Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The pre-op diet is NOT a punishment ... it's an opportunity.

Girl you must be reading my mind; you would never believe how much I needed to read something exactly like what you've just posted.

My pre-op starts Wed and I've started stressing a bit. For months I've mentally prepared myself for the surgery and life post surgery, but i hadnt really thought about the 2 week pre-op diet. I guess i am fortunate that it's not ALL liquid; i can have 1 lean & green meal a day.

I am defntly bookmarking your post to help buoy me up when things get tough. THANK YOU!!!!!

Well said. I am glad I didnt have to do one cuz prob would have cheated but I made a deal with G~d, I told him if he made it easy and uneveventful for me, Id see it thru and do it the Docs way cuz my own wasnt working. He did, no preop anything and an exam of my liver showed normal size. Iys been easy breezy beautiful all thw way. Of course the next 30 will be a struggle as well as keeping it off but 55.5 pounds later and Im pretty happy.

Thanks for the thoughtful inspiration. I'm in my pre-op liquid diet now and enjoyed reading your post. So true.

Hi guys. I see a lot of you are struggling and worried pre-op about the pre-op diet. It is a HUGE challenge' date=' but for me, it was an important one.

I was on a 2 week liquid pre-op diet because my BMI was 55+ and I was self-pay in Mexico. Traveling from Canada meant that a reschedule would be A LOT of extra expense if my surgeon had to stop due to an enlarged liver mid-surgery. I had NO CHOICE but to follow the diet.

It also meant that cheating would increase the chance of complications and a longer recovery (or worse), all because I could not follow a 2 WEEK diet. Really? Here I was, about to take a seriously radical, life-changing step and get 85% of my stomach cut out permanently. But I can't follow a 2 week diet? That's crazy.

Post-op was going to be difficult for MONTHS, not days. So if I couldn't get my head in the game for the pre-op diet, then maybe I wasn't ready for what was going to follow post-op. I was terrified!

So I started the liquid diet. And I was STARVING. I was dreaming of all the foods I thought were leaving my life forever. Suddenly I didn't care that I had spent my life morbidly obese, I wanted my comfort back. I wanted to fill myself to bursting at every meal, like it was my last meal forever.

But I didn't break my diet.

Because for once, I wasn't going to cheat myself. It was time to grow up (I'm 43....) and take responsibility for my health, my future and my choices. A lifetime of justification, gluttony and excuses brought me to that operating room. Now it was time to face the music and get on with owing my future.

The first 3 days were HELL. That is when your body is detoxing from the carbs. You are using up the glycogen in your liver (to help "shrink" it) and it's screaming for replacement carbs to fill it back up. You can get through it. After 3 days it gets MUCH better. After a week you start to feel normal and more healthy than you have felt in years. You may be hungry, but you don't have the carb cravings anymore.

Most importantly, you feel IN CONTROL; and mentally and emotionally strong for battling your demons and winning. This is the first tangible proof in an unsure future that you CAN get through the post-op recovery and that you CAN succeed in losing the weight this time, FOR LIFE.

Whatever weight you lose during your pre-op diet is really inconsequential. What is important is what you gain:

- Confidence

- Emotional and physical self-control

- The desire to succeed and overcome "impossible" obstacles

- The knowledge that you are a WINNER as long as you do your best

Please don't look at the pre-op diet as a "condition" that your surgeon imposes on you (and some surgeons don't require it!). It is an OPPORTUNITY for you to test yourself, to help build your will, character and emotional toughness BEFORE you have the surgery.

It's like training for a marathon.....you put the blood sweat and tears in before the race to help you finish the race on game day. Without training and preparation, you will likely fail and you can get hurt really badly along the way!

Use your pre-op diet to work through your demons, build up your confidence and prove to yourself you can do it. If you "fall off the wagon" one day, the next day is a fresh start.

Aim for excellence. You owe it to yourself.[/quote']

Wow wonderful and helps me stop planning mothers day as my cheat day.

Great words of exactly how I feel. Only 4 more days on this and then surgery. I am constantly reminding myself that cheating myself is what got me here! So I plan on doing this right this time. Thanks for posting! Really needed to read this today!

