Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz NOT in Newsweek Magazine

Just fyi for those searching, Dr. Ariel Ortiz was NEVER featured in Newsweek magazine as a top surgeon in America for 2011. It's all over his site and he did a Youtube video about it and it's not true.

He was feartured as a top surgeon in Newsweek Showcase, an advertising site that has nothing to do with Newsweek Magazine. Basically you can pay to use them and then claim you were in "Newsweek." Ugghh!

And he wasn't "featured" on Oprah. The show was on drastic steps parents are taking to help their teens lose weight. One of his patients - a 13-year old - was on Oprah to discuss having a lapband done in Mexico. US doctors won't touch a child that young. He was in the audience. How the freak is that being featured?

I'm not saying the man isn't a good surgeon. He has good and bad reviews, mostly good I think, so it is what it is but he's not into full disclosure and I don't respect that.

PS If you love him, that is awesome. Doesn't change the fact that he stretches the truth till it freaking sings.

Newsweek also does that with U.S. doctors and a lot of them say they were "in Newsweek." They just don't mention that it was in an advertising supplement. I think you do have to meet certain minimum standards for them to include you.

Almost all products claim to be featured in "big named mag" ...they just don't mention it's a paid feature aka advertising

That's really disingenuous :(

He did my surgery just fine. Still has legit medical certifications at a Center of Excellence that you can verify.

I knew going in the Newsweek thing is advertising tool. There are a lot of docs that use the Newsweek thing for advertising...why not shame on Newsweek?. You have to do your due diligence selecting a surgeon in Mexico or anywhere for that matter.

It's like showing up in Mexico for surgery only to find out that the "hospital" isn't what we would consider a hospital at all. Got to do the homework up front to be sure what you are getting.

Many surgeons claim this stuff. Featured on Oprah? Now that is funny.

That's why I don't believe their near 0% complication rate and 0% death rate either. Statistics tell the truth.

And yes, do your homework! Like you said its not saying they are bad surgeons, but the sleeve biz in Mexico is cut throat with the advertising and coordinators. One of the reasons I chose someone who is busy through word of mouth, not by making astronomical claims. US magazines don't feature Mexican Drs for free ;)

Lots of physicians & surgeons pay for the advertisement in Newsweek and advertise it. There are big cities with magazines that do the same. For instance, it's a big deal for a physician to be listed in "7" magazine (Las Vegas), but they can pay for a larger "article" about them instead of just the small paragraph. I would need a lot more than a mention in a magazine to help me make my choice of any surgeon. I was really glad to have the feedback from the forum to help me.

He did my surgery just fine. Still has legit medical certifications at a Center of Excellence that you can verify.

I knew going in the Newsweek thing is advertising tool. There are a lot of docs that use the Newsweek thing for advertising...why not shame on Newsweek?. You have to do your due diligence selecting a surgeon in Mexico or anywhere for that matter.

It's like showing up in Mexico for surgery only to find out that the "hospital" isn't what we would consider a hospital at all. Got to do the homework up front to be sure what you are getting.

Just so you know that being a Center of Excellence means that the have to do so many surgeries a month to get that title. I went to a weight loss seminar at a local hospital and the surgeon said they were a Center of Excellence then he explained how they got that title.

How many surgeries? Curiosity...

The Surgical Review Corporation measures how many procedures are done annually, ensures the facility is tracking outcomes, has specific staff in place nutrionist/cardiologist, standardized operating procedures, patient support and methods to track long term data. Number of surgeries is only one measure, but the website below says they only have to have performed 125 'qualified' procedures in their lifetime. Most of the bariatric doctors in Mexico are doing many more than 125 a month!

Here is the link to the 'Center of Excellence' requirements: http://www.surgicalreview.org/coembs/requirements/

Thank you! Well what do you know, I was also operated on in a center of excellence lol! Just not officially, but those requirements are far from difficult unless its a stand alone surgical center.

I am NOT a fan or Ortiz or his thug staff and moderators.

He did my lapband and there is no way I would go back to him for my revision. ever.

When he first began doing the revision, he was not sewing tight enough and a few patients were having to go back and get a tighter sleeve.

That was two years ago, so I hope by now this would be a non-issue

Newsweek Showcase has NOTHING to do with the Newsweek Magazine. It's just a company started to ripe off, and get paid for, the Newsweek name. It's like me starting a company and calling it "Times Showcase."

So there is no standard for being featured in on this advertising site other than paying extra money. That's it. Nothing else.

I am NOT a fan or Ortiz or his thug staff and moderators.

He did my lapband and there is no way I would go back to him for my revision. ever.

When he first began doing the revision, he was not sewing tight enough and a few patients were having to go back and get a tighter sleeve.

That was two years ago, so I hope by now this would be a non-issue

Yeah, he messed up a lot of people's lapbands. He placed it on one person's esophageous. But then other people absolutely love him so I'm guessing with time and training he's drastically improved. You know with any skill, the more you do, the better you get.

He has alot of very zealot followers who want to draw blood for saying any truth about him.

Every doctor has good and bad. I think some more than others.