Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all...I am scheduled for a gastric sleeve revision to gastric bypass tomorrow because of extreme gerd/reflux and every other option has not worked. I was sleeved originally December 13, 2012, have lost 58.6 pounds and have had several complications/procedures done since then.

I'm looking for someone else who's had a revision to a bypass and not by choice but by lack of other options.

Just wondering what other complications you have had. I had my sleeve July 2012 and I have this burning in my stomach on the right side. I have acid reflux and i have been on meds for it from the beginging.

Right after surgery I had a large hematoma so they did a repair/surgery on that and sent me home after 4 days in the hospital with a drain for another week.

Then about 6 weeks later I had an EGD with a balloon dilation for a stricture and thats about when the onset of the reflux/gerd started, although I had been on dexilant since the original surgery. They then switched me to aciphex.

Then last Friday, after 3 months of constant complaining about the reflux and changing my meds again to Nexium and taking Tums/Rolaids like candy, they did another EGD and balloon dilation and put me on all liquids to see if my symptoms subsided...which they did not.

So after a long conversation with my Dr. about this today we will be doing surgery tomorrow for the revision.

Regarding the pain, my pain is in my stomach, like fire, and in my throat, and I am throwing up about 3-4 times a week. Plus every night I wake up or can't sleep from the feeling that it's all coming back up my throat...sorry if this is too much information, but I don't have any pain on my right side...

Wow, I'm so sorry you're having a difficult experience! I hope your surgery goes well and you make a quick recovery and a relief of troublesome symptoms!

Oh wow - I'm also sorry to hear that you've had these complications.

Why do they think a bypass is going to relieve it? I would think the issues are caused because of your reduced stomach size, and bypass isn't going to change that. Just curious why this is the option to resolve the gerd...

Oh wow - I'm also sorry to hear that you've had these complications.

Why do they think a bypass is going to relieve it? I would think the issues are caused because of your reduced stomach size, and bypass isn't going to change that. Just curious why this is the option to resolve the gerd...

I am researching as much as I can on this subject as we speak, but as I've read so far, "gastric bypass is an anti-reflux surgery and in many cases can cure GERD". And in many cases when you mention that you have had reflux (which in my case I never did until I had the sleeve surgery) surgeons will persuade against doing the sleeve and recommend the bypass for that reason alone.

Wow, I'm so sorry you're having a difficult experience! I hope your surgery goes well and you make a quick recovery and a relief of troublesome symptoms!

Thank you so much!

I am researching as much as I can on this subject as we speak, but as I've read so far, "gastric bypass is an anti-reflux surgery and in many cases can cure GERD". And in many cases when you mention that you have had reflux (which in my case I never did until I had the sleeve surgery) surgeons will persuade against doing the sleeve and recommend the bypass for that reason alone.

I see, I didn't realize that the bypass was a cure for gerd, but I've never suffered from it so it isn't something I've looked into, either. It's got me worried because I haven't had gerd issues before either!

I appreciate the info, I really, really hope that the bypass is a success for you.

im so sorry to hear this ive had issues with acid reflux before surgery but now it is minimal for me infact i havent had any. i hope all goes well with your gastric bypass.

Thanks so much for the well wishes and I hope you both continued success!

Right after surgery I had a large hematoma so they did a repair/surgery on that and sent me home after 4 days in the hospital with a drain for another week.

Then about 6 weeks later I had an EGD with a balloon dilation for a stricture and thats about when the onset of the reflux/gerd started, although I had been on dexilant since the original surgery. They then switched me to aciphex.

Then last Friday, after 3 months of constant complaining about the reflux and changing my meds again to Nexium and taking Tums/Rolaids like candy, they did another EGD and balloon dilation and put me on all liquids to see if my symptoms subsided...which they did not.

So after a long conversation with my Dr. about this today we will be doing surgery tomorrow for the revision.

Regarding the pain, my pain is in my stomach, like fire, and in my throat, and I am throwing up about 3-4 times a week. Plus every night I wake up or can't sleep from the feeling that it's all coming back up my throat...sorry if this is too much information, but I don't have any pain on my right side...

You have my prayers & I wish you the best from tomorrow on out. Please keep us updated!

Hi nailsbyniki, how did the bypass surgery go? My sleeve was made too small because of surgical error. My doc is considering a number of options--one being bypass. I'm very nervous about that idea.

Well my insurance company would not approve the bypass revision because I'm only 5 months out from my sleeve surgery and only 6 pounds from my (and my doctors) weight loss goal. So they opted to do the original hiatal hernia surgery with a myotomy (they split my stomach muscle in two) where it was narrow and the two previous dilations I had we're unsuccessful. I am now 3 1/2 weeks recovered from that surgery and very unhappy to report that my GERD/reflux is back in full force, even threw up again last night. I did an upper GI swallow test last Thursday and it showed the reflux and that my stomach isn't emptying like it should so I'm back on reglan on addition to the dexilant I've been taking for the reflux. I go back to the dr June 13 and am very very frustrated!

I have not been sleeved yet, but, I have gerd. It has also been so bad that I would wake up coughing and unable to breathe. I hope that your dr. finds a solution that you (and your insurance co.) can live with, happily.

I have had similar issues, although after my myotomy my acid problems have pretty much gone away, I am 9 weeks from original sleeve surgery and 5 weeks from the second surgery,( myotomy). I am down 102 lbs in 9 weeks. But that is because I cannot eat anything, even in small amounts. They. Are considering that bypass revision is where I need to go due to constant stomach pain and nausea.

They said insurance would not be an issue for the revision because of the medical need. I don't know. I guess we'll see.