Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I'm not the doctor nor do I know all of what was done to me exactly but this is what the surgeon said yesterday (and i wish i could show you the picture he drew to demonstrate). He went in and divided my sleeved stomach into two portions: a much smaller (and really small considering they already did the sleeve) upper portion, and then a larger lower portion where the pyloric valve and all the acid making portions of the stomach are. He then resected some of my intestines and attached it to my smaller upper stomach, which they call a pouch, by stapling. Then the acid making portion of my stomach (this is really layman's terms cuz I don't know any other way) which is the lower part still is connected to my intestines where it was orginially making the acid empty down into my intestines and not go up into my esophagus where it was before with the reflux, and heartburn, indigestion and whatnot.

I don't know if this helped explain any or not but that's how it was explained to my husband and I.

Ok I'm not the doctor nor do I know all of what was done to me exactly but this is what the surgeon said yesterday (and i wish i could show you the picture he drew to demonstrate). He went in and divided my sleeved stomach into two portions: a much smaller (and really small considering they already did the sleeve) upper portion' date=' and then a larger lower portion where the pyloric valve and all the acid making portions of the stomach are. He then resected some of my intestines and attached it to my smaller upper stomach, which they call a pouch, by stapling. Then the acid making portion of my stomach (this is really layman's terms cuz I don't know any other way) which is the lower part still is connected to my intestines where it was orginially making the acid empty down into my intestines and not go up into my esophagus where it was before with the reflux, and heartburn, indigestion and whatnot.

I don't know if this helped explain any or not but that's how it was explained to my husband and I.[/quote']

That's what I was trying to say too but I was in a hurry at the time, and you explained it much better. If anyone wants to understand, just go and find a picture of the Roux en Y.

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that stomach acid was primarily produced in the lower half of the stomach.

I love/need to understand things - drove my teachers nuts at school.

Hi all. Looks like I'm one of the very few with complications. I stopped losing weight at 6 months. I was up 4 days a week at the gym at 5am, eating healthy and still, nothing happened. My surgeon and nut were stumped and we did an intensive 6 week study. I saw him weekly, as well as my nut and we tried everything...raising calorie amt, lowering them, etc. nothing. Finally we did a ct scan and discovered a stricture. Top of my stomach healed too tightly and my stomach created a type of side pouch it seems so basically I could get down much more than I should. And that's the main reason I had the surgery!! I couldn't get full and now even with the surgery, same thing was happening. We did an endoscopy this week and not only saw the stricture up close but also discovered after filling up my sleeve with air, that my stomach is extremely thick and elastic and it was heavily dilated. So, I'm facing a revision to gastric bypass on the 16th. 11 months to the day that I had the sleeve surgery. I'm devastated.

Hi all. Looks like I'm one of the very few with complications. I stopped losing weight at 6 months. I was up 4 days a week at the gym at 5am' date=' eating healthy and still, nothing happened. My surgeon and nut were stumped and we did an intensive 6 week study. I saw him weekly, as well as my nut and we tried everything...raising calorie amt, lowering them, etc. nothing. Finally we did a ct scan and discovered a stricture. Top of my stomach healed too tightly and my stomach created a type of side pouch it seems so basically I could get down much more than I should. And that's the main reason I had the surgery!! I couldn't get full and now even with the surgery, same thing was happening. We did an endoscopy this week and not only saw the stricture up close but also discovered after filling up my sleeve with air, that my stomach is extremely thick and elastic and it was heavily dilated. So, I'm facing a revision to gastric bypass on the 16th. 11 months to the day that I had the sleeve surgery. I'm devastated.[/quote']

If you have any questions or need a buddy thru your ordeal, let me know...I'm way past my goal weight where I'm afraid to lose any more weight but I can help you answer any other questions you might have...how much weight total did you lose the first surgery? I'm sorry you're going thru all of this, I really know how it all feels. I had a stricture too but it was much sooner than yours and I had 4 other operations before we finally resorted to the bypass. Anyway let me know if you need a buddy!

