Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice! High BMI - Band to Sleeve revision

Hello All,

I am starting my research to have my band revised to a sleeve. I am searching for the best "revision" doctor in MX as I am self pay. Unfortunately, the 1st 2 doctors I called were disappointing. The first wanted to wait 6 months between the 2 surgeries (removal and then sleeve) for an extra $4k and the 2nd immediately told me to get an RNY. I have a high BMI (5'11.5" and 450 lbs) but I have seen so many people on here that have lost a lot of weight and feel that I can do it too. I didn't appreciate him pushing the RNY without even knowing my situation.

My questions:

1, What doctor would you recommend for revision that will do it all at once?

2. Which doctor will do the sleeve without harping on me to get an RNY?

I have been lurking awhile and hopefully will be able to get decisions made and money coming in so I can get this done!! I have had this stupid band for 5 years and I HATE it!! I actually do not have issues with it other than no restriction and have never had restriction.

Thanks for the help!!

As I am sure that you feel that the sleeve would be the best option for ya...you should really talk to a Dr. to evaluate your medical issues if you have any. My Dr. doesnt do a sleeve unless you have VERY low risks...if you have medical issues already he will NOT do a sleeve and only a RNY.

Curious tho...why did you chose the band and now want to change? Are you not having any success with the band?

I am having my band to sleeve revision with Dr. Garcia on May 22nd. My two top choices were him and Dr. Aceves who is about twice the price but most experienced in the field in Mexico. Neither one pushed or tried to get me to have anything other than what I was requesting, the sleeve. Hope this helps!

I did not have a revision but I did go to Dr. Aceves. He's wonderful.

Also, I am also guessing that any surgeon that will do it in one fell swoop, be it Mx or the States, will stop the surgery if they open you up and find its too risky to proceed.

I am sure there are doctors that prefer the RNY. However, I have a problem with a coordinator pushing it on me when he has never met me, knows nothing about my life or history or any medical issues. He pushed it because of my BMI. I would just like to know who had a revision in Mexico and who their doctor was. I am starting to lean toward ponce de leon and he has good reviews on here. Just wanting some suggestions. Thanks!

I'll be having revision surgery with Dr. Rumbaut on Tuesday. He did my original LapBand surgery so I feel very comfortable with him. He is most definitely NOT the cheapest, but I'm not basing such an important decision on the lowest price.

When I spoke to Dr. R (3 times now before deciding to do this...how many other surgeons talk to you personally?), he asked me if I had originally been successful with the band. Since I had, he thinks the sleeve will work well for me. If I hadn't, then he'd recommend RNY. It also depends on the type of overeater you are. For example, if you have trouble with sweets, then RNY might be best. But if volume is your problem, then the sleeve might be enough.

I can't say for sure that Dr. R would do your revision all at once. A lot depends on your individual situation. The same with the RNY...if his professional opinion, based upon seeing thousands of patients, is that RNY is best for you, perhaps you should consider it. The main thing is to be open and honest about your situation, listen to what he has to say, then go from there...

Good luck!

I chose Dr. Aceves for my revison as I had had the band in for 9 years and knew I needed a surgeon that could deal with a difficult situation. It was a difficult surgery and I am very glad I paid the extra money to have Dr. Aceves. Other surgeons also told me I may need two surgeries and I knew I had one shot and needed a surgeon with enough skill with revisions to do that. I also talked with Dr. Rumbaut and it was between the two doctors... I didn't feel safe with the situation in Monterrey and that was the deal breaker there for me. I was very impressed that Dr Rumbaut talked with me personally and he felt quite confident that he could do my revision in one surgery as well. Wishing you the best on your journey and stick to your guns with the surgery you want.

I used dr Cabrera and dr Venezuela for my revision, I was very pleased.