Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uggh! Discouragement From VA Bariatric Coordinator on Mexico Sleeve

I just spoke with the Veteran Affairs bariatric coordinator for my region and she was not supportive. With me being 5 hours away, she knows it will be months before I can get into the VA diet program - a telephone program - and then I have to wait 6 months before I can be approved for surgery. T'm not waiting another year when I could have the surgery and be at goal in a year.

She went on and on about the follow-up needed and when I told her my primary doctor would be handling it, she asked "does she know what's involved?" I'm like, "isn't it looking over my incision site and labwork?" She never answered the question. She moved on to the next negative so I'm guessing it is looking at my incision and labwork.

She talked about how the surgery is just a tool and how I'll need to make a lifestyle change and take Vitamins forever. Excuse me but how does having surgery in Mexico stop me from taking Vitamins? And I'm still going to join the VA diet program (again, by phone). I'll just be doing it as a WLS patient and not a waiting-for-WLS patient.

She mentioned they have a weight loss support group. I'm 5 HOURS AWAY. There is no way I would be going to any VA support group. Thankfully, a hospital here in my city has an open bariatric support group so I'll be going there.

The only thing I halfway agreed with is her saying I need to have an arrangement with a bariatric surgeon in my city in case of emergencies because a regular surgeon won't know what to do. That might be the only thing I agree with her about but I don't have the money for that so it's not happening. She never mentioned having an arrangement when we were discussing me having the surgery 5 hours away from home so I'm guessing it's not a necessity. If there's an emergency, I'm going to the emergency room just like I would if I had the surgery 5 hours away from where I live. If it's not an emergency, I'll drive the 5 hours to their hospital. Thankfully the VA can't refuse care and normally does up the follow-up care needed for someone that sees an outside physician, so that's not a concern of mine.

Finally she mentioned they had seen patients who had their procedures in Mexico with complications. This woman just got with the program so I highly doubt she's seen anything. But assuming she heard about some previous patients with problems, my level of risk is determined by the level of skill and experience of my surgeon. She didn't even know what procedure I was having done until midway through her concerns. She didn't ask about my doctor's training. She didn't ask about the hospital. She asked nothing. She heard Mexico and her mind closed. But what she didn't realize is that I researched the VA surgeon just like I researched Dr. Lopez. The VA surgeon was educated and trained in India. When did India become ok but Mexico is a no no? The VA surgeon has only been out of residency since 2001 then he focused on transplants and general abdominal surgery. When he came to the US, he had to do another residency - cause the US doesn't trust other countries - and he just finished that residency in 2008. He was still focused on transplants that enire time. He just started focusing on bariatric surgery in 2010. He didn't join his first bariatric surgical association until 2012, which shows how interested in the bariatric field he is. And did I mention he's a professor half the time? Yes, the VA is fine trusting my life to a part-time Indian surgeon who's been doing bariatric surgeries 3 years but a Mexican surgeon, who also did a residency in Chicago, who's been doing bariatric surgeries exclusively since 2008, who belongs to the same bariatric surgical association as the VA doctor since 2008, who has written numerous medical articles, and who has1 single complication on all the VSG boards and Facebook groups I've read, he's a big concern. Whatever.

I think I'm going to contact the VA surgeon directly and get his take on things. Maybe since he's not American breed and born he doesn't believe in the fallacy that America is the only decent country and the rest of the world is subpar.

Wow, good for you! Stick to your guns and do what's best for you. It's more than obvious that you have done your research -- forget the VA person's negativity and do what you have to do!

Good Luck!

I agree i think you should do what is best for you. I went to mexico and i have lost 100 pounds in 5 and half months. I have no complications. I have had to get used to my new body, eating habits and the reflux. Thats about it. I would suggest talking to someone who has been to mexico for the sleeve. My ex girlfriend was the reason why i went, she didnt have any complications either. I was a self-pay i could not afford the us prices of 12-30k as opposed to the 4k that i paid in mexico and i was put up in a hotel for my entire stay, the food and Water and drinks were also free. All of my meds and aftercare were also free. There is a huge community of people who have had surgeries in Mexico who support each other. I wish you the best on your journey. Take care.

