Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need guidance. VSG to DS ?

I am not pushing the OP to decide one way or the other but I just want to make sure that they have the info they need about the DS. Please do your research. And let's not propagate medical fear-mongering.

"The longitudinal gastrectomy with duodenal switch is a safe and effective primary procedure for the treatment of morbid obesity. It has the advantage of allowing acceptable alimentation with a minimum of side effects while producing and maintaining significant weight loss. These results are achieved without developing significant dietary restrictions or clinical metabolic or nutritional complications."

(From the conclusion of the following study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360120/)

I won't spend any more money on surgeries if I fail VSG. Those funds will go to intense psychotherapy to address my eating disorder that allowed me to eat around the restriction.

My heart goes out to you and I hope you find something that works for you!

I won't spend any more money on surgeries if I fail VSG. Those funds will go to intense psychotherapy to address my eating disorder that allowed me to eat around the restriction.

My heart goes out to you and I hope you find something that works for you!

People do fail to get to a healthy BMI with VSG sometimes, especially if they start with a very high BMI. I know you are only speaking for yourself here, but it doesnt necessarily follow that someone has an eating disorder because they have had regain or not gotten to their goal. Maybe so, but maybe not.

I hope the OP shares more about her journey to her regain. It will help many of us here. I have no judgements. This is a hard journey and we do fall back into old habits of responding to our impulsivity of eating foods that are not healthy for us. I am almost 2 years out and am working on head hunger. I do know that when I eat Protein and cut out the carbs, my restrictions get tighter. So I eat mostly Proteins and veggies. I avoid sugars bc I was diabetic.

People do fail to get to a healthy BMI with VSG sometimes, especially if they start with a very high BMI. I know you are only speaking for yourself here, but it doesnt necessarily follow that someone has an eating disorder because they have had regain or not gotten to their goal. Maybe so, but maybe not.

Yes ma'am - was totally just talking for myself! I'm pretty sure I'll never be in a "normal" BMI, but I'll consider being "overweight" a victory!

I just want everyone to get to a place where food & weight become non-issues so they can live meaningful lives, without regrets.

Could someone tell me what RNY or DS is I'm getting confused by all the abbreviations lol

Could someone tell me what RNY or DS is I'm getting confused by all the abbreviations lol

RNY is roux-en-Y gastric bypass, also just called "bypass"

DS is Duodenal Switch. It is basically gastric sleeve with intestinal rerouting like gastric bypass has.