Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days Post-Op Any Alternative to Protein Shakes

Hi everyone, This is my first day to join this forum and my first time posting. I had my surgery four days ago and I am recovering ok, but I must admit I am having a really difficult time with the post-op Protein Shakes. I have not found one that I even halfway like and it's really difficult forcing myself to down them. During the pre-op diet, I would just power through them and force them down fairly quickly, but post-surgery that's not possible and I find them so disgusting, it's making it difficult to get my Protein in for the day. Since have at least three more weeks of this to go, I'm looking for some alternatives. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, did you find any alternative to the shakes? And if not, does anyone know of Protein Shake that is not truly awful? I'd be very grateful for any suggestions. Thanks in advance! :-) Becky

You could try alternatives like Protein Soups. There are different varieties such as Tomato and chicken flavor. Each have between 12-15 G protein. Not the most you could have in a serving, but better then nothing. You could even get creative and add lobster bouillon to Tomato Soup to make a lobster bisque. That being said, I need to ask you: have you tried the nectar sweet shakes? These are pretty good and are almost like a treat. Many flavors like Cookies and cream, chocolate truffle, vanilla bean and so on. Unjury also makes some good Protein Shakes.< /p>

I had my sleeve done on 4/29/13 as well. One thing that I like to do is heat up a cup of low sodium chicken broth, then add half a scoop of the nectar unflavored Protein. I do this twice a day and it helps get in myproteins. You could do a whole scoop. But that's too much "chalk" flavor for me.

You could add dry milk powder to skim milk. It's not as much as a Protein Shake, but it's better than nothing. Additionally, I like the Lean shakes from GNC. They've got a decent variety of flavors and they don't taste half bad.

I was having problems also and a friend who had the sleeve brought me shakes from target by EAS AdvantEdge carb control they come in vanilla, chocolate, strawberry. Only 17g but they are so light also no sugar at all. Anything with the slightest sugar has a hard time going down. Which is fine for me because sugar was my down fall and is what made me fat. So I believe this surgery will be a success.

I agree that GNC's lean shakes are pretty good. Also, World Market and Walmart sell Torani sugar free flavoring syrups. World Market has many flavor a to choose from, such as coconut, black cherry, peppermint, almond roca, in addition to the normal vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. Get creative with your powder mix. I've had almond joy and peppermint patty by mixing chocolate with other flavors!

Hey I got told I can have drinking yogurt and anything that goes through a straw. I hate the shakes makes me dry reach so I'm on the bars pre op and my dad made me heaps of Soups and I froze them in tiny containers. Also brought a cheap magic bullet type machine at big w for bout $40 so I can make my own shakes with banana and skim milk. Dietitian recommended that :-)

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to reply -- life has gotten a bit chaotic lately and this is the first opportunity I've had to log back on and respond. Fortunately, I made it through the liquid phase and I'm currently in the mushy/pureed phase. To my great delight, I have discovered that lowfat cottage cheese contains 14 grams of Protein per 1/2 cup serving and only 90 calories. It has been a huge help in getting toward my protein goal each day. I have to confess though, I'm really looking forward to starting back on solid foods in another week!

My surgery is June 3 and I am on my prep diet. I don't like Protein Shakes either;however, I have found the slim fast low card high Protein. They aren't bad, and they have 20 grams of protein and only 2 carbs. They are 180 calories. Best of luck to you! I'm haven't lost much the first week of prep. Don't know if I am doing something wrong or what, but I'm doing what they say. I can tell in my clothes in my stomach area, but not the scales.< /p>

Another option I read on another thread was to add pure orange extract to the vanilla shake...I tried it and it tastes like a dreamsicle...I bet it would be a great treat frozen too!

GNC Lean shakes are my favorite!!