Thanks Mr. Dr. The Mexico/Self-pay board has been a God-send. I've decided to go with Dr. Lopez and my surgery is next week. I just wanted to follow-up with the VA program to make sure all my i's were dotted and my t's were crossed. If I had known I would get a hater, I wouldn't have bothered. Not that I'm against people expressing their concerns. I want to hear about their concerns because it may be something I haven't thought about. But to just disqualify it off the bat, without even knowing what procedure I was having done or asking any questions about my surgeon, is not what I expected of a medical professional. Ah well, I musts move on.

I agree i think you should do what is best for you. I went to Mexico and i have lost 100 pounds in 5 and half months. I have no complications. I have had to get used to my new body, eating habits and the reflux. Thats about it. I would suggest talking to someone who has been to mexico for the sleeve. My ex girlfriend was the reason why i went, she didnt have any complications either. I was a self-pay i could not afford the us prices of 12-30k as opposed to the 4k that i paid in mexico and i was put up in a hotel for my entire stay, the food and Water and drinks were also free. All of my meds and aftercare were also free. There is a huge community of people who have had surgeries in Mexico who support each other. I wish you the best on your journey. Take care.

Im glad this person didn't discourage you. For whatever reasons the VA MOVE coordinators seem to have negative attitudes toward bariatric surgery. I was given all the cons and few pros. Even in the health field there is a stigma attach to it. I'm at the VA Center in Dallas. I finished the teleMOVE program and it was hard to get someone to call me back. Finally I decided to do a walk in. Got another lady that was more forth coming and neutral. Maybe you should ask to speak to a different coordinator.

Yipee!! Someone else that's a vet. The coordinator isn't being discouraging about the surgery, she's over the bariatric program and gung ho for the surgery. She just wants me to have it through the VA and not in Mexico, which I can understand. She's done no research about my doctor, about the facility, or about others who have had the procedure there. The only experience my the VA bariatric surgeon has with Mexican surgeons is correcting their complications so he's really not thrilled about people having the procedure there. Which is again understandable. He never sees all the people who are fine. He only sees the ones that have complications. And he forgets that every surgeon has complications.

I spoke to the coordinator again today and she's still trying to convince me not to go. She wants me to do the move program, lost 5% of my weight, then have my PCP refer me to the coordinating surgeon in Columbia, then have that surgeon refer me to Charleston, where the surgery is performed. So after I lose 13 lbs in 6 months, not more cause if I drop below a bmi of 35, they won't do the surgery, I have to convince my PCP to refer me, then she has to convince the Columbia surgeon to refer me. Then, if all that is a go, I have to pass the psych eval when I have drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and sexual abuse in my past. That's just going to be lovely. So that's 3 opportunities to be denied the surgery after waiting 6 months to have it, plus another month or two for them to act on my request. OR I can just have my surgery this Wednesday coming and not jump through any hoops.

It's a hard choice, believe it or not. A part of me does want to have a program that follows me, and a doctor to call when I'm worried, and it would be awesome to save my money. $4500 isn't much but I really appreciate having it sitting in my savings account, just collecting interest and giving me peace of mind. Of course, I would normally spend 3/4th of that in 6 months eating out but there's something about dribbling the money away that feels ok when spending it all in one big chunk seems crazy.

I don't know. I look at what I was and what I am and to think of postponing my surgery for 8 months just to be told no? I don't know if I would be ok.

Here's a current pic of me (I'm the girl with the crazy big breasts):

Blog Picture _ Me and Tricia.jpg

Here's a pic of me in 2005 with my sons and my mom. I'm in the rust-colored dress:

Wedding Picture

I went from a average size woman to a severely obese woman in 8 years, mostly due to medication that's still affecting me. That's crazy to me. I don't want to live like this another year.

I didn't even ask my insurance company (BCBS). I just paid it myself. Actually, I have a brother who helped.

I didn't even want to go there, with all the commands and hoops.

Just get it done.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Where I'm at sone of the MOVE coordinators are also over the Bariatric program. I would've never thought to contact the VA Bariatric team If I was getting it done elsewhere. That's smart to let them know in case complications comes up.

Yea there is a lot of hoops to jump from. I also gained went from being average size to obese in 3 yrs. Mine was PTSD related and I got treatment at the VA Center. It worries me that I might get denied for psy reasons but there is no turning back now. Saving up to go elsewhere is not an option for me now but never say never. Can't wait to hear details about your trip and surgery once you get it done.