Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid I will still want to snack/eat unhealthy!

I am going to be having surgery in the next month or so. Although I realize the sleeve is just a tool, I am so very afraid I will fail at it because I obviously need the surgery because I haven't been able to control this addiction on my own. Also, I had a lap band many years ago that failed, slipped, and had to be taken out. So I feel that I already had one "failure." I would like to think I am going into this surgery prepared and ready for change, but how do we not slip back into bad habits? Will it just happen with a lot of work? Does the sleeve take over the CRAVINGS? Cravings are my downfall, not true hunger. Any advice would be appreciated. I really, really want to be successful at this. I am tired of battling this battle and losing. I want to win!

I am still new to my sleeve (2 weeks ago as of this Monday) I think it's working for me in 2 ways. #1 I'm not hungry, and the few times I thought I have been turned out to be stomach acid. #2 I can't eat much. Unlike the band from what I've heard, that can slip/loosen etc. the sleeve is permanent and very restrictive. I'm full after 1/2 cup. Eating now is something I have to remind myself to do. 14 pounds post op in 13 days for me, it's been easy and I have no regrets so far. Wishing you the same!!!

The sleeve is going to make it much easier to make good food choices. For the first 2 months I really didnt have any appetite. Its slowly coming back but easily managed if I stay away from bad carbs. If I eat a simple carb its makes me crave more carbs. If I eat complex carbs like yams or oatmeal I don't get the cravings.

If you stick to Proteins and complex carbs you should be able to curb your head hunger... I know I can.

For me at 8.75 months out it is very possible to eat the wrong foods. It is not stomach hunger but I have now learned why I eat when I shouldn't be. Now I am at my goal weight so if 90-95% of the time I eat healthy I do have treats or cheat foods if you like.

This is definitely a journey and changes month to month.

My best advise is to stick with the low calorie/low carb diet during the weight loss phase; this worked extremely well for me. You can do this, set your mind to being a success and you will!!