I got home from the hospital, all 1/8 cup of it!!! LOL All these things keep me very aware of where I am, this is my new life, it is habit. I have been maintaining for 2.5 years. Surgery isn't a magic bullet, but this has been easy to me. No hunger makes it much easier to resist if I need to or want to. Forced Portion Control was just what I needed. Good luck!!! I think this is longer than I intended, I'm sorry!!!

OMG - this is true. I've taken/tried everything to no avail. By accident I discovered Whole Grain Shredded Wheat - I think it's the amount of soluble or insoluble Fiber. Whichever one is good for all this....anyway, I try and 'snack' on this, just dry, a half cup a day. I like crunchy, so I enjoy it.

An ounce can be 6-10 sips. Or more....

Ughhhhh! That's gonna bite!!!

...this is my new life, it is habit. I have been maintaining for 2.5 years. Surgery isn't a magic bullet, but this has been easy to me. No hunger makes it much easier to resist if I need to or want to. Forced Portion Control was just what I needed...!

Thanks for sharing! I really think its attitude...having a good attitude, accepting what has to be done, not dwelling on what was, and doing what you have to do. I really hope I can adjust the way you have. I've tried my best to inform myself, to mentally prepare myself, to leave little room for surprises, and to go into this with my eyes wide open. You have a remarkable story of success and I wish you continued success :)

Yikes!

Did your dr not inform you of the possibility of complications and the seriousness of the surgery?

Also' date=' throwing up is not a normal issue with the sleeve. Unless it was because of your complications it's usually self inflicted from your eating style.

Hopefully, you're all better and over this difficult time of your journey. God bless and good luck.[/quote']

My doctors skimmed over the complications FOR SURE! When I asked more specific questions, they basically said that I was young and healthy and should do fine. I thankfully did, but spent the first few weeks in complete terror after reading about severe complications on here.

Thanks for sharing! I really think its attitude...having a good attitude, accepting what has to be done, not dwelling on what was, and doing what you have to do. I really hope I can adjust the way you have. I've tried my best to inform myself, to mentally prepare myself, to leave little room for surprises, and to go into this with my eyes wide open. You have a remarkable story of success and I wish you continued success :)

Thank you......I KNOW you'll be successful!!!! Attitude counts a lot, at least I think it does!!!

1. I wish I would have known just how nasty the Protein Shakes are prior to surgery...I didn't want to give up my "real food" for shakes before surgery (I am food lazy & food addicted)...and now I struggle to get in my Protein. My advice - find a shake that works for you!

2. I wish I would have been more thankful& grateful for the life I had prior to surgery. Unhealthy or not, it was my life. Now I am not really me. My advice - make sure you are willing to change who you are...

3. I wish I would have realized the surgery wasn't for me, but there was no way for me to know that ...I did everything I should have to get ready for surgery...my advice - make sure wls is for you.