If you have any questions or need a buddy thru your ordeal' date=' let me know...I'm way past my goal weight where I'm afraid to lose any more weight but I can help you answer any other questions you might have...how much weight total did you lose the first surgery? I'm sorry you're going thru all of this, I really know how it all feels. I had a stricture too but it was much sooner than yours and I had 4 other operations before we finally resorted to the bypass. Anyway let me know if you need a buddy![/quote']

Thank you. Only lost 24 lbs since surgery which was October 15. 15 pounds before it. I just want it all over with already!!! I'm so sorry you had to go through all you did. Hopefully just this one more surgery will be it for me. But knowing my luck, who knows?

If you have any questions or need a buddy thru your ordeal' date=' let me know...I'm way past my goal weight where I'm afraid to lose any more weight but I can help you answer any other questions you might have...how much weight total did you lose the first surgery? I'm sorry you're going thru all of this, I really know how it all feels. I had a stricture too but it was much sooner than yours and I had 4 other operations before we finally resorted to the bypass. Anyway let me know if you need a buddy![/quote']

I would LOVE a buddy. How drastic was the difference for u? Did foods make you sick at all? Did you experience dumping? My sleeve was pretty easy.,.no dumping and nothing made sick.

I would LOVE a buddy. How drastic was the difference for u? Did foods make you sick at all? Did you experience dumping? My sleeve was pretty easy.' date='.no dumping and nothing made sick.[/quote']

Well I had lost 70 pounds after my sleeve in December, but I had many complications which resulted in 7 procedures/surgeries in 7 months ranging from a hematoma to strictures to hernias to balloon dilations before my surgeon decided to go to the drastic bypass in August. I also had extreme GERD/reflux the entire time I had the sleeve which I had never experienced before the sleeve which caused me to throw up at least 3-4 times a week so it was causing some malnutrition . I never experienced any dumping and so far with the bypass I haven't either. And I've only thrown up once since I've had the bypass and it didn't feel good at all! I think I ate too fast or had one bite too many...not sure. Since the bypass I've lost another 15 pounds, which is 8 pounds past my goal weight so I don't want to lose any more.

I'll be glad to be here for ya throughout your surgery and after so let me know what you need and what questions you have or whenever you just need to talk!

Well I had lost 70 pounds after my sleeve in December' date=' but I had many complications which resulted in 7 procedures/surgeries in 7 months ranging from a hematoma to strictures to hernias to balloon dilations before my surgeon decided to go to the drastic bypass in August. I also had extreme GERD/reflux the entire time I had the sleeve which I had never experienced before the sleeve which caused me to throw up at least 3-4 times a week so it was causing some malnutrition . I never experienced any dumping and so far with the bypass I haven't either. And I've only thrown up once since I've had the bypass and it didn't feel good at all! I think I ate too fast or had one bite too many...not sure. Since the bypass I've lost another 15 pounds, which is 8 pounds past my goal weight so I don't want to lose any more.

I'll be glad to be here for ya throughout your surgery and after so let me know what you need and what questions you have or whenever you just need to talk![/quote']

What a nightmare you've been through. I feel foolish for my whining!! I appreciate your support and will definitely be in touch.

I also have severe reflux & need to take Prilosec & Zantec dailey. Had sleeve done July 2012 in Mexico & have had difficulty eating & drinking since then! Also got a C Diff infection & was hospitalized twice last year for it. I ended up seeing an infectious disease doc & finally tested negative for C Diff in Dec 2012..I have had an EGD with dilation & the surgeon I saw last year in the United States wanted me to do an EGD with a bravo monitor.. She discussed that I may need to convert to a gastric bypass.. Anyway I kept putting the second EGD off because I was dealing with the C diff issue & had missed a lot of work! I cant stand this reflux, vomiting everyday.. & Im also lactose intolerant now! I have an appt with the surgeon tomorrow to discuss any options I may have.. So far my insurance has covered everything that was done last year, no issues.. I was self pay for sleeve in Mexico. Glad to read about this issue in this forum! I am happy with my weight loss, just tired of vomiting daily..

