Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How important is it really to drink skim milk. Ive always drank 2% so my switch to 1% wasn't a big deal but skim milk tastes nasty to me.

How important is it really to drink skim milk. Ive always drank 2% so my switch to 1% wasn't a big deal but skim milk tastes nasty to me.

Same here, but I've found it's better than just Water in most of the Protein drinks I've tried. 1% tastes a lot better to me.

A big think to watch out for is liquid calories. They are processed faster than food. So you don't stay full as long as you would if you at the same number of calories. The means you aren't getting the same bang for your buck fuel wise. Then the fat... I cut it out of everything I can. So if I have the option of taking it out I'm going to. Its an easy place to eliminate it.

A big think to watch out for is liquid calories. They are processed faster than food. So you don't stay full as long as you would if you at the same number of calories. The means you aren't getting the same bang for your buck fuel wise. Then the fat... I cut it out of everything I can. So if I have the option of taking it out I'm going to. Its an easy place to eliminate it.

Id rather drink no milk than skim milk it honestly makes me gag

Id rather drink no milk than skim milk it honestly makes me gag

Well and that isn't a bad thing. There are a number of nutritionists and scientists that have found that Dairy really isn't all that good for you any way. Its bad fat for the most part of has to be balanced out with base (non acidic) fruits and vegetables to keep it from affecting you in some negative ways. This is from both vegetarian, vegan and meat based perspectives equally.

Since I'm in my pre-op diet still, I have to stick to skim milk, and for the first week after surgery, but if I haven't adjusted by then, I'll be back on 1% as well. The difference in an 8 ounce glass is 20 calories (at least with my local brand). I just have to make sure I'm taking the extra 20 into consideration with my daily intake! I got into the habit of drinking whatever milk I needed for my kids, so for a while that was actually whole milk. Even at one cup a day, whole milk is so high! Lol so the adjustment to 1% was enough for me. Skim tastes like glue water! Lol I don't think I could ever drink it straight, but I've adjusted to it in my Protein Shakes for now at least!

Well and that isn't a bad thing. There are a number of nutritionists and scientists that have found that Dairy really isn't all that good for you any way. Its bad fat for the most part of has to be balanced out with base (non acidic) fruits and vegetables to keep it from affecting you in some negative ways. This is from both vegetarian' date=' vegan and meat based perspectives equally.[/quote']

The milk debate reminds me so much of the egg debate. One year it's good for you, the next it's bad. For now, I'm sticking with my NUT since what she says has been working well so far! Lol will be interesting to see what the research says over the next year or so though!

Skim tastes like glue water!

:lol:

I am SO stealing this!

The milk debate reminds me so much of the egg debate. One year it's good for you' date=' the next it's bad. For now, I'm sticking with my NUT since what she says has been working well so far! Lol will be interesting to see what the research says over the next year or so though![/quote']

I am one of the people that believes milk is not something that should be. A major part of a human . I don't rely on studies to prove or disprove this. I come to this conclusion by asking one simple question.

If you look at the human diet historically everything in our diet is also in other animals diets. This holds true until the last couple hundred years. Coincidentally health problems associated with the foods we eat have multiplied during the same time frame.

Here is the question. Can you name one animal that consumes milk as part of its normal diet beyond infancy?

I am one of the people that believes milk is not something that should be. A major part of a human . I don't rely on studies to prove or disprove this. I come to this conclusion by asking one simple question.

If you look at the human diet historically everything in our diet is also in other animals diets. This holds true until the last couple hundred years. Coincidentally health problems associated with the foods we eat have multiplied during the same time frame.

Here is the question. Can you name one animal that consumes milk as part of its normal diet beyond infancy?

Hmm. Not sure that I want to go with that argument. First, dairy has been a part of adult human diets for much longer than a couple hundred years - perhaps as early as the Neolithic period, but in any case as early as 4 millennia BC in some regions of the world. With that being the case, I would say that the simple factor of dairy being in our diet at the same time as your perceived start of the decline in health is not the direct correlation you are implying. There could be correlation with the type of dairy, or the amount of certain types of dairy, but the simple fact of its presence in the adult human diet doesn't appear to align.

Second, if you make that case then you would basically need to go to a raw diet to be consistent. After all, do you know of another species that regularly mixes ingredients, then cooks the resulting mixture? How about one that cooks at all?

