Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone..... I am new to posting on this site, and I am hoping for some encouragement! I am hopefully being sleeved in June (we are shooting for the 10th) and I am both excited and scared to death! I didn't think I could have both emotions at once! Lol

I just feel like losing so much weight (200+ pounds) is so daunting, and I hope I am making the right decision. Has anyone else felt this way?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Yes! Of course! I think I was more excited than scared tho. I know how you feel, when you think of having to lose 200lbs it sounds crazy. I will tell you that my highest weight I was at 427lbs. I had surgery on January 15 and my weight was 413. I'm now out 3 1/2 months, as of 2 weeks ago I had lost 80lbs and I now weigh 333. It's been the best decision ever! My life has changed so much. If there is one piece if advice I can give that has helped me is keep a positive attitude. If you have surgery and go thru it you are going to have many emotions, thoughts and feelings. Your mind will fight you a lot but you have to be strong and remind yourself that you did this for a reason. You will have bad days. Use this sight for support, embrace your new life with a positive attitude and you will do great! Good luck and I commend you for making the choice to live a healthier life. :)

Thanks a lot, MrsG!! Congrats on your weight loss and thanks for the kind words of encouragement! I agree with you that staying positive will help. I am working on that now, starting the positive self talk. I am very lucky that I have a wonderful and supportive husband and family, as well as friends. I think the biggest regret I would have at this point is if I DIDN'T have the surgery! And you are right, reading and posting on this site will only be beneficial.

I didn't have quite as much to lose (I started at 325) but I was overwhelmed for sure. Even when I was down quite a bit I felt overwhelmed. Every time the scale stopped I was worried that was it. But I hung in there and ten months out from surgery I am down 125lbs, am down 6 pants sizes, and I feel (and look) like an entirely different person. It's scary and frustrating at times, but sooo worth it.

I kept trying to tell myself that the next year would pass whether or not I got the surgery or followed the plan, and that I'd rather be on the track of looking back at how far I've come than wishing I had made the choice.

Making a list of reasons I want to be at goal weight helped me. When I was stressed or when the scale didn't move I would pull it out to remind myself. And as you progress write down all your successes, even the smallest NSVs. It will get easier over time, I promise.

I didn't have quite as much to lose (I started at 325) but I was overwhelmed for sure. Even when I was down quite a bit I felt overwhelmed. Every time the scale stopped I was worried that was it. But I hung in there and ten months out from surgery I am down 125lbs' date=' am down 6 pants sizes, and I feel (and look) like an entirely different person. It's scary and frustrating at times, but sooo worth it.

I kept trying to tell myself that the next year would pass whether or not I got the surgery or followed the plan, and that I'd rather be on the track of looking back at how far I've come than wishing I had made the choice.

Making a list of reasons I want to be at goal weight helped me. When I was stressed or when the scale didn't move I would pull it out to remind myself. And as you progress write down all your successes, even the smallest NSVs. It will get easier over time, I promise.[/quote']

Love this! I too journaled my journey. I started before surgery and wrote down all the things I hated about being at the weight I was. Then I wrote down all my goals and things I wanted to do as I lose. Then I've written all about my journey so far and it has helped me a lot! I also take pics of myself at various weights along the way in a bra and panties and tape them in my journal as well as my measurements. I do that once a month, very therapeutic!

I think most of us have had second thoughts and fears prior to our surgeries, and even after them! But it is so worth it!!! I wouldn't go so far to say it's all sunshine and rainbows, because it's not. It's very difficult, and there will be times you wonder why you did this to yourself, that you must have been crazy or something. But those moments will pass, especially once you can eat regular food again. It still seems surreal to me. Like there is no way i'm ever going to get under 200lbs, that i'll just be this way forever. It's been such a dream of mine to be a "normal" weight, and i've worked so hard that it's hard to believe it's actually happening! In 7 weeks i've lost 35lbs! My only regret is not having been able to do this sooner ( and from time to time the fact that i can't pig out on pizza :P ). Good luck on your journey!!!

