Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody taking potassium? I had to go to ER yesterday cause i was so weak and dizzy and my potassium was very low so guess ill be taking it from now on

Sent from my iPhone using VST

hrm... I've had weak/dizzy spells, but my bloodwork to check it didn't include a K test. Interesting! I wonder if that could be adding to it for me! I'm certainly not getting the amounts of K that I did before surgery.

Are you also dehydrated? Before surgery I was dehydrated, and had really low potassium levels. I was put on a potassium pill up until surgery, and then they took me off of it. I am still dehydrated (I'm almost 6 weeks out) but I have no clue about my potassium levels because I haven't had labs drawn, and won't for another two months! I didn't have dizziness as a symptom, but I had the achy muscles, and my legs felt like they weighed 100 lbs a piece. To the point that I couldn't, and still can't go up stairs without them giving out on me. I get so aggravated and upset because I've lost so much weight, and I still don't feel very good.

I get weak / dizzy every time I get up fast. It is a little "trip" if you know what I mean. It may be mineral related, but I think it is blood pressure (100 / 60) or pulse (41) related. Does not bother me too much.

I drink Zico coconut Water, 16 oz, a couple of times a week. Yes, it has about 90 calories and 22 carbs for 16 ounces, but it contains 470 mg of potassium. Drink it cold.

Katie, have you had your heart checked??? Do your legs feel like you worked out and they are all wiggley-feely?

I drink Zico coconut water' date=' 16 oz, a couple of times a week. Yes, it has about 90 calories and 22 carbs for 16 ounces, but it contains 470 mg of potassium. Drink it cold.[/quote']

Good idea! I have also been drinking coconut Water in the last week after my workouts. It is vita coco and also has same nutritional stats (90 calories , 22 g carb and 940 mg potassium). Carbs are from natural sugars - less then 1%. 100% juice. I eat a banana with Peanut Butter on it every day before training. So now you have two good potassium choices!! Dr oz endorsed too!

Are you also dehydrated? Before surgery I was dehydrated' date=' and had really low potassium levels. I was put on a potassium pill up until surgery, and then they took me off of it. I am still dehydrated (I'm almost 6 weeks out) but I have no clue about my potassium levels because I haven't had labs drawn, and won't for another two months! I didn't have dizziness as a symptom, but I had the achy muscles, and my legs felt like they weighed 100 lbs a piece. To the point that I couldn't, and still can't go up stairs without them giving out on me. I get so aggravated and upset because I've lost so much weight, and I still don't feel very good.[/quote']

They said i wasnt dehydrated. You might want to get your potassium checked cause thats how i felt and still feel

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I've had the same issue before. At one point, Dr wanted to hospitalize me for IV infusion but talked my way out. Had to use the liquid potassium (yuck!!!) to get it back up since couldn't get down the horse pills they prescribed first. It's can be extremely serious as your heart can go into cardiac arrest! Eat bananas if you can and take potassim

I take one potassium pill everyday and my levels are perfect according to my blood work.

Let me tell ya, having to get potassium thru your IV BURNS like crazy! pills didn't bring it up enough after surgery, so thur the IV it came

I also take potassium every evening, just to be safe - nothing worse than getting a muscle cramp!

Do others know if one banana a day is enough potassium? I would think so, but want to hear from others on it.

Do others know if one banana a day is enough potassium? I would think so' date=' but want to hear from others on it.[/quote']

It depends on your level of deficiency... But I would say no. You can also cause some serious damage by taking too much so be careful, what is the doc saying?