Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Caribbean sleevers? Need some support

I'm feeling alone and confused about my sleeve. It's not a common practice here and something people really not too comfortable talking about. Did my sleeve five mths now and only lost 58lbs, is that good or bad? I have been reading about persons who loss a lb a day.

Congrats on your sleeve. 58 lbs are a lot of weight. Don't compare yourself to others and keep following your doctor and nutritionist orders.

Tastic - I think 58 lbs in 5 months is very good. Maybe a better question, would you have lost 58 lbs in the same time period without surgery? Although this article is for a different surgery, I liked the focus on percentages vs. total pounds lost. When I figure my loss using these percentages, I am on track. But I am not one of the super fast losers here either. Check out this link: http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss.html Oh, I am not from the Caribbean but would GLADLY come visit you for support! In all seriousness, I live in rural Indiana and weight loss surgery is pretty uncommon around here. Thank goodness for this forum.

I look at it this way. I was told in my seminar that I could lose 100 pounds in a year. If you have lost 58 pounds in 5 months, then you are a little over halfway to 100 pounds, which in my opinion, is very good. Keep up the good work and try to stay possitive.

I would love to be a Caribbean sleever :wub:

It sounds like you're doing great and we're only a keyboard away!

We all have different body types. I might loose my weight at a different rate than you do. We are all on the same journey, just a different time table. You are doing great! Keep it Up!

Respectfully,

Joe

Thanks for the encouragement, it really warms my heart. Nobody understands the emotions that swirls around after doing something life changing like the sleeve. U are all very fortunate to have seminars and open forums about the topic. Please don't leave me out :-)

I'm feeling alone and confused about my sleeve. It's not a common practice here and something people really not too comfortable talking about. Did my sleeve five mths now and only lost 58lbs' date=' is that good or bad? I have been reading about persons who loss a lb a day.[/quote']

I'm from the Caribbean too, I had no idea that they were on to this surgery. I'm pre-op but I would take 58lbs in 5 months, that's awesome. You can't compare yourself to other people, it's an unhealthy habit, don't worry yourself sick over something you can't control.

I'm from the Caribbean too' date=' I had no idea that they were on to this surgery. I'm pre-op but I would take 58lbs in 5 months, that's awesome. You can't compare yourself to other people, it's an unhealthy habit, don't worry yourself sick over something you can't control.[/quote']

Yes, well in Jamaica. It's not common, very expense and not covered by insurance. Information and some of the food you all talk about is not readily available. It's so frustrating. I fainted last week at work and I'm still not sure if it has anything to do with my surgery. I think not I'm 5 months out but I have questions. My family doctor really not comfortable about the topic but he tries.

You can eat lots of veggies and low fat meat like goat, fish, and jerk chicken/ pork. And fruit! if you cook it yourself you can make it lower fat. try to avoid the fried foods though I bet that is hard. I think if it fill up on Protein first then you will do great! And yes I hope I lose as much as you have!

Please take at least a daily Multivitamin or even better a prenatal Vitamin. Also a B12 sublingual supplement of at least 500 mcg. You need at least 60 grams of protien a day. These are some of the general guidelines... I am not a doctor or anything! Oh and Water, water, water!

Thank you mistysj and Shelly 13, prenatal Vitamin? Kool will try that. How do you tolerate 60 gram of Protein? That sounds impossible, and mistysj veggies I read was a no no. So I wasn't cheating with veggie, I am going to try it ALL. If its not too much trouble could u share the portion size.

Goat is very very very fatty, very. I would avoid that like the plague.

Try stew chicken or curry chicken legs or thigh pieces, fish, shrimp, thinned out cornmeal porridge or cream of wheat, oatmeal, split pea Soups and even beef Soup but try to leave out a lot of the ground provision but sweet potato and maybe edos could be your friend.

You did the surgery in JA? The surgeon never give you any guidance?

P.S. Ackee would people good to try to, make it with salt fish boiled out good and eat it with a sweet potato.