Note that I'm not trying to argue whether dairy is beneficial. There are logical arguments in both camps. I am just pointing out a couple of issues with the particular argument you're making.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

The milk debate reminds me so much of the egg debate. One year it's good for you' date=' the next it's bad. For now, I'm sticking with my NUT since what she says has been working well so far! Lol will be interesting to see what the research says over the next year or so though![/quote']

I'm with you. I intend to continue including dairy in my diet in moderation, just as I have done with eggs. That said, I do track such studies and if there is sufficient evidence that the risks outweigh the benefits it will be time to reconsider!

Fat is an important part of your diet, I say if you have to have milk, go for the 2%, the calorie difference is nominal, it tastes better, and the little bit of extra fat is good for you.

Hmm. Not sure that I want to go with that argument. First' date=' dairy has been a part of adult human diets for much longer than a couple hundred years - perhaps as early as the Neolithic period, but in any case as early as 4 millennia BC in some regions of the world. With that being the case, I would say that the simple factor of dairy being in our diet at the same time as your perceived start of the decline in health is not the direct correlation you are implying. There could be correlation with the type of dairy, or the amount of certain types of dairy, but the simple fact of its presence in the adult human diet doesn't appear to align.

Second, if you make that case then you would basically need to go to a raw diet to be consistent. After all, do you know of another species that regularly mixes ingredients, then cooks the resulting mixture? How about one that cooks at all?

Note that I'm not trying to argue whether dairy is beneficial. There are logical arguments in both camps. I am just pointing out a couple of issues with the particular argument you're making.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST[/quote']

First I would like to point out my first statement. I said, I believe milk shouldn't be a MAJOR part of the human diet. Never once did I say it should be completely removed. I believe in moderation more than anything else. Also never once did I even insinuate that milk is wholly responsible for the deterioration in human health. I do believe the over use of it is part of the puzzle.

As far as your argument regarding mixing of foods, I fail to see how that could have any bearing on this discussion. Whether you eat foods individually or it all gets mixed in to a salad, you are still consuming the same foods.

And yes, a raw diet is superior to a cooked diet. This has been proven over & over. When you cook foods you strip them of their nutrients.

To suggest that I would have to follow a strict raw diet to be consistent is a bit presumptive, I have consistently stated in this forum that I am completely fallible, and any advice I give is based on what I believe to be "best practices", not necessarily what I adhere to 100% of the time.

Yes, I do eat raw most of the time. Yes, I do use milk products in moderation. I even use artificial sweeteners from time to time. If you are looking for 100% consistency from someone, then you are looking in the wrong direction. This man is fallible and has done many things in his life to the detriment of his own health.

First I would like to point out my first statement. I said' date=' I believe milk shouldn't be a MAJOR part of the human diet. Never once did I say it should be completely removed. I believe in moderation more than anything else. Also never once did I even insinuate that milk is wholly responsible for the deterioration in human health. I do believe the over use of it is part of the puzzle.

As far as your argument regarding mixing of foods, I fail to see how that could have any bearing on this discussion. Whether you eat foods individually or it all gets mixed in to a salad, you are still consuming the same foods.

And yes, a raw diet is superior to a cooked diet. This has been proven over & over. When you cook foods you strip them of their nutrients.

To suggest that I would have to follow a strict raw diet to be consistent is a bit presumptive, I have consistently stated in this forum that I am completely fallible, and any advice I give is based on what I believe to be "best practices", not necessarily what I adhere to 100% of the time.

Yes, I do eat raw most of the time. Yes, I do use milk products in moderation. I even use artificial sweeteners from time to time. If you are looking for 100% consistency from someone, then you are looking in the wrong direction. This man is fallible and has done many things in his life to the detriment of his own health.

[/quote']

As I said, I was not arguing one way or another about your points, as I think there are many valid and reasonably healthy ways of dealing with personal diet. I was just pointing out some fallacies from an historical perspective, plus pointing out that if the primary test for whether it should be part of our diet is commonality between humans and at least one other animal species, then some of our other most basic dietary behaviors also fail that test.

I'm sorry if it came across as something other than some minor debate about the argument chosen. It was in no way meant to be a commentary on your approach from a personal perspective - I can't speak for anyone else, but there's no question that just because I know something is not good for me doesn't mean I'll never eat it!