Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deciding on surgery knowing I will be a slow loser - help!

So I'm 235 and my weight seems to always just stay close to the same no matter what I do. Major diet attempts lose me maybe 3 pounds. Tried South Beach 2x and in the first two week "boot camp" they say you can expect to loose 8-13 pounds-- I lost 3.

My metabolism is shot from a lifetime of dieting so I just know I will be a frustrated slow loser. I have my surgeon appt. in 3 days, and need to commit lots of $ and get a surgery date.

I'm just second guessing my need for the surgery, thinking it will just be a very frustrations experience based on my other attempts to loose weight. I was totally committed, but after reading forums for months, I am starting to waffle. I really am not sure if this surgery will do what I'm hoping, and I have had so many times where I have REALLY tried, only to lose just a few pounds.

Any advice? I'm feeling kind of desperate. Thanks.

I knew going in that I would be a slow loser too. I also have hurt my metabolism with years of dieting, and I am also hypothyroid secondary to a pituitary adenoma. I gained 3 lbs doing the cabbage Soup diet! LOL. You get the idea. I decided on VSG bc even though the GB was tempting due to the malabsorption aspect, in the end, I didn't feel it's good for your body to have malabsorption. I wanted to do this the healthy way.

During my 6-month preop diet, I lost about 16 pounds in 6 months. Now I have lost about 35 pounds in 13 weeks. So I have lost twice as much weight twice as quickly. I'll take it.

Now if you do this, just don't compare yourself to people who are losing 80 to 100 pounds in 3 months. Or to those who have lost maybe 50 but seem to be eating junk food and not exercising when you are staying true to plan and exercising. It's really difficult to compare but you need to put it in the context of what good progress is for you and for your own body. And eventually, the cumulative effect means that it WILL come off and that you won't regain, as long as you stay true to plan.

Good luck!

i too was a slow looser but i think my problem really was I was eating too much, I had surgery in Sept 2012 and I have lost 104 lbs so far.. which is incredible for me...... now my weight loss has come to a stop right now but I am working out and gaining muscle ... so you never know how you body is going to react to this..... Good luck and remember with such limted calories there is no way that you cant loose !!

For me, it was a matter of comparing the pros and cons...I was probably a lot more reluctant than the average obese person considering WLS, because of some traumatic previous non-WLS surgery experiences...I am also an emotional eater and know the sleeve is only a tool and not the end-all solution...my age (I'm 51) and the seriousness of my comorbidities (especially my type 2 diabetes which has been out of control) finally led me to make the decision (I was sleeved a week ago)...I honestly cannot now--being only a week out--tell you whether I am pleased with my decision, but I knew it was the right one for me at the time...the only true advice I can give you is to continue to do the research and consider options until you feel reasonably sure and confident

That's the problem, Tiger. I don't have any co-morbidities YET. But I'm 49 and have never been able to lose more than 11 pounds on any diet because the weight just doesn't seem to MOVE. I was a size 20 for like 8 years, before slowly inching into 22 jeans about a year ago. The weight changes just don't seem to come.

But as you said, I am not foolish enough to think the other health issues won't happen eventually. I totally buy into the fact that doing this now will make my quality of life better, have more energy, and be healthier...... I just know that since I'm fighting age, stuck metabolism, menopause, and a frustrating dieting history, it's going to be a frustrating experience.

I can totally relate to you. I am the same way. I always felt my body was fighting me. I knew I would be a slow loser. But I went ahead with the surgery because a slow loss is better than no loss at all. That really motivated me to get a running start. Lost 45lbs before surgery. All you can do is follow the plan and the weight will come off.

Hey there,

I understand how you feel. My stats are (were) very similar to yours. I would diet every January without fail, and would lose 30 pounds. Every year by Dec I was back where I was if not more. Highest was 241 but always around 220-230. My metabolism was not good either from all the yoyo dieting. I decided I couldn't do it anymore and looked into the band but after researching, knew the sleeve was right for me.

