Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No fashion sense...where do I get some?

I've never been into shopping (mostly because it's a painful experience but also because I haven't the patience or tenacity for it). I tend to buy a look right off of the mannequin. But although I am only a couple of weeks out from surgery, I greatly look forward to a time when I might actually enjoy trying on clothes, and be able to wear things that other young women my age can wear. I certainly can appreciate a well put-together look on someone else, and I'm okay with color matching. I fancy myself a more bohemian or edgy/rock kinda girl, based on what I've read in magazines and online. But beyond that, I'm not so sure I have the creativity to put together any truly unique, daring, eye-catching looks.

So here's my question: how do those of us just foraying into fashion, who want to recreate our image, learn HOW to dress well (*cough* on a budget *cough*)? Anyone on this forum who is super artsy and creative and expressive? Anyone who just loves fashion? Know any good websites and books? Please do tell.

I watched the show "what not to wear" for years...LOL

What I learned is how to dress for my body type. I think that is more important then being 100% on trend. I have gotten many compliments on dressing to show off my figure. For example, you cannot hide flaws, but you can emphasize positve attributes! I don't have much of a waist, but create that illusion with clothes very successfully.

I am a big fan of stores like Ross Dress for Less and Marshalls. I get really cute stuff for cheap!

I buy shoes at DSW - I have become a high heel maven. :)

I expect this to be a challenge for me as well. When I was much younger and could shop at Lane Bryant, I also live w my parents back then and had more expendable income to afford whatever I wanted!

My plan is to shop sales as much as possible. NEVER trust what you see in the mirror, take pictures, take a friend, at first I don't want to shop alone! Forever 21 has plus sized clothes that are pretty and inexpensive, so do Old Navy, JC Penney and Kohl's. I'm very high BMI so I actually look forward to buying plus size clothes (sad, huh?). Shop sales and sign up for their email offers. Buying a look off a mannequin isn't a bad idea, either. I know for myself that my wardrobe has been very limited because of my size and lack of options, so I'm sure once I can build it up, it will be easier to coordinate a "look" for myself.

Good luck!

It's interesting, really I haven't done a lot of shopping yet..

And in no way am I a fashionista!

But when I was plus sized I shopped only at kohls! -__-

The first thing I bought when I lost weight was something from the gap.. They have a section there with slightly higher priced boutique like items, it was one cardigan type cashmere sweater that I have added to different bottoms and tops along the way. Oh and I got a pair of skinny ankle length jeans also.

But now that I'm losing more and looking around more, I know I never want to shop at kohls again!!

Well except for socks, undies and such!

I am poking my head into smaller boutique type stores for something more original and of a "better" fabric. I have a thing for natural fabrics, I have a weird sensory issue with synthetic fabrics :(

I'm willing to not have as much if things cost more..

I'm looking forward to see where my style will go.

I'm older than you.. But I like how you describe your style :) id like to think I'm an older version of that!

I will say I went into urban outfitters last week and liked some of the things there for my daughter.

Well.. Let's see. As I glance at myself and see my jeans and hoody.. I'm not the one to answer this question ;)

Well.. Let's see. As I glance at myself and see my jeans and hoody.. I'm not the one to answer this question ;)

Jeans (cotton) good! Hoodie (cotton) good!

Works for me!!!

I ask friends for help. I have a few friends who are much better at styling than me. We either go shopping for girls day or they come over before we go out and they help me put an outfit together. I think it has helped me some b/c they put together things I would never think of...

I buy most of my clothes at charity shops or on eBay. It means I can experiment and have my own look and it's cheap. I get a buzz from the challenge of dressing well and groovily on a pittance.

I am struggling with this as well, I am still seeing my old body when I shop. I favor the longer shirts so my hips are covered and I have not yet ventured into a different style of jeans I guess it's just working through it. I love Kohls lol. I do favor American Eagle. I love the comfort and casual style.

Lol :P

I have nothing against kohl's personally...,

Wait yes I do it's was always to hot in there as a fat person I would always be sweating in there thanks to their environmentally PC stores not wasting electricity on air conditioning :P

Oh sorry :D

Anyway it's a good store but it became a prison to me because that was the ONLY place I went to, to buy something I didn't like because it fit at that point it was just about finding something that fit :(

Side note I'm still at a place of anxiety over shopping in "normal" places I'm scared that things will still not fit.

OMG ... a topic I actually know a little something about lol!

Regardless of my size I have always loved cloths, shoes, handbags, belts, etc. Dressing well has always been an important part of my life (note: funny enough, although dressing well is important to me - I rarely notice how others dress. I care more about attitude - ironic, right?! I think I may be a physiologists dream!). Anyway...

I love love love dresses. They are so easy and require no thinking and little to no preparation. Dresses you buy in the spring can transition into the summer just by adding leggings and cute little booties. Sheath dresses are the best. I have many of these and plan to belt them as I begin to drop weight.

Belts are key! Wrapped around the outside of an oversized cardigan, sweater, button up blouses, with leggings - super cute;

wrapped around sheath dresses to define your new waist line - amazing

Recommended Reading:

- How to Look Expensive, Andrea Pomerantz

- Anything by Nina Garcia

- InStyle Mag (a monthly super market pub) - my favorite!

So, I just realized I'm coming from the angle of a professional working atmosphere. I work for the govt - but even outside of work, with the kids at school functions, etc, I always try to make an effort. Perhaps this was because I was/am overweight. I could never get away with throwing on sweats and a t-shirt and look "cute" so I had to do a little more to look effortless.

Skinny or chubby - it is amazing how feeling good about how you are dressed can make you feel. Some of my favorite stores include:

Ann Taylor Loft

Ann Taylor

White House Black Market

TJ Max

Marshells

Target

Macy's

I am so excited for you (and all of us!) as we move forward on our journey! I wish you the best of luck and I am certain you will be/are already fabulous!

I have a pretty strong personal style. Even at my higher weights, I was a bit of a fashionista. After losing weight, I really hope to pare down. My focus will be quality basic and classics (white cotton tees, button downs, pencil skirts), layering pieces (cardigans, blazers), and then what make it me- girly, feminine touches (sheer blouses, lace, ruffles, floral). Yes, I'm all girl. For you, think about what styles or people you think are well put together and 'borrow' from them. Over time your personal preferences will take over. For example, I generally don't like a lot of prints, especially all over or large scale prints. I learned over time that those were the items I wore the least and were the least versatile in my closet. Now I generally don't buy them, I prefer jewelry as my embellishment instead. My advice, start with basics and then add from there. Have fun and remember as long as your tush is covered that's really all anyone cares about. :-D

KellyLynn.. I'm guessing I'd look a little frumpy next to you :P

Sheesh.. You too, erp! I'm such a candidate for Clinton Kelly

Oh don't worry, Antiband, I have moments. I still love my velvet track suit. Lol!