I'm on day 3 of full fluids (next week is clear fluids) and I am CRASHING. Headaches, hunger, cravings, food dreams and I'm extremely tired.... Thank you for your motivational words. I needed this, and I'm glad to hear that it gets easier.

Thank you for the redraw motivation. I start my diet Monday

Well said.

It is not about judgement but some degree of self control. All of us are considering or who have had surgery for different reasons based on our relationship with food. Whether you are an overeater, grazer, binger, or a foodie like me who traveled the world extensively and ate rich food, it takes discipline. Sticking to pre-op and post-op diet is a mental thing which prepares you for the next step in your journey.

The surgery is a tool and requires discipline for you entire life. How can someone not can stick to a plan for a few weeks or months but do it for life? I made the decision, to stick to the plan because I did not want to fail again. I have dieted and lost 50-100lbs several times during my life, but always gained it back for some reason or another. I was at a support group last night where three people went, fell of track and gained all their lost weight back. They now have to start all over again. don't know about some but I can say that is not going to be me.

I stick to the plan because I want to succeed. I have not had any sweets, carbs (other than yogurt), or beverages other than Water since 4 weeks pre-op. Will that work for all? No it will not, but it works for me, because I want to succeed. I applaud the honesty on this board to admit things no matter how hard. However, I can't not applaud not sticking to a plan which will now become a way of life. Will I have a few bites of something unhealthy down the road? Maybe I will or maybe I will become a healthy food fanatic? Who know? However, I as have said many time to each his own.

Hi guys. I see a lot of you are struggling and worried pre-op about the pre-op diet. It is a HUGE challenge, but for me, it was an important one.

Exactly 1 year ago, I was in the middle of a 2 week liquid pre-op diet because my BMI was 55+ and I was self-pay in Mexico. Traveling from Canada meant that a reschedule would be A LOT of extra expense if my surgeon had to stop due to an enlarged liver mid-surgery. I had NO CHOICE but to follow the diet.

It also meant that cheating would increase the chance of complications and a longer recovery (or worse), all because I could not follow a 2 WEEK diet. Really? Here I was, about to take a seriously radical, life-changing step and get 85% of my stomach cut out permanently. But I can't follow a 2 week diet? That's crazy.

Post-op was going to be difficult for MONTHS, not days. So if I couldn't get my head in the game for the pre-op diet, then maybe I wasn't ready for what was going to follow post-op. I was terrified!

So I started the liquid diet. And I was STARVING. I was dreaming of all the foods I thought were leaving my life forever. Suddenly I didn't care that I had spent my life morbidly obese, I wanted my comfort back. I wanted to fill myself to bursting at every meal, like it was my last meal forever.

But I didn't break my diet.

Because for once, I wasn't going to cheat myself. It was time to grow up (I'm 43....) and take responsibility for my health, my future and my choices. A lifetime of justification, gluttony and excuses brought me to that operating room. Now it was time to face the music and get on with owing my future.

The first 3 days were HELL. That is when your body is detoxing from the carbs. You are using up the glycogen in your liver (to help "shrink" it) and it's screaming for replacement carbs to fill it back up. You can get through it. After 3 days it gets MUCH better. After a week you start to feel normal and more healthy than you have felt in years. You may be hungry, but you don't have the carb cravings anymore.

Most importantly, you feel IN CONTROL; and mentally and emotionally strong for battling your demons and winning. This is the first tangible proof in an unsure future that you CAN get through the post-op recovery and that you CAN succeed in losing the weight this time, FOR LIFE.

Whatever weight you lose during your pre-op diet is really inconsequential. What is important is what you gain:

- Confidence

- Emotional and physical self-control

- The desire to succeed and overcome "impossible" obstacles

- The knowledge that you are a WINNER as long as you do your best

Please don't look at the pre-op diet as a "condition" that your surgeon imposes on you (and some surgeons don't require it!). It is an OPPORTUNITY for you to test yourself, to help build your will, character and emotional toughness BEFORE you have the surgery.

It's like training for a marathon.....you put the blood sweat and tears in before the race to help you finish the race on game day. Without training and preparation, you will likely fail and you can get hurt really badly along the way!

Use your pre-op diet to work through your demons, build up your confidence and prove to yourself you can do it. If you "fall off the wagon" one day, the next day is a fresh start.

Aim for excellence. You owe it to yourself.

Love it - Opportunity!