Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hope you are doing well, Niki. Please five us an update. Also I think your story could help the OP on this thread: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/288161-severe-gerd-and-severe-esophageal-spasms-18-months-post-op/

I pointed her here and suggested she get in touch with you, but her thread is currently a lot shorter so I hope you can peek in!

Hello, well I was doing a lot better but then I realized pretty quickly that my restriction had really gone down a lot so my weight loss surgeon scheduled an EGD with a balloon dilation for the 28th of this month. Then about a week ago I came down with a kidney stone about 10mm big. So yesterday I had to have shock wave surgery to knock it out...I guess I have to live with the fact that both of these are recurrent themes in my life now and will have to be dealt with from time to time. And the Addison's disease only makes the procedures worse because they have to give me boosters of steroids during the procedures to boost my blood pressure so it doesn't tank every time. And now that we've finally found what works, I actually got to come home after my surgery yesterday instead of having to stay an extra night! Yay me!

Hello, well I was doing a lot better but then I realized pretty quickly that my restriction had really gone down a lot so my weight loss surgeon scheduled an EGD with a balloon dilation for the 28th of this month. Then about a week ago I came down with a kidney stone about 10mm big. So yesterday I had to have shock wave surgery to knock it out...I guess I have to live with the fact that both of these are recurrent themes in my life now and will have to be dealt with from time to time. And the Addison's disease only makes the procedures worse because they have to give me boosters of steroids during the procedures to boost my blood pressure so it doesn't tank every time. And now that we've finally found what works, I actually got to come home after my surgery yesterday instead of having to stay an extra night! Yay me!

Wow if it's not one thing it's another. :(

Ugh! Sorry about that, but YAY for not having to stay the night. It's the little things sometimes that make us so happy!

I just read this whole thread, wow Nikki you are a very strong woman and I'm so so glad things are going better for you!

Lisa, I'm having the same problems you are and I responded to another thread by you on a different site. I'm having severe esophageal spasms and have had multiple hospitalizations, lots of barium swallows, and dilations. Nothing has fixed the problem and I'm 1.5 years post-op. I also haven't lost any weight because the only thing I manage to keep down is ice cream and pudding...talk about depressing. (Just want to add that it's nothing compared to what you went through Nikki, I kind of feel bad for even complaining since you had things so so much worse) My surgeon wants to put in a stent but says that 70-80% of people can't tolerate the pain it causes so that makes me nervous. The next step is a revision to a bypass but at this point I'm not even that against going with that option. Eating is next to impossible because of the severe spasms and the reflux. My main question is, how is the revision going to stop the spasms? As far as I'm aware, the cardiac sphincter connecting your esophagus to your stomach is still in place with the bypass so while the reflux would be gone, would the spasms go away too? So, is it the reflux causing the spasms or the spasms causing the reflux? I'm not sure what I'm going to do. He wants to put the stent in next week but I'm considering skipping that and going straight for the revision if that will actually fix the spasms, plus it might give me the weight loss that I was originally seeking.

I'd love an update on you Lisa and Nikki. Hope you both are feeling better!

I just read this whole thread, wow Nikki you are a very strong woman and I'm so so glad things are going better for you!

Lisa, I'm having the same problems you are and I responded to another thread by you on a different site. I'm having severe esophageal spasms and have had multiple hospitalizations, lots of barium swallows, and dilations. Nothing has fixed the problem and I'm 1.5 years post-op. I also haven't lost any weight because the only thing I manage to keep down is ice cream and pudding...talk about depressing. (Just want to add that it's nothing compared to what you went through Nikki, I kind of feel bad for even complaining since you had things so so much worse) My surgeon wants to put in a stent but says that 70-80% of people can't tolerate the pain it causes so that makes me nervous. The next step is a revision to a bypass but at this point I'm not even that against going with that option. Eating is next to impossible because of the severe spasms and the reflux. My main question is, how is the revision going to stop the spasms? As far as I'm aware, the cardiac sphincter connecting your esophagus to your stomach is still in place with the bypass so while the reflux would be gone, would the spasms go away too? So, is it the reflux causing the spasms or the spasms causing the reflux? I'm not sure what I'm going to do. He wants to put the stent in next week but I'm considering skipping that and going straight for the revision if that will actually fix the spasms, plus it might give me the weight loss that I was originally seeking.

