Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I try my best to stick to waiting 30 mins before and after eating to drink anything. I've sometimes lately gotten a little slack & did like 15 or 20 mins, but how do you all feel about this. Please share. I'm open to facts, opinions, EVERYTHING...cause I'm pretty easy going, lol. Thank you so much everyone. Oh, & I was originally told 30 before and 45 after, but my "Nut" said 30/30 is fine enough.

I think if you trusted your surgeon enough to cut you open and rearrange your innards you should follow their post-op advice. Just my opinion.

I need to wait 30 minutes prior and 60 minutes after. I've seen some folks say that their instructions say that they don't need to wait prior to eating at all. However, please stick to your doctor's advice. There's a reason why we were given these instructions. We committed ourselves to a change in lifestyle by proceeding with the surgery. I never thought that I'd be able to eat without a drink on the table & the time goes by quickly if you have something to preoccupy yourself with.

I was told 15minutes before and 30 after. It works fine!

I wait. I worry that drinking too soon after eating will push the food through my sleeve too quickly and I will be hungry sooner than necessary. I don't know if this is a fact or not, just a concern that I have.

I don't wait..... :o Don't see a difference waiting or not. Horror of horrors...I drink with my meals too! Nothing like I did before, but I might sip along if I am eating spicy food or something that is on the dry side. I've never waited before or after though....

I need to wait 30 minutes prior and 60 minutes after. I've seen some folks say that their instructions say that they don't need to wait prior to eating at all. However, please stick to your doctor's advice. There's a reason why we were given these instructions. We committed ourselves to a change in lifestyle by proceeding with the surgery. I never thought that I'd be able to eat without a drink on the table & the time goes by quickly if you have something to preoccupy yourself with.

The biggest issue is that there is NO set rules. Every Dr. and every nutritionist says something different and when you question them, you don't get a consistent answer. Most of what you hear is based on RNY surgery, not sleeve surgery. The whole thing about stomach stretching with a sleeve is pretty much not possible, but is possible with RNY. Like the whole thing about soda. Carbonation will not stretch your sleeve, it physically isn't possible. So this whole drinking before and after meals, really doesn't make a ton of sense. I don't gulp fluids with my meals like I did before, but if I need to take a drink while I am eating, or afterwards, it isn't going to make a ton of difference. I follow my Drs and my nutritionists directions, but if I need to do something and I feel that it is the best thing for ME, that's what I do. I've never followed the drinking rule one way or another, and I'm doing just fine.

My dr says its ok to sip with my meals

My surgeon's rules are 15 minutes before and 30 minutes after. I like the 15 minutes before rule when eating out because I can then drink Water when I first get to a restaurant and stop around when we order, so it's been 15 minutes by the time the food comes. I always wait at least 30 minutes after and usually longer to drink after eating and that helps me stay full longer and prevents any issues with food feeling like it's backing up into my throat, which I do think can happen if you've eaten dense food and drink too soon after eating.

Doc said can drink up to 3 min before meal but to try and wait 30-40 min after. He said the after part is most important. He said to think of a canned good...when you put two holes in it and hold it upside down it kind of bubbles and pours out slowly. Think of only one hole in the can w/ the sleeve. Only so much can fit on the stomach pouch at one time...when you try and drink Water, he said its possible that it may not go through and is more likely to cause one to puke. Sounds odd but he is the one whose been doing this forever.

I try not to drink about 15 minutes before eating. As someone mentioned, though, I have also taken a tiny sip or two during a meal to help a food slide down. This was approved by my NUT. I do try to wait 30 minutes afterwards, for any significant amount.

ALso, My NUT told me, however, to eat a popsicle with my meal, to count it as a 'dessert' right away. And that is actually a liquid. She thought by waiting it might give me permission to start snacking.

I do think one has to experiment a little bit and see what works for them. We are all little different.

My nutritionist and surgeon said no worries about drinking before eating, but they do recommend waiting until 30 mins after. I will sip occasionally when I am eating (if it's spicy, etc.) and I don't really pay attention to the clock after eating. However, I do find that if I eat to fullness, drinking is uncomfortable for a while.

What happens when you drink with meals

Interesting!

Doc said can drink up to 3 min before meal but to try and wait 30-40 min after. He said the after part is most important. He said to think of a canned good...when you put two holes in it and hold it upside down it kind of bubbles and pours out slowly. Think of only one hole in the can w/ the sleeve. Only so much can fit on the stomach pouch at one time...when you try and drink water' date=' he said its possible that it may not go through and is more likely to cause one to puke. Sounds odd but he is the one whose been doing this forever.[/quote']

This is what I do basically. I can't drink too soon after because I will throw up. But I stopped waiting so long before because on the event that I eat something wrong and need to throw up (I'm 1 month out) throwing up a block of dry food is painful and nearly impossible.