Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

coffee drinkers?

I was a big coffee drinker before surgery and now after it was hard not having it especially when I wake up @ 2 AM to go to work. I didn't drink any until a month after surgery. I love my coffee and cream and sugar which I know is a bad choice. Any suggestions for me?

Oh I hope there are some good options for us after being sleeved. I have surgery on June 4th. I know I'll have to wait a while.

I've loved coffee forever! My favorite job ever was working at Starbucks and getting to learn all about it and make all the different variations of coffee, espresso, lattes, cappuccinos, and most of all inventing our own combinations! We got all the coffee we wanted and got a free pound every week too. It was HEAVEN.

My favorite is fresh ground organic Columbian or Guatemalan coffee espresso shots with steamed, whipped half-n-half. I'm sure the half-n-half is no longer a good choice. I've heard using coconut oil for Creamer is an option, and it is a healthy fat, but not sure if it would work. I've tried coconut cream and it is yummy, but not quite the same either.

I look forward to hearing what others might suggest!

As a coffee snob prior to surgery, I worried about this too. Let's just say a quad Grande Skinny vanilla Latte was my passion each morning. Yep...a quad. Sometimes I had more coffee in the afternoon, of course nothing as mundane as the grocery story brand (did I mention coffee snob). Sooo....after surgery....five weeks later, I ordered my old standby and found, to my dismay, that coffee didn't have the same appeal. I took a few sips and my tummy (sleeve) said, "Ok...that's enough." Now, I drink maybe 1/4 cup of just black coffee from the work breakroom...yep, the store brand.

Things change after surgery.

I wasnt' a coffee drinker prior to surgery, but I drink a chike Protein iced coffee every morning mixed with soy milk. It's awesome and gives me that little extra energy boost.

I agree my tummy does not agree with the creamer now but a tall cookie crumble frappucino is what I have come to like and doesn't bother me either but I do know that it is not a great choice. Maybe I can try a little black coffee in the morning.

I wasnt' a coffee drinker prior to surgery' date=' but I drink a chike Protein iced coffee every morning mixed with soy milk. It's awesome and gives me that little extra energy boost.[/sup']

That sounds good! Where did you get that?

I'm a coffee lover too & almost nixed the entire idea of having this surgery since they told me I couldn't drink coffee after being sleeved! WHAT???!!! So just wondering, are you all talking about regular coffee or Decaf? I really hate the taste of decaf but it might be better than not ever having coffee again. I never buy Starbucks or any other coffee out due to the cost, but I buy Gevalia or Duncan Donuts brand bags of coffee (with coupons of course) & use the flavored sugar free Creamers. Are those okay to have?

I was a huge coffee drinker as well. I liked flavored creamer with a little coffee added LOL. Now that I have the ok to drink coffee I actually do iced coffees. I use coffee, non fat milk, unflavored Protein Powder, and I get the sugar free Torani flavored syrups. They taste amazing to me! I use usually Gevalia or Starbucks ground coffee in my keurig machine. If I want to make more of a frappaccino type drink I will use flavored Protein powderwith coffee and some light soy vanilla milk and ice.. or use the Premier Protein shakes with ice and coffee to make it thicker. For some reason warm coffee doesn't agree with me, so I always have to drink cold things now... It's fine with me as long as I still get my coffee fix.. you just have to be careful becuase you need to make sureyou still get your Water in and don't substitute a cold drink for any water since coffee can dehydrate you :)

I use instant coffee.with a drop of coconut extract..an my Isopure Protein mixed up in 12oz Water like im suppose to for my meal..lil less then a cup of instant coffee..put all in blender..my protein is vanilla flavor so it pretty much flavors it for me..but u can add aguave nectar or something like tht in it..I use coconut milk to give it a lil more creamyness.add ice n blend..u can also add coffee extract to give it a stronger coffee flavor if u like..u can use whatever coffee n protein u like......another neat trick for like pudding is take plain yogurt n add ur protein powder in it an u have protein pudding..or if ur sik of water..but knw chrystal light n all tht isnt good for u..just add a lil protein powder to ya water bottle to give it some flavor..they say its better then any drink mix on the go.u get ur Vitamins

Has anyone been able to have/tolerate regular coffee espresso shots after surgery? Is it not allowed by most surgeons? My doctor just says not to have it the week before and three weeks after, then as tolerated.

Yes u can still have it! Its just wether u can stomach it or not..an since ur stomach is smaller u prob have to be careful with caffine intake because could make u jittery n all..the amount u could consume before prob isnt the same now..so start. Off small lol