Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am almost three months post sleeve and cannot stop eating too fast. Is it just a matter of self discipline?? I have always been a fast eater and can't shake the 'habit'. I am so happy to finally have 'real food', that I just gobble it down. The result, of course, is that I throw up almost every single day. Any tips or tricks out there??

Set your fork down in between bites and count how many times you chew. Sounds weird but I had to do it.

I am 4 weeks post op and I am on soft foods. I am also experiencing this vomiting up after eating. It feels as if I'm stuck w/ food in center of Sternum so result Is dry heave which leads to vomiting. Help me with info on this as well!! Is this normal? Can it stretch our sleeve from throwing up?

This is hard for me as well. I am 7 weeks post-op and found it hard to "step up" to solid food so now I eat too fast and don't stop in time. It's horrible! I have to FOCUS on my meal or I get distracted and forget to slow down or just STOP. This new eating takes practice.

Eating slow is one of the hardest things for me. You have to change your whole way of eating. I'm not finding it fun at all. I suppose it is a self-discipline issue. So far I haven't managed to discipline myself at all about this issue.

I'm trying but it sure is hard. Oh - and I take bigger bites than I should as well.

For me, distraction works. If I am home alone, I get on my laptop and surf. It forces me to put my fork down and then I get interested in something and have to remember to take a bite.

Whatever works. :-)

I'm worried about this too. I have two young kids and I have to scarf food down because I just simply don't have the time to sit and eat!

I am almost three months post sleeve and cannot stop eating too fast. Is it just a matter of self discipline?? I have always been a fast eater and can't shake the 'habit'. I am so happy to finally have 'real food'' date=' that I just gobble it down. The result, of course, is that I throw up almost every single day. Any tips or tricks out there??[/quote']

I am 15 months out, im past goal. I could never eat as slow as dr and nut said to. I fill , my baby bowl with 3 to 4 oz of food and its gone with in 5 min. Then reove myself from the food. When at resyurants o would give my plate to my bf or hand to the server. Its only ehen I ate over 3 to 4 oz that I vomit and I only vomitef 2 times.

For me using 3 to 4 oz bowls helps , me to stay within , my portion.

But now since I am over a yr out I neen grtyong nausea, but have found out its from low blood pressure, which is caused from nerve damage because I was diabetic.

Life is so good now, I suffer from low blood sugar and low blood pressure and feel sick all the time, and I cant eat enouhh calories for my active life style bit I look great in size 2, 4 pants

Yes, it is a change that is not coming easy. Surgery does not change an eating disorder. I find myself eager to eat foods now allowed, and eating too fast and taking too big a bite. I was a binge eater and am afraid that will return. So I guess if I can't get a handle on it through self-discipline and some tips mentioned above, I may have to see a counselor to find out why I want to sabotage myself after making this life-changing decision for surgery.

I think that is a good idea....to take a very little bit and go to another room and sit. When it's gone, it's gone. I may have to set an alarm on my phone when I can get up and get another ounce or two. Sounds extreme but this is so vital to my success I have to try something 'drastic'. Decades of bad habits are not going to be cured by surgery. And I probably should keep my favorite foods out of the house until I am in more control.......?

We have to make changes, I dont have bad foods in my house. If I have a craving, I love ice cream, I go to yogurt place n get a child size eith nuts on the side.

Some thing I did was watch the clock for eating time. If I felt down cause I cant eat much I tell myself I get to eat every 2 hrs. So sticking to my 2 to 3 oz in the beging made it easier for me

I no longer feel deprived and I feel more satisfied with healthy food choices

Finding what works for you is half the battle

Good luck

I have had the same problem I am 10 days post op and have never felt restriction yet. Still struggling with it but I have found that placing my food, whatever it is is a 3 or 4 oz container and using a baby spoon has really helped. I also noticed that if I'm on the computer its much easier because I get distracted reading threads, emails, etc in between bites. One major thing I've learned is that I really thought I was prepared for this surgery. I've been lurking in the background for years studying, researching, watching, waiting, wishing but in all reality no matter how much you think you've learned and how prepared you think you are - each day is a journey each day I learn something new about myself and my eating habits, some good, some bad. Talk about a reality check!

Oh and one more thing...I've noticed if I'm watching TV...I eat mindlessly. I'm not concentrating on each bite like I should be...that the worst for me.

Oh dear I just ate some mackerel really fast totally forgot I'd had surgery 6 weeks ago. I'm now sat here with stomach ache and really weird noises coming from my stomach. What a stupid mistake. I've never thrown up yet but that might be about to change