I also have severe reflux & need to take Prilosec & Zantec dailey. Had sleeve done July 2012 in Mexico & have had difficulty eating & drinking since then! Also got a C Diff infection & was hospitalized twice last year for it. I ended up seeing an infectious disease doc & finally tested negative for C Diff in Dec 2012..I have had an EGD with dilation & the surgeon I saw last year in the United States wanted me to do an EGD with a bravo monitor.. She discussed that I may need to convert to a gastric bypass.. Anyway I kept putting the second EGD off because I was dealing with the C diff issue & had missed a lot of work! I cant stand this reflux' date=' vomiting everyday.. & Im also lactose intolerant now! I have an appt with the surgeon tomorrow to discuss any options I may have.. So far my insurance has covered everything that was done last year, no issues.. I was self pay for sleeve in Mexico. Glad to read about this issue in this forum! I am happy with my weight loss, just tired of vomiting daily..[/quote']

I feel your pain and know exactly what you're going thru except for the c diff other than my mom had that once and got really septic...it was bad news! Let me know what the surgeon says tomorrow and if I can be of any help or you have any questions about any of this let me know, I'll be here for ya!

Nailsbyinki, how are you going post bypass? I am scared to consider this at present but my reflux is sooo fierce and the pain is hard to bear. I feel completely burnt throughout my throat, oesophagus and stomach. Still waiting to see the dr...

Nailsbyinki' date=' how are you going post bypass? I am scared to consider this at present but my reflux is sooo fierce and the pain is hard to bear. I feel completely burnt throughout my throat, oesophagus and stomach. Still waiting to see the dr...[/quote']

Hi Susan...not doing great...well acid reflux is awesome, none at all!!!, but I've been to the hospital every week since my bypass surgery for dehydration and this week the dr has said that he thinks I have an ulcer. But since I am only 5 weeks out, we cannot do an EGD yet to confirm that, until next week. So again I am on double the dexilant, and every time I eat or drink a Protein shake I get completely bloated, like I am pregnant, and it burns like fire in my belly right above my belly button. I'm also all the way down to 130 already and dreading any more weight loss. I don't want to eat another bite cuz it hurts so bad...but dr tells me to wait until the dexilant kicks in. Of course it never worked for my acid reflux either. :(. I don't know I guess I'll wait until next week when they can do the EGD.

I'm so sorry to hear about your reflux...and pain...I certainly know what you're going thru! Please get to the dr and let me know what he says! Take care and keep me posted!

Hi Susan...not doing great...

I'm so sorry to hear that. Some just sail through this op - and until recently I'd thought I was one of those - and others really struggle, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it.

Why do you have to wait 5 weeks for the EGD? Is that an insurance requirement or a medical recommendation? Insurance is v different in Aus to USA so I don't get all the details of your system.

At least if your reflux/acid is reduced your ulcer shouldn't get worse, and will perhaps have a chance to heal. Is that right?

I have made an appt with my surgeon for Monday and am hoping to get some answers then. Perhaps different meds will help too. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Some just sail through this op - and until recently I'd thought I was one of those - and others really struggle' date=' and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. Why do you have to wait 5 weeks for the EGD? Is that an insurance requirement or a medical recommendation? Insurance is v different in Aus to USA so I don't get all the details of your system. At least if your reflux/acid is reduced your ulcer shouldn't get worse, and will perhaps have a chance to heal. Is that right? I have made an appt with my surgeon for Monday and am hoping to get some answers then. Perhaps different meds will help too. I'll let you know how it goes.[/quote']

I have to wait 6 weeks to do the EGD for medical reasons...so they don't perforate anything and because they needed the healing time. I hope it's right about the acid being reduced to help the ulcer but I don't know because it sure is burning.

I look forward to hearing from you after your appt on Monday to see if you get some answers! Let me know!