Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chris Christie had lapband in February

Really, who knew? I was just looking at him in the news yesterday thinking how WLS would benefit him. I am happy to hear he has taken a positive step in getting his weight under control. He will be a good example for the citizens who look up to him in NJ and other places. Politics aside, I like his approach to whatever position he takes, very strong and assertive.

It is interesting to read the last quote in the article "...even if I don't give a crap about myself." Is that not how we all felt (or at least some of us) before getting WLS? I certainly felt this way. We gave up on our self image as a result of our struggle with our health. As the weight comes off, we start to have a much improved self image.

Kind of disappointed that HIPPA did not protect his medical procedure from the public or even from the media in this case. Very tasteless of the media to violate HIPPA. How would you feel if the same thing happened to you? For one, there are grounds for a lawsuit. And two, someone is going to get fined or be brought to justice in some other way. Violating HIPPA is a big deal.

I like him, I was hoping HE would be the one who ran this time, but alas, maybe he'll give it a try next time. It may not have been a medical professional at all. It could be a friend of a friend or a family member who let it slip or 'outted' him. Of course he'd have to tell eventually, when he starts losing vast amounts of weight, people assume you've had WLS or you are sick.

Well you probably wouldn't read about happy lapbanders here. We're Sleevers. Those that were lapbanders converted.

But I bet if you go to the lapband forum you'll find tons of supporters with just as compelling and passionate arguments pro band and anti other forms of WLS.

Same with RNY or DS, theirs is the best choice - sadly, they are wrong!!! LOL I honestly believe sleeve surgery will eventually become the "GOLD STANDARD" for WLS BTW - I do not WANT my stomach back. I didn't want something I could 'reverse'. How crazy is that??!!! I have two friends with a band. One had it removed six weeks later because of some pretty serious problems. The other, lost 60 lbs, never reached goal, never below 200 lbs, and then started re-gaining. Only between 15 - 20 lbs, but still. Oh, the worst thing is she never lost her appetite, she was starving by the time she was discharged from the hospital, that first day!!

The band is an extremely attractive choice for a lot of people. This forum is bias because we all made the obvious choice that we did, but I can tell you from experience that before I had this surgery I had the band. Mostly because I was talked into it by my surgeon at the time, but also because of the relative safety of the operation You can reverse a lapband and be no worse for wear when its all said and done. We CANNOT get our stomachs back.

"no worse for wear". Not sure I can agree with that :-/

My understanding from the discussion here is that his doctor (or someone on the WLS team) who did the procedure discretely at his home (to avoid media coverage) leaked the information to the .media. Chris Christy was forced to confirm the information with the media by doing a press release in order to not be perceived as "hiding" the information from the public. Honestly, I think disclosure of WLS is up to the person having the WLS. Since Christy did not originally disclose the information that was held by the medical institution, there are grounds for a HIPPA violation. Do you agree?

Oh, Ok. actually I think he did a good job hiding it this long.

Oh' date=' Ok. actually I think he did a good job hiding it this long.[/quote']

Yes, I guess so. 40 lb is pretty easy to hide when you are morbidly obese. Even my own family did not notice my loss until 60-80 lb loss.

Yes, I guess so. 40 lb is pretty easy to hide when you are morbidly obese. Even my own family did not notice my loss until 60-80 lb loss.

LOL, I wasn't thinking about the actual weight loss, more so the ability to keep hush hush the surgery. :)

I have not read a VST story yet here where a member has said they love the band. In fact, most VST folks who were banded say they HATE the band passionately. It really makes me think the band is NOT a viable option AT ALL given all the long term complications that have been documented here.

Just remember the selection bias here. No one here is going to have much good to say about their bands because we are here because we had issues with our bands. Mine was fine until things went south, and I am able to recognize that what happened to me doesnt happen to everyone.

"no worse for wear". Not sure I can agree with that :-/

I just meant that unless the band did damage to your stomach your going to be alright. There are other implications of course, but nothing like trying to reverse an RNY and things like that.

Just remember the selection bias here. No one here is going to have much good to say about their bands because we are here because we had issues with our bands. Mine was fine until things went south, and I am able to recognize that what happened to me doesnt happen to everyone.

This post made me giggle, your band was fine until things went south it reminded me of the following story! Recently there were a group of people talking outside a PetSmart, they were having an adoption thing going on. Anyway, someone must have mentioned Pit Bulls and another person said, "Pit Bulls are perfectly fine dogs, until they aren't" LoL

This post made me giggle, your band was fine until things went south it reminded me of the following story! Recently there were a group of people talking outside a PetSmart, they were having an adoption thing going on. Anyway, someone must have mentioned Pit Bulls and another person said, "Pit Bulls are perfectly fine dogs, until they aren't" LoL

Just understand that what happened to me happens to less than 5 percent of band patients, and something could happen with those kind of odds with this surgery as well. No surgery is without its risks. With the lapband you are trading efficacy in the interest of safety and non-commitment.

Just understand that what happened to me happens to less than 5 percent of band patients, and something could happen with those kind of odds with this surgery as well. No surgery is without its risks. With the lapband you are trading efficacy in the interest of safety and non-commitment.

I decided that since it had been almost 30 years since I'd had a tetanus shot, due to how much I dislike needles, I don't think doing the fills would be fun! I don't know what happened to my friend, all I know is six weeks later she was back in having it removed. She wanted the sleeve, but her insurance wouldn't cover it and she didn't want RNY.

I just meant that unless the band did damage to your stomach your going to be alright. There are other implications of course, but nothing like trying to reverse an RNY and things like that.

I don't think I know your story.. And you don't have one on your profile.