Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so nervous now....being in the tiny percentage of people that just happen to have something go wrong all the time is weighing hard on my mind right now! My surgery for the bypass is on Friday...I weigh 141 at the moment...don't really want to lose too much more weight...and I'm terrified of the risks of this surgery. My doctor said he's done 4000 or so sleeves and I'm the only one he'll have to revise to a bypass....ugh! What if something goes terribly wrong?

I'm so sorry you have to go through all this! I was terrified to get the sleeve initially (back in May) because I have had horrible reflux for the last several years. I understand the feeling of waking up choking and gasping for breath. I was sure I would end up with serious lung problems from aspirating on acid! My surgeon warned me that reflux may get worse after the sleeve. But he also repaired my hiatial hernia (I didn't know I had one) with my sleeve and I've had zero reflux since. Recently I've noticed that I get a little heartburn when I eat spicy foods, but I either avoid them or take tums after.

I'm so nervous now....being in the tiny percentage of people that just happen to have something go wrong all the time is weighing hard on my mind right now! My surgery for the bypass is on Friday...I weigh 141 at the moment...don't really want to lose too much more weight...and I'm terrified of the risks of this surgery. My doctor said he's done 4000 or so sleeves and I'm the only one he'll have to revise to a bypass....ugh! What if something goes terribly wrong?

I understand your fear, you've already had the "what if's" happen to you.. So it must be doubly scary this time around doing a surgery that, for some of us was even more extreme than the sleeve...

Have you talked with the surgeon about the ramifications of having bypass at such a low weight?

I'm so sorry you have to go through all this! I was terrified to get the sleeve initially (back in May) because I have had horrible reflux for the last several years. I understand the feeling of waking up choking and gasping for breath. I was sure I would end up with serious lung problems from aspirating on acid! My surgeon warned me that reflux may get worse after the sleeve. But he also repaired my hiatial hernia (I didn't know I had one) with my sleeve and I've had zero reflux since. Recently I've noticed that I get a little heartburn when I eat spicy foods' date=' but I either avoid them or take tums after.[/quote']

I'm glad your reflux is under control! I also had two different hernia repairs, a myotomy surgery and 3 balloon dilations in addition to eating tums like candy...all to no avail so that's why I'm having the surgery....ugh! So glad yours is better!!

I understand your fear' date=' you've already had the "what if's" happen to you.. So it must be doubly scary this time around doing a surgery that, for some of us was even more extreme than the sleeve...

Have you talked with the surgeon about the ramifications of having bypass at such a low weight?

[/quote']

Yes Laura, we've talked about it but that's why I'm so scared! He's told me its even more important than ever to get all my Protein in and all my supplements...and to do everything diet restriction wise by the book because of the chance of blowing out the staples and all...he really kinda scared me this time around...unfortunately it's just that we've tried everything else under the sun and this is it! This is the last ditch effort to keep me from having the worst acid reflux ever....last night was probably my worst night since this whole thing started....can't keep anything down!!!

I'm so sorry to hear this.... I really hope that this second surgery will be the fix that you need..

I also feel that you shouldn't leave us afterwards you are still a sleever in my book.

I'm so sorry to hear this.... I really hope that this second surgery will be the fix that you need..

I also feel that you shouldn't leave us afterwards you are still a sleever in my book.

Thanks for that, Laura, you have no idea what your posts, ideas, encouragements, advice, etc., have meant to me this past 7 months or so! I would love to stay on!

My surgeon/office is a bariatric center of excellence. The only one is Orlando, and he is a very smart guy. I have had GERD and been on prescription meds for 9 years. He had me do manometry before he would agree to the sleeve. If that upper esophageal sphincter is weak, you are going to have problems because the new tummy is tight and you have increased pressure on it. My sphincter was fine, so he agreed to the sleeve. In my case, even in 3 weeks post, I can tell my reflux is better. Bypass should cure your reflux and is always the surgery he does for anyone with problems. He has had to do revisions for this reason and reports excellent outcomes. I know it sucks to have another surgery, but what a relief to be done with this. Reflux is not only painful, but can have some really bad outcomes if you don't get it under control. As a speech pathologist is a nursing home I see these effects first hand. You can develop terrible swallowing problems (dysphagia), you can aspirate the reflux, especially at night, resulting in an infection that will just eat your lungs up, and you can develop esophageal ulcerations, Barret's Esophagus, and ultimately esophageal cancer. It's a terrible way to go. So, as much as you hate this, you absolutely need it, your doctor is giving you correct and clinically sound advice Nd it should completely cute your problems. Once you aren't having the lining of your upper digestive tract burned off, you should have a MUCH easier time getting in your Vitamins, Proteins, and all the good nutrition you need. You are going to be a new woman after this.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

My surgeon/office is a bariatric center of excellence. The only one is Orlando, and he is a very smart guy. I have had GERD and been on prescription meds for 9 years. He had me do manometry before he would agree to the sleeve. If that upper esophageal sphincter is weak, you are going to have problems because the new tummy is tight and you have increased pressure on it. My sphincter was fine, so he agreed to the sleeve. In my case, even in 3 weeks post, I can tell my reflux is better. Bypass should cure your reflux and is always the surgery he does for anyone with problems. He has had to do revisions for this reason and reports excellent outcomes. I know it sucks to have another surgery, but what a relief to be done with this. Reflux is not only painful, but can have some really bad outcomes if you don't get it under control. As a speech pathologist is a nursing home I see these effects first hand. You can develop terrible swallowing problems (dysphagia), you can aspirate the reflux, especially at night, resulting in an infection that will just eat your lungs up, and you can develop esophageal ulcerations, Barret's Esophagus, and ultimately esophageal cancer. It's a terrible way to go. So, as much as you hate this, you absolutely need it, your doctor is giving you correct and clinically sound advice Nd it should completely cute your problems. Once you aren't having the lining of your upper digestive tract burned off, you should have a MUCH easier time getting in your Vitamins, Proteins, and all the good nutrition you need. You are going to be a new woman after this.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Thank you sooooo much for the positive post. I really needed to hear this! I appreciate your comments greatly and am glad I posted this morning to hear from you and Laura today! I know I really need the surgery, I'm just so nervous so it's nice to get some positive feedback. Thank you so much!

I know your going in tomorrow.. I just wanted to wish you luck.

Thanks Laura! I will try to post again after surgery as soon as I can. I'm so nervous I'm sick to my stomach, but thanks for the good luck wishes! :)

Thanks Laura! I will try to post again after surgery as soon as I can. I'm so nervous I'm sick to my stomach' date=' but thanks for the good luck wishes! :)[/quote']

I know your nervous, but you will probably feel so much better. Try and get some rest tonight :)

Hello all...I am scheduled for a gastric sleeve revision to gastric bypass tomorrow because of extreme gerd/reflux and every other option has not worked. I was sleeved originally December 13' date=' 2012, have lost 58.6 pounds and have had several complications/procedures done since then.

I'm looking for someone else who's had a revision to a bypass and not by choice but by lack of other options.[/quote']

I have a question. So if you are having problems with GERD and reflux, your stomach opening is not reversible. You are still going to have that issue I'm guessing. How is the RNY going to help with that?

I have a question. So if you are having problems with GERD and reflux' date=' your stomach opening is not reversible. You are still going to have that issue I'm guessing. How is the RNY going to help with that?[/quote']

Because the stomach acid gets mixed with the food in the intestine, rather than the stomach.