Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Willpower.... Do You Have It?

On a scale 1 to 10 where 1 is not at all and 10 is loads of it. How much willpower do you think you have? and how has it effected your journey through the weightloss surgery?

Sometimes I feel like I don't have enough will power and that scares me going into this surgery. I want to be successful obviously but I don't know how to push myself out of my comfort zone, or maybe i'm just afraid too (in regards to exercising). I avoid it because it does bring me outside my comfort zone.

Next week I have my first NUT appointment.

Overall, I probably have about a 7. Some days I am a 10, and some days I think I'm about a minus 5000... okay, really about a 3. Seriously, it's normal to have ups and downs - if you're highly stressed or exhausted or ill willpower becomes more difficult to maintain. Under normal circumstances, I can keep myself on track, but there are days where I ditch going to the gym or decide that I *am* going to eat a few spoons of seriously good ice cream - but I have enough willpower to still go out and have a walk or honestly only eat about a 1/4 cup of the ice cream. Other days I pull my big girl panties up tight and tough it out.

We're human. We won't be perfect. There's every chance we will make not-wise choices occasionally. The more important thing is acknowledging and owning the mistake, picking yourself up and getting back on track. Don't let guilt send you into a downward spiral. Don't let it get out of control and send you into a cheating binge. One small cheat is not a failure - it's a setback that is usually easily dealt with.

I am 2. But surgery has helped me a lot. Just go for it.

None of us had the willpower of a 10 before surgery or we wouldn't be getting the surgery. After surgery I think the the first couple of weeks are the toughest but once you start to feel better and start to see results I think it changes from having the willpower not to eat crap to wanting to eat better because you're feeling good about yourself.

I don't think willpower is the missing piece. Most of us have showed remarkable willpower in most areas of our lives. There is more going on with food. Also, willpower is a finite resource. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_depletion