Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved April 16--How long until I can go back to work as a RN?

Hello:

I has my VSG on April 16th. I work as a Reg. Nurse and my employer will not let return to work until I can "lift" a minimum of 50 lbs!

Everything I have read so far does not address at what point I can lift 50 lbs so I can return to work.

I am so used to working, I miss it!

My surgeon said I could not lift anything more than ten pounds for one month. My friends surgeon told her nothing heavier than a coffee cup for a month. Good luck. Hope you're feeling well.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/47105-super-nurses-with-sleeves-support-group/page__st__280#entry800170

Have you been here? It is a Nursing sleeve group. I have been wondering the same thing, I am a nursing student and will have 2-6 weeks before clinicals, depending on my surgery date. I know a lot has to do with the type of nursing you do; ER vs. more office related. How well you heal and what your Dr. says. Check out the group though

Thank you both for all the information!

I didn't know there was a Sleeved Nurse group! Great idea!

Most specifically, my employer stated that I must be cleared to do solo CPR and as well as lifting at least 50 lbs!

I seriously doubt if I (or many of my overweight fellow nurses I work with) if I could really lift 50 pounds as an obese nurse--out of shape as I was! I wish our hospital had "light duty" work for RNs ????. That is unfortunately not an option.

This like so many others things is dependent on your surgeons opinion. I am a paramedic and was released to go back to work at 2 weeks post op. My only weight restriction was nothing more then 25 pounds for the first 2 weeks, after that I was just told to take it slow but to work my way back up to it. Good Luck.

On the CPR issue I will tell you from experience I did CPR on a patient at about 1 month post op and actually did better compressions then I had in many many years.

That is very frustrating! I am a Ct Technologist. I was sleeved on the 16th as well. My dr released me to go back to work the following Monday. He does not have a weight restriction at all. He tells his patients there is nothing we can do to damage the sleeve. That was surprising but also a big relief, considering how physical my job is. Good luck to you!

Hello. I work as a PCT at a ER... I took 6 wks off only because our hospital is being bought out by another hospital and we will lose our FMLA hours. Yesterday was my first day back (I work 3p-3:30 am). My do told me not to lift no more than 10 lbs for the first two months. I felt fine at work just a little tired by 9pm since my bedtime was usually 8:30-10 while I was off work. I did sip a lot of Water throughout my shift but wasn't hungry at all but I did munch on cheese and Protein bars. I'm the type of person that miss working after 2-3 days, therefore I was really glad to go back!

I'm an ER RN. My doc had me on a 20lbs lifting restriction for 6 weeks and hospital policy is no lifting restrictions in the ER so I was out for 6 weeks on FMLA.

We share the same date and im close to finishing the prerequisites so I can enter nursing school. Good luck!!!!!

I went back to work 7 days later as a nurse but I was working in the clinic at that time. Hospital work I would recommend at least 3 -4 weeks!

Hi Guys!!

Thank you for all of your feedback!

It's been 3 weeks since I was sleeved (to the day) and I have another Dr's appt today.

He didn't release me to go back to work last Tuesday, but told me to stay on the Full liquid diet because I had complications that kept me in the hospital for a full week after surgery!

My doc seems very conservative in all matters!

My hospital HR--especially my DON is requiring that the 50lb lifting req and the solo-CPR req get listed specifically on my medical release back to work!

Ugh!! Wish me luck :).

I'm an OR RN and I was sleeved on April 23rd and I'm taking 6 weeks off before I go back. One, because of the lifting. I was told nothing more than 25 pounds for a month. Sucks cause my 2yr old is 30 pounds. And two, because with time constrains on breaks and eating lunch I wanted to make sure I was up to almost normal foods when I went back and feel better about it as far as what I'm eating to give me enough go to get through a work day.

I'm an OR RN and I was sleeved on April 23rd and I'm taking 6 weeks off before I go back. One' date=' because of the lifting. I was told nothing more than 25 pounds for a month. Sucks cause my 2yr old is 30 pounds. And two, because with time constrains on breaks and eating lunch I wanted to make sure I was up to almost normal foods when I went back and feel better about it as far as what I'm eating to give me enough go to get through a work day.[/quote']

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

I am off to my surgeon's --3 week Post-op appt right now.

I am very glad to read your perspective because for some reason I had it in my mind (pre-surgery) that I would be feeling on top of the world. Probably because of many of my peers in my local support group reports post-Surg :(

When that did not happen I felt extremely disappointed in myself and my progress.

I have had 7 MAJOR surgeries and, I know as a medical professional, that people heal at different rates.

Thank you again!