Fast forward a couple of months and I'm ready for surgery. I was self pay and stayed stateside so big $$$$ $12,200 to be exact. I knew if I was going to do this I had to own it and understand it's not a magic bullet, that it would take time. I have always been a slow loser and fast gainer. I knew I would have to be patient.

I will be 10 weeks post op on Wednesday. I can honestly say, this was the best thing I could have done for my health the only thing I regret is not doing it sooner. My transformation thus far has been amazing. I am 52 and 5'2" and started my pre op at 220. Today I weighed in at 177. That is somewhat slow compared to other sleevers but it is by no means slow at all! I have lost, stalled and stayed at the same weight for several weeks but my body was shedding inches when that happened. Stalls will happen. Your body needs time to catch up so I just waited it out and sure enough, the scale has moved again.

The bottom line is this: if it is working for me, I know it will work for you. I have zero regrets and I don't miss my old way of eating, mostly because I can see every day what this is doing for me. Last week I got blood work back and I was stunned. Not only is my weight and more inches coming off but my labs are great! My blood pressure is perfectly normal as is my cholesterol (down over 35 points) and triglycerides and everything else are normal as well. Needless to say, I feel healthy from the inside out!

I just saw a lot of myself in your post and want you to know it can and WILL work for you if you work for it. I can eat most anything at this point, just not a lot. I do keep my diet healthy because it feels better. My NUT does not have me on low carb. My meals are balanced. I focus on Protein first and veggies second and carbs last. I did have a few fries last week when hubby and I went out. He was hankering for a burger so we went out and shared a great burger. I just took the bun off and enjoyed it along with a few fries. They were good but not as good as I remembered. I added a few slices of Tomato and had a healthy lunch while still feel like I was splurging a bit. Life is good that way now. I am not deprived and life is my new normal but still enjoy life. Hubby and I love wine. I have a glass of wine every Friday and Saturday and enjoy every drop of he glass. ( I was OK'd by the surgeon and NUT after 6 weeks) I just have to account for it.

Good luck with your decision, I'm sure you will make the right one for you. You are welcome to PM me if you have questions. :)

Thank you so much, newat52! I'm overwhelmed that you took so much time to put together a response for me, we do sound similar. You have given me much encouragement in a time of need, thanks so much. I need to digest all this and prepare my questions for the surgeon appt. on Thursday, then I may take you up on the PM.

I'm 66 now and had my surgery in November. Tomorrow is my 6 months checkup and I know I have lost over 60 pounds from the 3 weeks before surgery consultation. I paid for mine and have gone from a 1-2x to size 16P and Sat. I walked a 5K. Have never walked that far!!! You can PM me too! Carol

My insurance covered the surgery, so my financial commitment has been minimal compared to some others that I've seen out there. But I can definitely understand being reluctant when so much of your hard earned cash is on the line.

I had surgery 11 days ago and have lost 20lbs.

I also lost more than 50 on the pre-op diet.

I started at a higher weight, and very high weight folks like me tend to lose more quickly - but remember that we have a longer road to travel. Ultimately, slow and steady is the best way to do it to reduce sagging skin as much as possible. I'm just happy to get the weight off, no matter how fast or slow it happens.

Given the restriction in eating, I don't think it's likely that you won't lose weight. If your fear is that it will happen too slowly, then try to learn some patience. It's not a race. As nice as it would be to drop all our extra weight overnight, it's just not going to happen that way. It took you years to gain it, so if it takes you over a year to lose it, that's still incredibly fast compared to how it went on!

I chose the sleeve because I wanted to reduce my chances of regaining. I did a pre-op diet that mimicked what my post-op diet would be like (but ate more of it pre-op) so that I'd be prepared. Now I'm 11 days out, getting in 800 cals per day and 90g of Protein, in under 30g carbs for the day. I don't know that the weight will keep sliding off this easily (I know a lot several pounds that I lost were simply the surgical fluids/swelling), but I'm already happy with my decision. I'm happily looking forward to what the future holds!