I sent you a message Becky before reading this I wouldn't go for the stent. I think they are saying that since the spasms are caused from GERD and bile reflux that bypassing it will stop it. But still, ulcers are a real problem with bypass patients and most don't know they have it. I'm so tired of all of this and I don't know what to do. Please keep me informed if you have surgery! I would really like to follow you especially since we go to the same place!

Still taking care of my husband with terminal cancer and my spasms are worse. I've been in a "hell" for 4 months! Heart broken!!

I sent you a message Becky before reading this I wouldn't go for the stent. I think they are saying that since the spasms are caused from GERD and bile reflux that bypassing it will stop it. But still, ulcers are a real problem with bypass patients and most don't know they have it. I'm so tired of all of this and I don't know what to do. Please keep me informed if you have surgery! I would really like to follow you especially since we go to the same place!

Still taking care of my husband with terminal cancer and my spasms are worse. I've been in a "hell" for 4 months! Heart broken!!

I responded to your message and did confirm after more research that the reflux is causing the spasms and by eliminating the reflux the spasms would ideally stop. I'm not going to let them put the stent in and am going to demand the bypass. I'll keep you posted and do agree that we need to meet and stay in touch!

Hope your hubby is having a good day, cherish those :)

Hello, everyone! I have posted previously in this thread about my horrible reflux since my sleeve surgery July 2012.

I finally had the barium X-ray last week & am now sitting here with a Bravo monitor that was placed yesterday. I kept putting these tests off because they are so awful to do & I wasn't sure I wanted to go thru bypass surgey.

Well, the Prilosec & Zantac that I have been taking daily for almost 2 years seems to not be working. I see the surgeon 5/15, so will know then if I can get a revision to bypass..

I NEVER had reflux when I was overweight & I would eat lots of junk!! Im also lactose intolerant now so it is difficult for me to eat. The good thing is I now weigh 122 lbs!! However, I would give anything to be able to eat fruit, veggies, salad once in awhile ! Maybe even enjoy an ice cream cone!

Take care!!

Hello, everyone! I have posted previously in this thread about my horrible reflux since my sleeve surgery July 2012.

I finally had the barium X-ray last week & am now sitting here with a Bravo monitor that was placed yesterday. I kept putting these tests off because they are so awful to do & I wasn't sure I wanted to go thru bypass surgey.

Well, the Prilosec & Zantac that I have been taking daily for almost 2 years seems to not be working. I see the surgeon 5/15, so will know then if I can get a revision to bypass..

I NEVER had reflux when I was overweight & I would eat lots of junk!! Im also lactose intolerant now so it is difficult for me to eat. The good thing is I now weigh 122 lbs!! However, I would give anything to be able to eat fruit, veggies, salad once in awhile ! Maybe even enjoy an ice cream cone!

Take care!!

Sorry you are going through this LuLugirl. It really is so hard.

With me I still can eat but have the spasms so bad so painful.

Good luck with your appointment. I hope you can get relief. Keep us informed. My 2 year appointment is 6/18 but my surgeversary is May 21. I'm hoping to find out what I can do as well. I know I don't want the bypass but I don't think there is any other way.

Hello, everyone! I have posted previously in this thread about my horrible reflux since my sleeve surgery July 2012. I finally had the barium X-ray last week & am now sitting here with a Bravo monitor that was placed yesterday. I kept putting these tests off because they are so awful to do & I wasn't sure I wanted to go thru bypass surgey. Well, the Prilosec & Zantac that I have been taking daily for almost 2 years seems to not be working. I see the surgeon 5/15, so will know then if I can get a revision to bypass.. I NEVER had reflux when I was overweight & I would eat lots of junk!! Im also lactose intolerant now so it is difficult for me to eat. The good thing is I now weigh 122 lbs!! However, I would give anything to be able to eat fruit, veggies, salad once in awhile ! Maybe even enjoy an ice cream cone! Take care!!

