Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips to fight off craving and over eating needed

I get some pretty wicked cravings and have a hard time not giving into them. Like there's a bag of chips in my kitchen and I know where it is. I find my self talk starting to think of ways it's ok to cheat. How do you deal with this. I also find that boredom really brings on the hunger thoughts.

I have been fighting it this evening too you are not alone... I really wanted ice cream but ended up having 1/2 a super sweet Protein Shake and it killed my sweet tooth in a bad way so then I wanted something salty and I had a little 1% cottage cheese.I am we'll within my cals for today at least :/

I have to keep it out of the house. Otherwise I will just eventually eat it. That or I have my husband out it somewhere so I don't know where it is. Out if sight out of mind is huge for me but I know everyone is different. Best if luck!

I cannot keep any Snacks in the house, not even semi-responsible ones like Peanut Butter or cheese :( I also cannot keep cash lying around or change because I will find myself - almost against my will - using cash and change at work for the vending machine :( Until I get a few years at goal/maintenance under my belt I guess I am still like the fragile alcoholic who can't be around any reminders at first ...

I crave the salt snacks: chips, popcorn, Doritos. I don't buy them. If they are in the house, it will be so hard to ignore them.

But realistically, these are foods I am probably going to have in my lifetime. I think if you are going to have chips, you have to be accountable for them. For example, if you have a piece of chicken for lunch, definitely eat the Protein first. And then slowly....ever so slowly....nibble on a few chips. Make sure you count them toward your calorie and carb count for the day. Accept responsibility for them. Own up. I did this and found I could only eat 3 or 4, and was completely satisfied. And the counts were quite low. This was several weeks ago and I have not craved them since. For me, I'm afraid if I deny deny deny I may binge. But (again for me) that did not happen. i used the chips in a meal plan, and was satisfied. You will have to decide what is best for you. Just be careful that you are not giving yourslef permission to binge and disregard NUT advice. But I think if you are accountable and plan, most foods can be enjoyed. Even if it's a very small amount.

last night i took half a banana, 2 T of p b 2, 1cup of 1 percent milk..i use over the moon brand has high Calcium and protein....11 g p cup.......it's a delicious banana milkshake with 16 g of Protein without that too sweet cloying Protein Shake taste and i also add 1 T real maple Syrup for added sweetness. it's about 225 healthy calories and i make it thick with ice and eat it with a spoon. or, for just 45calories i east 2 T of p b 2 with a baby spoon....it takes a while to eat and it good that evening craving to snack.< /p>

I would go to the bag of chips, open it and dump it all in a mud puddle. Or put them in the trash and squirt Syrup all over them. Even if they're not mine. Better I put them in the garbage disposal than my body.

- I have as little junk food around as possible.

- If I have a horrible craving, I try to find a low cal way to satisfy it. For chocolate, I drink sugar free hot cocoa. For salty, I eat veggies with salt. For sugar, I drink artificially sweetened cold or hot drink.

- For boredom eating, I play a game to distract myself.

- For really bad craving, I tell myself I can have it later. Sometimes I tell myself later in the day, or later in the week, or when I am out - not at home. Often, when the time finally arrives, I no longer want whatever it was.

- I picture the food in the store and remind myself there is plenty for later. I do not have to eat it now.

- I buy myself something else, like a new book, new game, lipstick, or lotion.

Lynda

The first two months I didn't have any of my pre-op 'problem' foods (chips) in the house. Now I will buy the individual little bags for my husband and I am not interested in them at all. I have made Protein icecream using recipes from The World According to Eggface blog, and baked some mini Protein muffins. So when I want something sweet I just have a serving of the ice cream or two mini muffins.

Sometimes I will paint my fingernails if I'm bored - then I can't use my fingers for a while for them to dry. By then, any cravings I might have had have passed.

Good luck.

4 months post op, it's so easy to go back into old habits. I was eating mini candy bars like it was my job 2 weeks ago, and I said "that's it. they've got to go!" so I dropped them off at my work and put it in a bowl for everyone else to eat haha! luckily my bad eating hasn't made me gain weight, but I've only just maintained.

I find it best to just not have the stuff around at all. I've substituted potato chips for "food Should Taste Good" Multigrain tortilla chips and sprinkle those with fat free cheddar cheese and salsa (YUM!). They have plenty of Fiber and some Protein, though you have to watch the carbs if you go over one serving. and for my sweet tooth I buy those popsicle sugar free chocolate that have about 40 calories for one (but these have about 14 carbs for two if my memory serves me right)

When I really want something good, I buy these snack size weight watchers ice cream sandwiches. they're so tiny and perfect for our tummies and they really hit the spot when you want some "real" cheat foods. they're 80 calories, but have 18 carbs. plus 4 of them last me a whole month! kind of worth the steep price tag of about $5-6 for 4.

My NUT allows me to work certain things like that into my eating plan. I'm allowed 2 Snacks a day and if I wanted chips I could eat 1 oz and be fine. My NUT and psychiatrist believe in moderation and this helps keep my cravings away lol. If I tell myself that I can't have it then I crave it even more and will overeat on them, so for me knowing that I can eat them as a snack makes me feel better. My weakness is fruit snack gummies but I can have 1 pack for a snack (equals 70 cals). A calorie is a calorie is a calorie (twinkie diet). I would say 90% of the time I make healthy choices but I do fit in treats every now and then.

This is definitely the hardest part of any diet.

Here's some things that helped me.

For boredom- I have planned distractions. Knitting or crocheting something with a pattern to keep my mind focused and busy.

Clean something. A drawer, closet or cupboard. Go for a relaxing walk.

Or my personal favorite, I turn on music and dance around the house like a silly fool!

For a sweet craving- try frozen grapes. They are awesome! Other frozen fruits taste good too and freezing them seems to intensify their sweet

taste.

For a salt craving- I grab a green olive.

The kind in a jar. I suck on it for a while before I chew it up. They are super salty and olives actually have some good nutritional value as opposed to chips. Just don't over do. And yes you can "Eat Just One"!

For food triggers- I change the way I do things. For example I take an alternate route so I don't drive past all the fast food places.

I buy Snacks or sweets for my family that I don't really care for. My least favorites. Makes them much easier to resist.

I also rearranged my cupboards so I have my own healthy choice cupboard and I don't have to open one and see all my old "enemies"!

I DVR everything I watch on TV so I can Fast Forward through all the food commercials.

Hope these help! Good luck!!

They do have low carb ice cream. Found it at Walmart Made by Breyers 4 carbs per serving

[ATTACH]12160[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12159[/ATTACH]

post-34214-13813665173348_thumb.png

post-34214-13813665174003_thumb.png

If I crave something salty I eat David Sunflower Seeds in shells it gives me Protein without carbs it is high sodium but anything salty is and it has fat but I don't eat a ton and its not the bad fat.The shells make me take longer to eat them so I feel like I had a lot of food with just one serving :)