Thank you so much, newat52! I'm overwhelmed that you took so much time to put together a response for me, we do sound similar. You have given me much encouragement in a time of need, thanks so much. I need to digest all this and prepare my questions for the surgeon appt. on Thursday, then I may take you up on the PM.

Anytime! Glad I could be a bit of help. This is not a decision to take lightly so any help we get! You can PM me anytime. :)

newat52, I thank you as well, even though your response was for takingbackcontrol...I am 5'2" as well but only set my goal for now as 150, because I've got a lot more to lose than you did and I wanted to set a realistic goal for myself...I am curious--at 10 weeks out, what is a typical day of eating for you?

newat52, I thank you as well, even though your response was for takingbackcontrol...I am 5'2" as well but only set my goal for now as 150, because I've got a lot more to lose than you did and I wanted to set a realistic goal for myself...I am curious--at 10 weeks out, what is a typical day of eating for you?

Hi, It always helps to have someone like you to see what could be. My original goal was 120 but my NUT suggested that 130-135 might be better. She suggested I may not like how I look at that weight. I'll get to the 130 and see how I feel. Honestly, I I feel great at 140, I would be thrilled there too.

My usual day starts out with a Protein shake. I have actually been having these for a long time. I take half of a small banana, 3 frozen strawberries or small hand full of frozen blueberries and 6 oz of skim milk with a scoop of vanilla protien powder. Its about 200 calories and takes me about an hour to sip through. If I don't do fruit I throw my leftover coffee and a scoop of chocolate Protein Powder with a few ice cubes and nice little mocha is the result.

lunch is usually about 2-3 oz of Protein. Fish, deli meat or chicken with a side of green Beans or a couple of strawberries or canned spinach. Some days I can eat most of the protein and sometimes I get full before. That is about 150 or so calories. Sometimes I have an afternoon snack of string cheese, cottage cheese or dry roasted edamame for about 100 calories give or take. dinner is a similar offering as lunch. If I want something at night It is usually a premier Protein Shake (all or part) or some protein spiked pudding, if I need or want some more protein. Try for about 800 per day, and at least 70 grams of protein.

Weekends are a bit different. My hubby travels every week so when he is home, I eat a few more things with him. Weekends might be a burger on the grill, beef or turkey, I eat it of course without the bun but I do put the "fixins on it with some grilled veggies. Squash and zuccuni. Sunday is our usual steak on the grill day but have not had that yet. Will wait another month or so for that.

I drink wine every Friday and Saturday. 1-2 glasses. Red only and the best we can get. We love to sit on our patio and share a nice bottle. I account for it though.

I have been off all dietary restrictions since the end of 6 weeks. Was on liquids for the first 3, not even pudding or Jello. That was rough but followed it to the T. I have not had any adverse reactions to anything thus far. I have tried about everything except any type of bread, Pasta or crackers, chips and sweets. I guess the pre op diet got rid of all the carb cravings so I just have not had a desire for them. I did have a few fries last week but they were good but it wasn't anything special.

I feel normal again. Not the pre surgery normal but a new "in control normal." I feel like I eat to live, not live to eat. I enjoy my food and do creative things with it Last week I roasted a whole chicken in the crockpot and cooked i overnight. OMG! It was so tender. Fell apart. I let it cool and deboned it and have so much meat. It can be used all week. I actually made an awesome chicken chilli. It was so good, made a big batch so put it in small containers and froze it. My family loves it and its so stinking healthy too!

How far post op are you?

Takingbackcontrol, thanks for starting this post. You, as well as many of you here, sound so much like me. I haven't had surgery yet, just in the deciding mode. I have contemplated this for over a year, gone through classes, etc. I am 56 and weigh 235. I know that I will be a slow loser too. I am also self pay. I just keeping thinking, why can't I just lose 60 lbs on my own and save 12K, cause I really can't afford it. Or find a job that has insurance to pay for it. These things keep going through my mind. Just scary. Or are these just excuses not to face my food addiction?

thanks, newat52...I am just over a week out--still on liquids for another week