Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My ailments will NOT define me!

Like many overweight folks, I've had plenty of ailments that have kept me down. Besides my weight, I had no issues until I turned 30 (6 years ago)! Then, I went downhill from there: acid reflux, asthma, bad gallbladder, pleurisy, chronic Migraines, herniated disk with sciatic pinch that resulted in permanent loss of feeling in my right foot, s-l-o-w healing after WLS, a stroke last month, then most recently unexplained vision loss.

But, you know what I say to all those ailments now?? "F you! You hit like a girl. You will NOT keep me down because I am determined to live a happy, healthy life in SPITE of all those things trying to stop me."

I know I'm very blessed that (with the exception of the stroke) none of my ailments are life threatening. And, the stroke was very minor... I didn't even know it happened. An MRI to investigate my vision loss showed the stroke. (Incidentally, the stroke and vision loss are unrelated as the MRI showed the stroke actually occurred 2-3 weeks prior to the loss of vision). But, it had been a daily struggle not to let those ailments overpower my willpower. So, I have had enough of them ruling my life!

I've started running.... and not just in the movie theater to get the best seat in the house. I'm training for a 5k. I'm very much a novice (can only go one mile alternating wogging and walking.... and it takes 20 minutes). But, I'm moving and that's what counts! And, I will not get discouraged if I'm the slowest one there. I'm doing this for me and no one else there! I've always wanted to be a runner. When I close my eyes and picture myself at goal, I'm running every morning and keeping active with my everyday life. Then, I realized I didn't have to wait for goal to do that! (ah-ha moment!!). :-D

~Jenn

Sounds like you are doing AWESOME!!! Hopefully as you keep pushing and getting healthier, the health issues will be just a distant memory. Keep up the good work!!!

A good positive attitude is half the battle and girl you got it!! Hook, line, and sinker!! There is no doubt you are going to succeed in anything you do. Rub some if that good energy on me please. God Bless You!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!

Go girl. You have a sparkling outlook and the right attitude. Buddha says that resistance to what *is*, is the cause of suffering, and I fully espouse that notion. We should not resist what is happening; the messy, the glorious, the painful, the wonderful. Accept it and look to the richness of our lives past these things; stay in the moment, and maintain an attitude of gratitude.