Thanks to everyone for you replies! I think journaling is a great idea.... And reminding myself that I do not want to be this weight anymore! Little things like using a seat belt without an extender, going to Disney world and actually getting on a ride with my son, sitting in a booth at a restaurant, so many things that I hate that I can't do. I am really looking forward to the non- food life changes that will happen. The new "normal" is worth fighting for.

Hi Cmunne,

I understand those feelings. And most of us on this site have struggled with them as well. My starting weight was 358 lbs. I am about 6 months out and have no regrets. I have lost a little over 100 lbs. I still have about 65 lbs to go. I felt very overwhelmed with the amount I needed to lose when I was pre op. Post op there were too many other things I needed to focus on. It was a big adjustment to me at the beginning.

Once I went back to work and back to my routine life began to get more "normal" At that point I had lost a good chunk of weight ( 45 lbs ) so the numbers we not so overwhelming. Once you see the weight coming off it will calm your fears!

Funny only once did I question this decision. It was just before they were wheeling me in for surgery... This thought runs through my mind .... Tina what the heck are you getting ready to do..... My following thought was... I am saving my life! Struggle was over.... I have been at peace since then.

I knew for me I was committing a slow suicide carrying all that weight. And of I did not do something my life would be shortened drastically. The only health issue I had due to the weight was high blood pressure and that developed 2 months before surgery. One month post op I was taken off the blood pressure medicine.

This web site was my life saver really.... I stumbled across this site 1 month post op. just knowing others have the same issues and getting questions answered is a fabulous support!

I do wish you all the best in your journey.... Feel free to contact me for support! You got this.... Sincerely, Tina

I am too...just at the beginning of my journey...I have my date of May24th...I am very excited...and soo thrilled that I found this forum to help with ideas and share thoughts and stuff. there were a couple non-food life changes we were talking bout in class the other day like our shoes being tied on top rather than the side....or some where theyr belt buckles to the side a bit as to not hurt the bellys and now can wear them in the middle again....

Wishing you luck along the way..I believe this forum is gonna be a great tool along the way.

I know how you feel. I have about 250ish to shed. It totally overwhelms me. Completely. But I feel this is the right decision for me. I tried to do it on my own and have failed. Miserably. Best of luck to you.

Yep, it's overwhelming when you look at in it's entirety. It's hard not to, some days, so I have to force myself to just stop it! Like Lzuri said, every time the scale stops, I fear this is it, and I'll never get to goal. I wonder if my goal is reasonable? Just not knowing drives me nuts, and when I think about how far I have come, and then how far I still have to go....I'm more nuts, lol. So. I decide every day, and every time these thoughts creep into my mind, that the first 70 pounds came off pretty easy, and I now consider myself more of a "normal" fat person :) I can move around great and wear much smaller, cuter clothes, and people call me skinny (that totally cracks me up). In other words, even though I'm not there yet, this place is far better than where I came from. I take one day (sometimes one minute) at a time, and I think, just like I ate all those Cookies and cake one bite at a time, I'll take the weight off one pound at a time. Time marches by either way, it's just how decide to view it :)

Hi,

Tomorrow is 3 weeks post op. I've had a few small bumps since surgery, but overall have felt pretty good, and rather quickly too.

I was able to return to work after 1 week @ almost full days.

The first few days I was like OMG...what have i done. I had come home from the hospital only to find I gained like 4 lbs, and several days later, still no loss. Emotionally, that was screwing me up, my head knew everything was okay, but i was still anxious.

Day 5 I felt pretty good, and by day 7 it started dropping.

I too have so much to lose, and when I look forward it seems so daunting. But then I eat and I am so grateful to have this very poweful tool. I always gave in to hunger, It is so lovely to be able to eat so much less and be satisfied.

We all can do this and we can all be each others cheerleaders.