Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did my revision & I am home , but I am disappointed & worried

I did my revision from band to sleeve in one surgery 2 days ago. When the doctor came to see me he said he could only cut 60 percent of my stomach because it was a mess. Anyone have a big sleeve ? We're you able to lose weight ? I thought they move around 80 percent of your stomach not 60 percent.

Really worried that I went to all this trouble & not get results . I feel that my doctor

Should have told me before that this may happen .

So sorry to hear this. I had a revision also and if I am correct the part that they remove is barely affected by the band. Did he say what he meant by "a mess"? I would definitely get proper clarificiation, sounds to me for some reason he went very conservative, I would want to know why. For me my surgeon removed 85% and I have been super successful.

I am sure that you will really have to watch what and how much you eat to get your weight off. You might consider going to another doctor(say Mexico) in time, to get your stomach made smaller.

I wish you the best

This battle is 60% mental--- had he told you he took 85% and it was 60 you'd be over joyed and successful !! Don't psyche your self into failure ! You have 60% less to fill, stretch than you did 2 days ago ! Your success is up to you. Measure, stay in limits and you'll be fine. WLS is a tool, not the miracle or holy grail. Put your mind to success and not the current I got robbed and you can do this !!!

There are bypass patients who do not lose weight! They have less than 60%!! Weight loss is breaking a food addiction--- it is mental-- you got a fresh go at this !!! You can do it !!

I did my revision from band to sleeve in one surgery 2 days ago. When the doctor came to see me he said he could only cut 60 percent of my stomach because it was a mess. Anyone have a big sleeve ? We're you able to lose weight ? I thought they move around 80 percent of your stomach not 60 percent.

Really worried that I went to all this trouble & not get results . I feel that my doctor

Should have told me before that this may happen .

Your doctor should have removed your band, let you heal and then go in to perform the sleeve.

Your stomach was so swollen and scarred thats why he could only remove 60%... if you wait 3 months after band removal, your stomach has a chance to "calm" down a bit.

Worse case, talk to another surgeon (I recommend in the US, close to home) to "re-sleeve"

A mess? I would want t know why it was a mess and why he proceeded to do a revision without proper healing first. Not all revisions can be done in one surgery. Ask more questions.

And of course you can succeed with 60% removal. Sleevers are a variety of sizes. Mind over matter.. Be successful!

Should have removed the band first...... wait three month......get another revision later.......get another surgeon to do another sleeve surgery.......should have let it heal first.......

Wow, I am so amazed by how many sleevers become instant Doctors. And even more fantastic is their ability to diagnose someones condition or to find fault with a Surgeon's decisions, ...... sight unseen.

Encourage people, comfort them, but don't play doctor here. There is absolutely no way for any of you to know what the "Surgeon's" reason was for why he did what he did. But I'll bet he knew what was best for "His" patient, better than a bunch of random guessing.

And to Halloul, I realize you are looking for comfort and answers, but you really need to talk to your Surgeon about the details of your surgery and if that is not possible or does not provide you with adequate answers, then consult another "Doctor". Don't look for medical answers to your specific condition on a Forum.

And by all means follow the advice where offered to make the best of your procedure and gain a positive outcome. But for specific medical answers or solutions, consult the professionals. Good luck.

Wow, I am so amazed by how many sleevers become instant Doctors. And even more fantastic is their ability to diagnose someones condition sight unseen. Encourage people, don't play doctor here. There is absolutely no way for any of you to know what the "Surgeon's" reason was for why he did what he did. But I'll bet he knew what was best for His patient better than a bunch of random guessing.

I did encourage.. I sincerely believe, one can be successful, regardless of the size of the new stomach. None of us truly know our sleeve size.. So we work it.

I didn't play dr.. But I did opine on it.

And NO.. Drs don't always do what's best.. They are human and they made bad choices, too

Thank you all for replying ,I really appreciate it .

when my doctor came to check on me after sugery, he said my stomach was shaped & curved like a shrimp & I was bleeding every time he was working on it .He said my tummy was so hard & thick to work on .i asked him would

I have gotten a better sleeve if we did 2 surgeries & gave myself time to heal. His answer was no & why put yourself under anesthesia twice . He thinks i have a good sleeve even if he removed 60 percent only . Maybe I am being paranoid about having a big sleeve . I watched my surgery today on video ,they gave my a cd that documented the whole operation . I saw that their was lot of scar tissues around

The band & that I was bleeding & it looked like a big sleeve compared to the videos I saw on u tube . I have appointment with my doctor in 2 days & I will tell him all my worries . I am on liquids now & I am drinking with ease. Time will tell if I have good restriction . Maybe this is all in my mind like our friend ( sleeve convert ) answered . Maybe if he told me we moved 80 percent I would have been happy. I pray that my big sleeve will help me get to goal . I am self pay & don't want to pay for another surgery , this is it for me .

My surgeon did remove 60% of my stomach, and 6 weeks out, I've already lost almost 50 lbs. Just do your diet right, along with exercise, and you'll be fine..

My Doctor mentioned that due converting from a lapband that my stomach would not be as small as a normal persons surgery. I'm worried because I have no resistance. I can drink all my shakes and Water with no problem. I have no issue with yogurt or popsicles. Does that mean it failed or will I not know until I have solids.

Ok...This is where you are at. Make the best of it. I honestly believe that behavior is half the battle anyway. I have a relatively large sleeve too and done great.

I have understood from Day One of my last year's exploration and education into the VSG (mostly thanks to sleevers in online forums like this one) that long-time success with the VSG appears to a whole lot more about re-education, re-habituation, for many people psychological counseling support, and careful adherence to and collaboration with your bariatric surgical team.

My surgeon told me that the people who lose all the weight they want to lose and never gain it back are those people who never miss an appointment - weekly, monthly quarterly, annually for the rest of their lies. They take advantage of all the center's resources -- support groups, exercise consultants, the surgeon, everything!

You can be in for a penny or in for a pound. Either way, you're IN now. And you'll reap the benefits of the investment you decide to make. Will it be a penny or a pound?