Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No fashion sense...where do I get some?

KellyLynn.. I'm guessing I'd look a little frumpy next to you :P

Ha! maybe - but you with skinny little body would still look cute in your sweatpants and T! :-)

Also don't forget to ask for help from the sales clerks. There is usually a reason they have a job there. They like fashion.

Some of the higher end stores like Nordstrom have personal shoppers. There didn't use to be a charge just call and make an appt and they will help.

OMG ... a topic I actually know a little something about lol!

Thanks for this post! Are you hourglass-, pear-, or apple-shaped? We have the EXACT SAME STATS and I'd never considered Ann Taylor or Ann Taylor Loft for someone my size. I'm built like a Coke bottle (big boobs, wide hips, thick legs, relatively narrow waist), an hourglass/pear hybrid*. Nordstrom's, Macy's, Eloquii (before the closing), and Lane Bryant (mostly for jeans and underwear) are my go-to places.

Afrodite82, I definitely second using the sales assistants or (free I think?) personal shopping services at someplace at Nordstrom's or Macy's. Go at a less busy time of the day and don't worry about buying anything, just let an outsider open you up to clothes possibilities that you hadn't thought of before. Even better and more fun is to have some really stylish girlfriends to help you out!

*I'm African American and one of my biggest worries is losing my booty, er, shape post-surgery :D

Neneh!!

A coke bottle - I never thought of that but that is a perfect description for me too! I love it! I've consistently been a size 16 boarder line 18 from time to time.

Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft don't carry beyond a size 14 in the store but online they go up to 18. They weren't always like this. It was aprox 3 yrs ago they stopped carrying size 16 (and 0's) in the store.

I would suggest making appointments with Department store personal shoppers. Most major department stores have free personal shoppers and you have no obligation to purchase. Tell the shopper what you are interested in and she can pull together some looks. When you meet with the shopper take a friend with a camera so you can memorialize those looks. You can then search for similar options in less expensive stores.

I would suggest making appointments with Department store personal shoppers. Most major department stores have free personal shoppers and you have no obligation to purchase. Tell the shopper what you are interested in and she can pull together some looks. When you meet with the shopper take a friend with a camera so you can memorialize those looks. You can then search for similar options in less expensive stores.

I wouldn't suggest booking an appointment with no intention to buy. While it is a free service, it is expected that you make at least one purchase. Otherwise the stores will start charging for this but the trade off is totally worth it. A quality item that you like plus style and fit tips from someone with a trained eye. There is no expectation that you buy everything. Also if you do take pictures be respectful of the environment. You will have to leave the dressing rooms. The last thing I would want is the lady next to me snapping away photos while I'm dressing and undressing.

I wouldn't suggest booking an appointment with no intention to buy. While it is a free service, it is expected that you make at least one purchase. Otherwise the stores will start charging for this but the trade off is totally worth it. A quality item that you like plus style and fit tips from someone with a trained eye. There is no expectation that you buy everything. Also if you do take pictures be respectful of the environment. You will have to leave the dressing rooms. The last thing I would want is the lady next to me snapping away photos while I'm dressing and undressing.

How would one take a photo of another shopper in a private dressing room? All higher end department stores have private dressing rooms.

Wow thanks all! You guys rock. For some reason I wasn't aware that anyone was answering me...must've messed up my notifications somehow. Anyway some of your responses have me giggling. And others are just very insightful.

Ah, Cowgirljane, heels. *sigh* One day, maybe. I have such a flat foot I think, that I'm not sure if losing weight will really make it easier for me to wear heels. But I wish. I'm 5'2, I can use a little assistance in that area.

LOL Ms. Antiband, I'm currently a jeans and hoodie kinda girl. It's my uniform. We joke that I'm like an anime character...clothes never change.

Hah, neneh, I feel you. I'd really rather like to keep the curve of my booty as well. It's definitely a cultural thing. I'm a pear shape, for sure...I could almost claim hourglass but I'm not very busty. My weight is in my hips, lower belly, thighs, calves, cankles...I genuinely despair over how my legs are going to turn out, I truly do. All the after photos I see are women with mostly sort of apple shapes, so they have these really fab legs. :( Which brings me to Kelly's post..

Speaking of legs...and dresses. I never wear dresses. Ever. Or shorts. Ever. And I really really want to. They look easy and fun and much more comfy than jeans. Not to mention cool. Every Summer I'm still essentially wearing what I wear in the fall minus the jacket. I'd love to dress more femininely; I guess I could at least try maxi dresses and those flowy, ankle length skirts.

Thank you for the feedback, and humor, everyone :)

Laura, whereabouts do you live? You mentioned boutique shopping (just typing that makes me nervous, I've never dreamed of going into a boutique). I saw a lot of shops like that when I lived in Atlanta. Now I'm in Houston and I haven't noticed any. Do they carry a variety of sizes at the boutiques in your area? Besides XXS, XS and S?

sn: I hope you had a good camping trip!

I love Target for cheaper on trend clothes it is my fave ! For plus sized clothes I was a mostly Torrid Girl they still have some tops I could wear bc of my big boobs I buy a 0 which is a 12? it is the smallest they carry.

Alloy.com is a site that has a shopping section with cute inexpensive stuff as well as Gojane.com I don't know if you like online shopping.I also shop at a secondhand store called Clothes Mentor that has good stuff they have stores in different states too I believe.

