Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSAIDs does anyone take any?

I'm almost a year out and was told never take them again no ibp or aspirin etc were u all told the same thing?

I have not taken ibp since I was sleeved; however, my surgeon does permit me to take ibp as long as I do so with food or milk.

I was told that as a rule I should stay away from nasids however if I ever really needed one to take the gel form and it should be on very rare occasion. Check with your doctor though for instructions as every doctor has different rules.

I was told to avoid them! and I have a bum knee...

I have heard this issue applies to other weight loss surgery procedures, but NOT the vertical sleeve. I take ibuprofen several times a week for joint inflammation issues, have had my doctors prescribe it for me for these issues and never have a problem with it (but always make sure I have some food in my stomach before taking it). Another thing that makes NSAID's more effective and quicker acting is to take them with caffeine, but not being a coffee drinker, I have taken mine for YEARS with a caffeine tablet (like Vivarin) and have never had a problem with this method.

Most of the things that apply to most other weight loss surgeries (like supplements), don't apply to the VSG procedure...that's the main reason I chose this procedure! There is a lot of mis-information out there (even from the medical community!) about the VSG because so many try to loop it in with all the other weight loss surgeries, but VSG has far less complications and changes in the general function of our bodies than other WLS, which again...IS WHY I CHOSE IT!

I am post op month 10 and started taking NSAIDs at month 6. Take everything from ibuprofen to proxen to fletcher patch to etofenac. No issues yet. Surgeon gave me blessing after month 6. They really help with back inflammation issues. I do not take them so much anymore because high dose fish oil (3-6 g a day) has really been helping...ALOT. And I make it a point to hold good posture when sitting, standing, running and working out. This does a lot for me in terms of back discomfort.

I was sleeved 4/22 and although it was in my pre op paperwork my doctor told me they don't see any problems with the sleeve pt taking nsaids so i can have them sparingly.

I had my surgery April 8th and I take Tylenol for pain! No problems! Also NyQuil sleep aid and no problems either!

Thanks!!!! I'll check at my one year check up to see what my doc says

My doctor never prohibited NSAID use, and only recommended using caution and reintroducing tablets/caplets as tolerated during the first 6 months. I have taken tons of NSAIDs since then, and other medicines for that matter, and have not had any problems with it and my sleeve in the 3 years since my surgery. I avoid aspirin due to other medicial conditions, but at times I take up to 4 ibuprofen several times a day if I have a Migraine. Naproxen (Aleeve) and acetaminophen (Tylenol) have been fine too.

I have arthritis in my ankle, and I take naproxin (an NSAID). Even before surgery, this medication can cause stomach ulcers if taken too much.

I take it with food, and I don't take it daily although my prescription recommends taking as often as twice a day.

My surgeon told me I didn't have to worry because of the surgery type. He just told me to be aware of stomach issues and make sure to always eat something with it. I also verified that a Protein drink counted as "eating" something. Basically, what I have to watch for are the same they were before my VSG surgery.

I use them once in a while when Tylenol doesn't seem to cut it but I am not in the habit of it. My doc says no to nsaids too.

I take them daily, have since six weeks post op, no problem. It's one of the main reasons I chose VSG as opposed to RNY.

I have MS and take 800 mg of Ibuprofen every other day as a pre-medication for my interferon injection (disease modifying drug for MS). My surgeon actually steered me to gastric sleeve rather than gastric bypass due to the amount of NSAIDS I am required to take. I take it with food and notice no difference in terms of stomach upset or any side effects - post op as compared to pre-op.

I'd definitely talk to your surgeon and look into the research that is out there. As with any NSAID - take with food, which for me now means at the beginning of my itty bitty dinner, rather than with a few crackers just before bed.