Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever been asked "are you big enough for that?" When u told someone about you decision??? Idky that bothers me, but it does! It's like, duh I'm big enough, I weigh 257 pounds!!!

I've actually been asked that a few times. I am very tall and I guess I carry my weight well. Most people had no idea what I really weighed...and that's ok. I just took it as a compliment, but I still had my sleeve and 7 weeks later I know I made the best decision for me!!

Yes! Someone told me the same thing. When I told her I weighed 259 lbs she couldn't believe it!

Yea, I guess we should just take it as a compliment but, geez, if I weren't big enough I wouldn't be getting it! Lol. I guess I'm just still a little sensitive!

I've never had anyone ask me, yet. However, when my brother-in-law was having it done, I thought that he didn't really look big enough to have it done. Once I saw him after he'd lost the weight though, Holy Cow! I barely recognized him. I wonder if folks just get used to us looking the way we do and don't really "see" us.

I've never had anyone ask me' date=' yet. However, when my brother-in-law was having it done, I thought that he didn't really look big enough to have it done. Once I saw him after he'd lost the weight though, Holy Cow! I barely recognized him. I wonder if folks just get used to us looking the way we do and don't really "see" us.[/quote']

Yeah I think they don't really see us. I wondered myself if I was big enough initially. And folks are always surprised by how much I weigh.

I've been told that countless times! Once I've revealed my weight, they say that I just carry my weight well. It probably helps that I am a litlle tall. I have also been told that I can do it on my own, that I do not need the surgery. My response is: If I could do it on my own, i would have done it 10 years ago! The fact of the matter is that I am obese. This holiday season I transitioned into the morbidly obese category and I have finally said enough. I want to take control over my health and weight again.

Stick to your decision. Don't let negativity or others who do not understand what you are going through affect what you know is right for you. Good luck to you!

I don't think most people realize that asking "are you big enough" is almost like asking "are you smart enough for that?" when someone says they're going to college or learning a new skill. It seems like you handled it gracefully, though--good for you for seeing it as a compliment!

I'd guess that their motive is either that they have no idea what our actual weight is, or that they think only people who get their own reality show or National Geographic documentary for being so obese that EMTs had to call for a crane and knock out walls to help them exit their home are really qualified for WLS. So think of yourself as a "sleeve ambassador" to people who have no idea. They're going to learn a lot from your experience!

In the hospital my nurse came right out and said... "Are you my gastric sleeve patient?" When I told her yes she said "I can't believe it. You are tiny." All I could think was if 214lbs is tiny she was crazy.

I teach middle school, and every once in a while, you'll see an 8th grader who is as tall and solidly built as a linebacker, with a mustache and five o'clock shadow after lunchtime. Then there will be a kid of the same age who is so short and slightly-built, you think they must have gotten lost on their way from 5th grade. I bet it's like that for nurses--they see so many patients in a month or a year, or multiple years--seeing someone who's on the lower end of the surgery weight scale might surprise them. Their idea of "normal size for surgery" can get skewed if they're used to seeing people much heavier. If I get those comments (I'm 238 lbs.), I'll take 'em as a compliment. B)

I'm tall too and my highest was 296 but normally 280. People have asked if I was big enough to do the surgery. They also say they don't see me as an overweight person. I take it as a compliment and am relieved they don't see me the way I see myself!

I went for my 2 week checkup and they guy behind me sd HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN. i sd 2weeks. he said U MUST BE OUT OF YOUR MIND U R GOING TO BE A BONE I DONT WANNA BE THAT SMALL. i felt awful then the other patients looked at me like i didnt belong there. Tho my bmi was at 39 along w other medical issues and im 5"7. I felt terrible like i was being self centered and shld hv tried harder to loose weight w out the sleeve. How ever i got home and tried on some 16-18 and they slid right on. So im happy i made the choice and that my insurance and dr agreed it was a great choice.

I have never said it, but I did think of it during group consultations. I do think it is because of height and how different people carry their weight. I would never say it to anyone - no one is going to have this surgery or be approved if they didn't need it. But, I don't think anyone means to be rude- they are just envious and curious. Bottom line- it's no ones business but yours.

Agreed, I had a nurse ask me that. I'm at 39% BMI and 235 pounds, that's 100 pounds more than the doctor says is my healthy BMI, if that's not big enough that's crazy! But yes I don't think anyone would go through this, nor would the doctors perform it if there was absolutely no reason. Come on people! But I just shrugged it off and said "thanks". :D