Thanks for this post! Are you hourglass-' date=' pear-, or apple-shaped? We have the EXACT SAME STATS and I'd never considered Ann Taylor or Ann Taylor Loft for someone my size. I'm built like a Coke bottle (big boobs, wide hips, thick legs, relatively narrow waist), an hourglass/pear hybrid*. Nordstrom's, Macy's, Eloquii (before the closing), and Lane Bryant (mostly for jeans and underwear) are my go-to places.

Afrodite82, I definitely second using the sales assistants or (free I think?) personal shopping services at someplace at Nordstrom's or Macy's. Go at a less busy time of the day and don't worry about buying anything, just let an outsider open you up to clothes possibilities that you hadn't thought of before. Even better and more fun is to have some really stylish girlfriends to help you out!

*I'm African American and one of my biggest worries is losing my booty, er, shape post-surgery :D[/quote']

I am short with hour glassish body type :) I bought an Ann Taylor dress second hand and it was way cuter than I thought it was going to be :)

*after editing twice I think it's all there lol luv this phone .

Laura' date=' whereabouts do you live? You mentioned boutique shopping (just typing that makes me nervous, I've never dreamed of going into a boutique). I saw a lot of shops like that when I lived in Atlanta. Now I'm in Houston and I haven't noticed any. Do they carry a variety of sizes at the boutiques in your area? Besides XXS, XS and S?

sn: I hope you had a good camping trip![/quote']

I live in Los Gatos California, but the boutiques downtown here can be... Umm... Stuck up? Snobby? Hehehe... Some are good though.,

I like going to Santa Cruz and checking out the downtown shops there.. I like looking for locally made or unique imported things. And yes they make bigger sized clothes :P I like finding things that are different. I like layering "light" materials.

MATERIALS! That is the most important thing if you ask me!

My daughter laughs when we shop because I touch everything as I walk by... if it doesn't

"Feel" good I do not want it on me no matter how cute the style might look.

So even when in regular stores like urban outfitters or gap.. Look for at what it's made out of :) some of my favorite tops are plain light weight cotton. As I'm typing this I am starting to think I am a weirdo and maybe not the right person to listen to :P

Oh and I hate my legs too! I asked my daughter the other day "do you see me as a fat person still?" She said "no you look normal except for your legs" gotta love skinny 17 year olds :D

Camping was fun! I hiked! I got sunburned! And I ate a s'more

I am short with hour glassish body type :) I bought an Ann Taylor dress second hand and it was way cuter than I thought it was going to be :)

*after editing twice I think it's all there lol luv this phone .

I must say I love Ann Taylor it is a go to when I need something classic. the cut of the clothes there are perfect! And if I'm not mistaken the typically go up to a size 16

I must say I love Ann Taylor it is a go to when I need something classic. the cut of the clothes there are perfect! And if I'm not mistaken the typically go up to a size 16

They actually go all the way to 18. Online only. Size 14 is the highest they stock in store.

Ah, Cowgirljane, heels. *sigh* One day, maybe. I have such a flat foot I think, that I'm not sure if losing weight will really make it easier for me to wear heels. But I wish. I'm 5'2, I can use a little assistance in that area.

Hah, neneh, I feel you. I'd really rather like to keep the curve of my booty as well. It's definitely a cultural thing. I'm a pear shape, for sure...I could almost claim hourglass but I'm not very busty. My weight is in my hips, lower belly, thighs, calves, cankles...I genuinely despair over how my legs are going to turn out, I truly do. All the after photos I see are women with mostly sort of apple shapes, so they have these really fab legs. :( Which brings me to Kelly's post..

Speaking of legs...and dresses. I never wear dresses. Ever. Or shorts. Ever. And I really really want to. They look easy and fun and much more comfy than jeans. Not to mention cool. Every Summer I'm still essentially wearing what I wear in the fall minus the jacket. I'd love to dress more femininely; I guess I could at least try maxi dresses and those flowy, ankle length skirts.

Thank you for the feedback, and humor, everyone :)

Aside from the age difference (your a lot younger than me)- you and I have a lot in common! I'm African-American and just under 5'4". You just described my body type completely- booty and all! Dressing for my shape is critical.

Cuts that are more flatting to our shape include: jackets that end at or slightly above the hips, same with shirts, we can wear longer tunic styles but then you may want them to be a bit looser and balanced out with a skinny jean or fitted pant. Empire waist dresses are our friend. They emphasize the girls up top and skim the hips on bottom. If your waist is well-defined, belted dresses can also work well just pick wider belts and wear then at the natural waist. Belts right above your hips will only emphasize them. I have to be careful with skirts. Fitted (think pencil) or straight cut look better on me for two reasons: I'm short so I need a leg-line that flowy skirts don't offer and if I wore an A-line skirt that goes out from my hips, I look even wider. Calves, sigh. Yeah, I got a lot there too. Heels do help, you can try kitten or low heels and see if they are comfortable. I wear heels a lot because they give my calves a slimmer look but really I just wish they were smaller! I have worn maxi dresses and if I can find a way to cinch them in the back, some have ties in the back, then I can create some shape with them and I look better in them.

I guess the synopsis of all these tips is: Highlight the good stuff, the girls, deemphasize the stuff you don't like hips/thighs, and find clothes that create that curvy silohoutte (sp) for you. :)

PS- Booty is smaller as I've lost weight but definately not gone. I like the shape of it better now in clothes but I do have some sag when looking unclothed. :(