You may see if they can give you Nexium. It's expensive so not all insurance covers it but if your doctor deems it medically needed that would help. I like Nexium for acid way better than Protonix and Prilosec and Zantac and if those aren't working it is logical to try something else. Good luck with the appointment!

I have an appointment on Monday to schedule my revision. I'll keep you guys updated and most likely start a new thread with my whole experience. I guess someone has to be the guinea pig and I need a permanent fix so I'm going to volunteer! Hopefully I have a good experience and it helps you guys decide what's best for your future!

Hello, everyone! I have posted previously in this thread about my horrible reflux since my sleeve surgery July 2012. I finally had the barium X-ray last week & am now sitting here with a Bravo monitor that was placed yesterday. I kept putting these tests off because they are so awful to do & I wasn't sure I wanted to go thru bypass surgey. Well, the Prilosec & Zantac that I have been taking daily for almost 2 years seems to not be working. I see the surgeon 5/15, so will know then if I can get a revision to bypass.. I NEVER had reflux when I was overweight & I would eat lots of junk!! Im also lactose intolerant now so it is difficult for me to eat. The good thing is I now weigh 122 lbs!! However, I would give anything to be able to eat fruit, veggies, salad once in awhile ! Maybe even enjoy an ice cream cone! Take care!!

You may see if they can give you Nexium. It's expensive so not all insurance covers it but if your doctor deems it medically needed that would help. I like Nexium for acid way better than Protonix and Prilosec and Zantac and if those aren't working it is logical to try something else. Good luck with the appointment!

I have an appointment on Monday to schedule my revision. I'll keep you guys updated and most likely start a new thread with my whole experience. I guess someone has to be the guinea pig and I need a permanent fix so I'm going to volunteer! Hopefully I have a good experience and it helps you guys decide what's best for your future!

Ok, I am now scheduled 7/18 for a revision to gastric bypass! Im scared to have another surgey but I don't want to live with this reflex anymore. Also Im hoping I won't have an issue with my insurance company..Should know soon.

Hi@lulugirl. I just had a revision from the sleeve to a bypass on 5/16. I too chose to do another surgery because of my horrid reflux. Are you 122 lbs now? Are you nervous about excessive wight loss? What were you told by your surgeon? I look forward to hearing from you!

Hi everyone,

I'm glad I found this thread.

I'm 11 months out from the sleeve, and have overall had a good experience. I have been having some chest pain and burning in my esophagus, but nothing really extreme (no vomiting, choking etc.). I had an endoscopy yesterday just to see what is going on, and they told me that I have severe reflux that had eroded some of my esophagus, and that I also have developed Barrett's Esophagus. Obviously this is very alarming to me because I had very little to no reflux before the sleeve, and all the sudden in 11 months I have a precancerous condition. I also have some mystery polyps that they are biopsying.

My doctor has told me that I should think about sleeve revision to bypass, and I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole thing. On the one hand, I don't feel like my quality of life has decreased from these issues, but on the other hand I am terrified of getting Esophageal cancer and feel like developing Barrett's this quickly isn't a great sign (as an FYI I am 26, so that's a lot of years left for acid to make things worse).

I guess I'm just looking for input on what you would do in my situation. It's hard to find people who get this kind of choice.

Thanks in advance, and I admire everyone on this thread for persevering through these complications.

Also, a quick follow up that complicates things a bit, I currently work oversees so I'm trying to make this decision remotely since there's only an 8 week period of time I'll be back in the States in late November that I'd have to have the revision done in. It would also be with a different surgeon. Just trying to provide context for why this is so daunting. Thanks again everyone.