Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many of you have lost hair?

I keep reading that hair loss may happen after surgery. Are we talking clumps of hair? Thinning? Need for wigs and hats?

Does it grow back?

This may seem like a trivial thing to worry about but I'd like my hair to stay on my head.

I am at 4 months and starting to lose hair. Not in clumps but definitely starting to lose it.

Ian 6 months out just about.... hair thinning but not failing out in clumps.... People only notice if I point it out.... It started at 4 months and is slowing down ..... So it is my hope its stopping.... But nothing that needs a wig to cover it up...

Mine just started a few weeks ago, and I am almost 4 months. Normally I shed a loose handful every morning. It had doubled to a big handful, but not in clumps. I hope it doesnt last to long.

I bought some expensive Adeva products and mine has started to slow. I'm not sure if its the products or just my natural body reaction. Either way I'm glad it seems better.

Mine started around 6 months out. It thinned, but didn't come out in clumps. It has stopped falling out in the past month or two (10 months out now). Hasn't really started to thicken back up but I think that will prob take at least another 6 months

Mine started thinning around 4-5 months and thinned for a few months. At almost two years out, it is thick all the way to the ends again (just below my shoulders). No need for a wig. My stylist layered it a bit and cut it at my shoulders one time.

Lynda

Mine started at about 2 1/2 months out. I'm not going bald but its thinning out. I'm hoping it only lasts a few months. I have noticed new hairs starting to grow already tho so I'm happy about that!

I am 3 1/2 months out and yes my hair is thining also.. The thining is most likely caused but the estrogen rush from the quick weight loss. When I was on meds to regulate my peroids I had the same thing happen. Doc said it was from all the estrogen my body was releasing. Needless to say it sucks but it should grow back.

I KNEW THAT THIS WAS A BIG POSSIBLILTY THAT MY hair MAY FALL OUT BUT NOW THAT IT IS DOING IT AT 5 MTHS OUT I HAVE TO BE HONEST!!! I AM GOIN NUTS I FEEL LIKE YOU CAN SEE MY BALD HEAD EVEN THOUGH IM NOT BALD ITS JUST IT HAS THINNED OUT SO BAD THAT I CAN SEE MY HEAD A BIT MORE I JUST HOPE IT STOPS SOON!!! BUT THE GOOD THING ID IM DOWN 70LBS!!! YAY ME!!!

Mine started coming out about 3-4 weeks ago. It comes out about triple what it did before surgery. It was a little thin to start with, and now it's very thin. I freak out about it, too. I knew it would happen, but I don't like it! I might have to do something about it.....but don't know what! Maybe extensions? I hope it stops soon, but I know it may not stop for a while. I've started making sure I have a little more balanced diet, just in case that makes a difference. I use minoxidil, and I'm using nioxin products, too....but honestly, I don't think anything can stop it at this point. Just time. If you search threads like this, you will find the answers you are getting here are pretty much the standard. It happens to almost everyone in varying amounts. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones! :)

I have really thick hair to start with so a little thinning wouldn't be that bad of a thing...I'm just scared that I will look like a chemo patient and it wont come back.

I have very thick hair and 4 months out. My hair is definitely falling out and every time I brush my hair... my heart sinks. I keep reminding myself that no one has ever posted they went bald. Mine is thinning not clumping. After surgery I started the Biotin, and I don't see where it has help the Hair loss, BUT I have awesome nails now :D