Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Week Pre-Op Liquid Diet Starts Tuesday

Hey everybody! I've been a lurker, but decided to finally post something. :) I got a surgery date, and am scheduled for 5/21. I'm super excited about the life changing journey ahead of me. I've done really well with the high protein/low carb diet mandated by the nut, but this weekend had pizza and italian for one last time. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely yummy, but just not as good as it 'used to be'. I guess subconsciously I also knew how unhealthy it was. My wife is having the surgery 2 weeks after me, and while at dinner, she asked if i was nervous. I told her I'm more nervous about the 2 week pre-op diet than I am the surgery or even the post-op life after. Has anyone else been in my shoes? I've read several stories on here so far but no 'real experiences' on how the entire two weeks went, so I think that's where some of my fear comes in - just the unknown of how this two weeks is going to go.

My 2 week pre-op diet consists of 5-6 Carnation Instant Breakfasts (no sugar added version) mixed with Water, except one may be mixed with 1 cup slim milk. The only other thing listed as allowed is up to 1 cup sugar free Jello and 2 sugar free popsicles. I'm not much of a sweets eater and more a savory eater so this is a lot of nothing but sweet for two weeks! I'm considering sneaking a cup or two of broth in the mix, other than the sodium, it's only about 15 cal's per cup - anybody know of a major reason I couldn't do that? I know I should ask the nut, but I haven't gotten that e-mail sent off yet.

I know everyones pre-op has been different based on your surgeon but I'd be really interested in hearing experiences from someone who has gone through the 2 week carnation instant Breakfast diet and how it went? I plan to stay loaded down on Water and deal with the hunger pains. I'm anticipating them to be so distracting and it being one of the most challenging things I've experienced. I do think that it's 80% or more a mental game, but I'd love to hear from someone who's been there so I know what to expect!

Can't help much since I'm pre-op as well but best of luck to you and your wife. I'm sure you'll be a great support system for each other going through this journey together.

Hi, there. I'm brand new to this forum and scheduled for surgery on May 15 in Puerto Vallarta. I'm supposed to be on the two week pre-op liquid diet but was struggling tremendously. Today, I read about other preop diets that allowed for two Protein Shakes and then a small meal with a Protein and green vegies. I went this route and feel much better - not weak - not feeling like cheating.

Most liquid diets I've seen include broth. Get the low sodium kind. Unless your doc gives a specific reason why you can't then go for it.

Thanks for all the replies everybody! I'm going to a support group meeting on day 7 of the diet so if I can make it that far, maybe I can get some encouragement and help to continue on for the 'downhill slide'.

Well, it's day one of the liquid diet. I've only had 3 of my allowed 6 shakes so far and it hasn't been too bad. I had to attend an event today where lunch was catered in (BBQ of course - something with a strong scent). I just got on my laptop and tried to not think about it. I did take the opportunity to share with the group my reason for not eating as I think it held me accountable somewhat. How could I tell them I had to do liquids and then talk myself into getting a plate? :) I'm really beginning to think it's a mental game, and I'm positive I haven't hit the rough points yet but I'm hoping I can get into a routine. I know the weekends will be the most difficult because I have the most time on my hands. I have had a few episodes of dizziness already but I think my blood sugar is just trying to adjust and even out. T-minus 2 weeks to the goal (a safe surgery)!

Just hang in there. I think you're right that it's a mind game. We want what we can't have. As much as possible, stay away from places where you'll be tempted. I'm now one week until surgery, and I'm finding the pre-op diet easier, though I have been eating some solid food for supper - but very, very little. Three days before my surgery, I'll go back to straight liquids. I hope I am doing this right. Starting to get nervous!

I started my pre-op diet yesterday as well. My pre-op is 4-5 Protein Meal Replacements ( 3 shakes and 2 bars if needed) and a lean 4 oz meat and 1 cup of steamed veggies for dinner. However, I have done a ton of reading and research on all aspects of this before I began. There is a company called Unjury and they make a protein packed chicken broth (soup) meal replacer for any liquid phase of this whole thing. It taste great and totally helps with that savory warm craving that I get in the evenings. I am not a sweet person either. They also make a cheese flavored Protein Powder that you can add to anything - including chicken broth or Tomato Soup - or just mix with warm Water for a cheese sauce. It is made for bariatric patients and I bet your NUT will approve :) The nutrition in the chicken Soup is equal to or better than the carnation replacer. And easy on the liver - which is the whole reason for this pre-op diet.